First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Both the A2Z and Lectron websites indicate that the adapters can be purchased now and will ship in January or maybe even in December. The A2Z adapter is selling for $201 and I've seen the Lectron adapter selling for as little as $179. I have no information on when or how Tesla will open the Supercharger network to non-Tesla charging.

Sorry if you thought this was some breaking news from Tesla or Ford.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
The A2Z website says that they have been in communication with eight OEMs about their adapter. The Ford “certified” adapter may actually be the A2Z adapter with Ford or Tesla badging.. The big question is will Ford give away the adapter for free or at a discount and we will just have to wait to find that out.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I see absolutely no reason to buy an adapter before Tesla makes it possible for us to use one.

I see very little reason to buy a 3rd party adapter before Ford announces if they're free or not, or at least gives us pricing.

Throwing my 2 cents in, I could see Ford sending it free to anyone that bought new since the announcement. Or some arbitrary date, like they have when people bought just before a price reduction. But I sincerely doubt everyone is getting one for free back to the Job1 MMEs. No matter what, we've suffered through the worst when it comes to charging, no reason to get hasty now.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
But I sincerely doubt everyone is getting one for free back to the Job1 MMEs.
The 2017 and 2018 Ford Focus Electric also had CCS so Ford would have to go back a bit further than Job1 MME. I owned a 2017 FFE for about a year. The FFE was actually a fun car and if Ford hadn’t short changed it on options like Adaptive Cruise Control I would have kept it much longer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
According to Ford Media press release...
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...n-access-to-12-000-tesla-superchargers--.html

The A2Z website says that they have been in communication with eight OEMs about their adapter. The Ford “certified” adapter may actually be the A2Z adapter with Ford or Tesla badging.
"A Tesla-developed adapter will provide Ford F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E and E-Transit vehicles fitted with the Combined Charging System (CCS) port access to Tesla’s V3 Superchargers."
So nope, Ford's adapters are coming straight from the mothership. I'm choosing to wait.

The 2017 and 2018 Ford Focus Electric also had CCS so Ford would have to go back a bit further than Job1 MME.
"Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning and E-Transit customers will be able to access the Superchargers via an adapter and software integration along with activation and payment via FordPass or Ford Pro Intelligence"
So nope, FFE owners are being left behind.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
The 2017 and 2018 Ford Focus Electric also had CCS so Ford would have to go back a bit further than Job1 MME. I owned a 2017 FFE for about a year. The FFE was actually a fun car and if Ford hadn’t short changed it on options like Adaptive Cruise Control I would have kept it much longer.
I still have my 2017 FFE and I'm expecting us to receive two FREE adapters from Ford (one for my FFE and one for my wife's Lightning), based on Jim Farley's own words:

“We’re going to ship an adapter to everyone who’s bought a Ford EV,” Farley said. “This is not just for the future, it’s for all the people who already bought our vehicles. So they’ll get an adapter from Ford, they go on FordPass, they pick the payment option they want, all the billing is the same as it is today, so it’s going to be super easy.”

(See this article for this quote: https://fordauthority.com/2023/05/all-current-ford-ev-owners-will-get-tesla-nacs-adapter/ )

Of course, just how "easy" it will be to use with FordPass remains to be seen. o_O

So nope, FFE owners are being left behind.
Only if Ford has redefined what the words "everyone" and "all the people" mean (see above quote).

Of course, we should hear what @Ford Motor Company has to say officially.

Last edited:

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Did you see anywhere where Farley said they would be provided free? Not trying to be argumentative just want to know if we will get something if we are patient? Seems like there is a ton of feelings and thoughts on what we previous owners are entitled to but little on substance.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Did you see anywhere where Farley said they would be provided free? Not trying to be argumentative just want to know if we will get something if we are patient? Seems like there is a ton of feelings and thoughts on what we previous owners are entitled to but little on substance.
When this first came out, I brought up the point you mention on an FFE forum - there was something in my initial read that made me think you might have to order it through Ford Pass "after entering you credit card information". That was a bit of extrapolation on my part, because of what he said at the end of the quote. However, that bit was for setting up payment, presumably for being able to use the Tesla superchargers. His words describe them shipping out the adapter BEFORE you have to enter payment information. So there is a strong implication that it does not involve payment.

Granted, his words clearly avoid saying outright that it will be provided free of charge, even for purchasers of Lightnings, MMEs, and Transit vans going forward.

We will have to wait and see how the treatment of existing owners is compared to future owners.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
I want to wait and get the Ford certified adapter. Or should it matter?
Yeah, I'm waiting to see which one(s) Ford and Tesla endorse. It's not like we can use it just yet. I don't expect Ford to send the adapter to any of us for free (as Rivian has promised), but would not be surprised if they include the adapter with 2024 model year vehicles.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
When this first came out, I brought up the point you mention on an FFE forum - there was something in my initial read that made me think you might have to order it through Ford Pass "after entering you credit card information". That was a bit of extrapolation on my part, because of what he said at the end of the quote. However, that bit was for setting up payment, presumably for being able to use the Tesla superchargers. His words describe them shipping out the adapter BEFORE you have to enter payment information. So there is a strong implication that it does not involve payment.

Granted, his words clearly avoid saying outright that it will be provided free of charge, even for purchasers of Lightnings, MMEs, and Transit vans going forward.

We will have to wait and see how the treatment of existing owners is compared to future owners.
I'm a used Lightning buyer. I asked the Ford Pass folks if they would probably send any Tesla adaptor to the old owner. They assured me that they would not and that it would be sent to me free.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

mikenky

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 tesla model y and 16 chevy volt
Occupation
retired

it says pick your payment

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
While not expecting a free charger**, when Farley said pick a payment he was referring to the charging session in Ford Pass - not paying for the adapter. Watch the video. He condensed the whole Tesla partnership into a couple of sentences. “We’ll send an adapter, you roll into a Supercharger station, open FordPass, pick a payment and charge away, easy peasy.”

** Farley has said a lot of things that didn’t pan out-transparent pricing, better online experience (can only order a ‘24 at dealer), making dealers more accountable, etc. Would love a free adapter but I’m afraid it’s just another empty promise.

Last edited:

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
In the Twitter spaces announcement Musk (when discussing the adapter) stated "it will not be cost prohibitive... it will be something that is quite affordable... in the hundreds of dollars range".

Watch the 14:10 to 16:10 mark of this video.

In the CNBC video (below) Farley says "We're gonna ship an adapter to everyone that has bought a Ford EV " in this interview. It does not say "ship for free", but I agree one could easily construe it that way. Since I heard Musk's comments first, I figured Farley simply spoke a bit clumsily during a live interview.

So my understanding is Tesla is making the adapters and will be charging the manufacturers. The question is does each manufacturer eat the cost, or pass it along to the customer. Hard to say, but based on the way Ford nickel and dime people on the pitiful compensation for deleted items due to missing supply chain items I would not expect them to be so generous on this particular issue.
Sponsored