• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New guy problems

Mrvette

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hi all,
Just picked up my new XLT Lightning last night. I put the charger together and plugged it in to the regular wall socket. The light on the charger turned yellow and I plugged it in to the truck, and nothing. Tried it a few more times, jiggled it and nothing. Is there a button on the dash or somewhere that I missed pushing. I have to put up with the regular wall plug until I gather all the materials to put a dedicated charger in the garage. I called the dealer and they said to call service in the am.
Thanks,
Rick
Sponsored

cyclops

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Mach-E, 2023 Raptor R
If it is just the amber light that is on, try removing and replacing the 120V dongle from the top of the charger. Error light meanings posted below:

Service

Ford F-150 Lightning New guy problems 1

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
First thing I'd do is take the dongle out and reseat it. It's a bit tough to get it fully seated sometimes and that will cause a fault.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Is it Standard Range (SR) or Extended Range (ER)? Did you get a Level 2 charger with the truck?

OP
OP

Mrvette

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired
Hi all,
Sorry for the basic questions. I'm sure I will have a few more. The truck is the standard range and is beautiful. I will try reconnecting the plug. Is there a short list of the material I need to run a line to the garage, it's about 60 feet.

Thanks,
Rick

Sponsored

Dom630

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If by chance you live in an older home (built pre-1970) its possible that your outlet may not be grounded. The ford "charger" will not function without a ground. I ran into this problem before installing a dedicated 240v outlet in my 1950's built home.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Is there a short list of the material I need to run a line to the garage, it's about 60 feet.
Not really, there are so many variables concerning your existing system. Best bet is have an electrician come and give you an estimate.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you plug in the charger and it doesn't show a blue light, then stop and reset the dongle or try another outlet. Until you get a blue light showing, no sense in plugging it into the truck.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Woohoo!! The truck is now charging. It may take a day or two but it's working. I think the outlet was the problem. Thanks so much from a newbie.

Rick
Or 3.

It will charge at the rate of 1.1kW per hour. Take the percent battery you're at, and do the math, and you'll know how long it will take (you should be charging to 90%, see below).

(98 x (.9 - X)) /1.1

Assuming you're at 20% SOC, (98x (.9-.2)) / 1.1 = 62.4 hours.

To set the charging level, after it's been charging go in the truck, into charging, and you can pick the location and set the limit. Or, more quickly, you can pick a one-time limit of 90%.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
while some of us are 'electrically confident', and handle our own electrical needs, there's no way we can help you with yours - there are just WAY too many variables.

it's like folks who compare their own Auto insurance to another family's Auto insurance - there are SO many variables that even what might 'look' the same, is NEVER exactly the same.

OP
OP

Mrvette

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired
I was at 35% but it's still a long time.

Rick

OP
OP

Mrvette

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning XLT
Occupation
Retired
What % charge is the lowest that battery could be run down safely? I don't know if that was phrased right, but is there a cut off point?

Rick

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
What % charge is the lowest that battery could be run down safely? I don't know if that was phrased right, but is there a cut off point?
There is no "real" cutoff point but from what I've read about charging levels I've learned that most, (not all), use the 80/20 rule, meaning don't charge above 80% and don't discharge below 20%. Some charge up to 90 and 95%. Only charge to 100% when traveling long distances. It's also best to store the truck at around 50% charge if storing for long periods of time.
Sponsored