• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Never thought it'd happen to me...

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully it settles after a few hours or the next few 20-80 charging cycles.
Sponsored

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
In the first picture you are on the charger and in the second you are not, that will affect any voltage variation reported.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
In the first picture you are on the charger and in the second you are not, that will affect any voltage variation reported.
You're right! I must have attached the wrong screenshot hang on. I've monitored my pack statistics plenty of times and it's never strayed far from that pre-event screenshot, but lemme find the correct one.

OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Here's the correct pre-event screenshot without the charger connected

Ford F-150 Lightning Never thought it'd happen to me... Screenshot_20240405_134733

Sponsored
OP
OP
ctuan13

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. The thing that gets me is you saying it cut out a minute after being at 5% SOC. That could really throw off the "slow down enough to manage remaining SOC" strategy.

I wonder if you might have been able to start back up and get there (unhitched) if the truck sat for a bit and cells/BMS stabilized a bit.
Oh believe me,I tried, it was dead, dead.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I don't have a deep understanding of the Ford F-150 Lightning BMS, but it must has some kind of cell balancing going on internally, either when charging, discharging or both.

In these large batteries that clearly could/should take many hours to accomplish.

I imagine fast charging, charging to "100%" and the reverse, discharging too fast or too far, could be expected to lead to some temporary cell imbalances, since the BMS needs time to balance the cells longer than the time it takes to fast charge, for example.

However, doesn't the Ford BMS have safeguards to prevent permanent damage due to overcharging or over discharging as is suspected in the present case?

So, how does one know whether these cell balances detected in the case in question represent serious/permanent damage or not, or if the slow but eventual BMS rebalancing will be able to restore the battery to full health?

I would guess that remeasuring the battery data or a period of days might be required to get a handle on that?
Sponsored