• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

New sodium 12v battery from Ohmmu

ciferguson37733

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
I have the Ohmmu lithium on both the Lightning and MME.
- Better life for the use case (deep cycling)
- Has a Bluetooth BMS to track SOC, volts, amps
- Has the ability to turn off the battery rather than wait for days for it to go dead before modules reset if that is needed. No need to carry a 10mm wrench. You can always get into the lightning, but not so with the MME - may have to wait for the battery to go dead.

So far so good. But still does not solve the issue of the lightning waking up at midnight for some reason and draining the battery. Still working on figuring out what’s happening there.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Has anybody tried to modify the battery compartment to hold a 12V of a different physical size? It would be great to get a regular AGM battery with more capacity and from a brand other than Ford. So far I haven't found an aftermarket AGM battery that will fit.

Sponsored

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I have the Ohmmu lithium on both the Lightning and MME.
- Better life for the use case (deep cycling)
- Has a Bluetooth BMS to track SOC, volts, amps
- Has the ability to turn off the battery rather than wait for days for it to go dead before modules reset if that is needed. No need to carry a 10mm wrench. You can always get into the lightning, but not so with the MME - may have to wait for the battery to go dead.

So far so good. But still does not solve the issue of the lightning waking up at midnight for some reason and draining the battery. Still working on figuring out what’s happening there.
Do you have the link to the item for purchase? Did you have to do any modifications in order to install?

mb0220

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER

ciferguson37733

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Manager
Do you have the link to the item for purchase? Did you have to do any modifications in order to install?
10 min install on the lightning
No mods
Be sure to update the battery firmware and set its configuration as a Lightning. That is all done with your cell phone

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
I read somewhere (a forum post) that if you swap out the 12v battery the battery management system for the LVB will have problems.
The set points (terminal voltages) might be different?

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/posts/385610/bookmark

From the Mach-E site:

Can I replace the stock AGM battery with bigger size?

Yes, however this is not recommended because of the additional issues it can cause. The stock battery is an H3 size, the battery tray has another set of holes to hold a larger H4 size battery, which will fit. However, a battery with a larger capacity will not play well with the BMS system. It expects a 35 Ah capacity AGM. The H4 battery is 33% larger, so the BMS will not be able accurately measure or utilize the extra capacity beyond 35 Ah. As a result, the larger battery may be chronically undercharged, causing early failure. In other words, it might make things worse, not better.

Can I replace the AGM battery with a lithium or LFP battery?

No, bad idea. 12V lithium batteries operate at a different voltage setpoint than 12V AGM batteries. The charging and BMS system of the Mach-E is calibrated for AGM chemistry only. If you put in a lithium battery, the BMS will not measure the state of charge % correctly, and the lithium battery may not be charged fully due to the lower voltage setpoint of AGM. For example, while driving the voltage is normally held around 12.9V, this will perfectly maintain an AGM at 100%, but a lithium battery will only be held at 20% SoC. This means a lithium battery will gradually discharge while driving to 20%. Load shed will activate, causing your radio, HVAC, and accessories to shut down while driving.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/12v-battery-faq.32744/

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Thanks.

Yes I get that, I thought it was Ford's position to stick with a 35AH AGM though wasn't it?
I've read so many posts about the LVB it's all a blur now.

Interesting that there is an emulation going on.

I just wonder how the Ford warranty is going to react if something goes wrong with the 12v circuits and they see the AGM has been replaced with a non-compliant battery?

Anyway, with the AGM battery we've got, the BMS to keep it healthy seems to be poorly designed hence the update issues people are having, as well as LV battery failures.

I guess I'll wait until the 3 year warranty is up before I try something different.
Sponsored