• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ODDLY LOW BATTERY RANGE

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
The battery is warranted to have a minimum of 70% capacity at 8 years or 100,000 miles. Where did you get 10% per year?
I will have right at 100,000 miles in three years.
Sponsored

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Very reliable authorities.
This is not my first forum. I am usually the one making these type comments. I left out the context of 30-35,000 miles a year driving which I have done for the past 25+ years. I thought it was understood from a previous post I made. Also, I am posting real world data from actually owning a Lightning since June. I would have 13,000+ miles on the truck if it had not spent over three weeks at the Ford dealer service department.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
This is not my first forum. I am usually the one making these type comments. I left out the context of 30-35,000 miles a year driving which I have done for the past 25+ years. I thought it was understood from a previous post I made. Also, I am posting real world data from actually owning a Lightning since June. I would have 13,000+ miles on the truck if it had not spent over three weeks at the Ford dealer service department.
You made the following statement:

So, if battery degradation is supposed to be 10% per year, what if you drive more miles than most?

When challenged on this statement, which is false, you said:

That is just the norm for EV batteries isn't it? I have been told that by Tesla owners several times. What is Ford going to do if a bunch of Ford owners bring their trucks in with 69% or lower at 90,000 miles. How do they even measure the 70% based on original mileage capacity. What happened to the driving habits, weather, etc?

I was making a comment that the people you got information from, "Tesla owners", have no clue what they are talking about. I wanted to make sure that people that read your statement about battery degradation knew that it was absolutely false. You seemed to not grasp that Ford guarantees that at 8 years / 100,000 miles the battery will be at least 70% of original capacity, or higher (and they expect to beat that handily).

You aren't posting real world data about EV battery degradation, you're posting nonsense. I suggest you get an OBD reader and app and pull your actual battery degradation and post facts.

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
You made the following statement:

So, if battery degradation is supposed to be 10% per year, what if you drive more miles than most?

When challenged on this statement, which is false, you said:

That is just the norm for EV batteries isn't it? I have been told that by Tesla owners several times. What is Ford going to do if a bunch of Ford owners bring their trucks in with 69% or lower at 90,000 miles. How do they even measure the 70% based on original mileage capacity. What happened to the driving habits, weather, etc?

I was making a comment that the people you got information from, "Tesla owners", have no clue what they are talking about. I wanted to make sure that people that read your statement about battery degradation knew that it was absolutely false. You seemed to not grasp that Ford guarantees that at 8 years / 100,000 miles the battery will be at least 70% of original capacity, or higher (and they expect to beat that handily).

You aren't posting real world data about EV battery degradation, you're posting nonsense. I suggest you get an OBD reader and app and pull your actual battery degradation and post facts.
I am not posting nonsense. My truck has bad battery modules that need to be replaced, but obviously takes time to track down and replace based on availability per the Ford service department. I would love to be posting that everything is sunshine and daisies with my Lightning, but it has not been since the delivery date. I love the truck, it is beautiful and great when it is running without errors.

I have not covered how I did not get my Charge Station Pro until three weeks after purchase. Or, that I thought I had a bad charge station pro because I would get 20-30 error messages a day stating something had went wrong and it had quit charging on my Ford pass app. After two weeks of that I was on the phone with Ford trying to get a new Charge Station Pro when it miraculously quit happening a few days later. This was 20-30 error messages a day for weeks. This was after having the electrician back out to make sure it was installed correctly (it was). Could the problems with the charge station pro have damaged the batteries? How did they fix it through updates?

I had them check out the battery because it was down to 240 miles from 306 miles at my 10,000 mile service. This did not happen gradually. He said everything checked out fine then. I got the standard, driving habits, slower and faster, weather response as it is 70 degrees outside. That is when I started having battery degradation concerns. Especially since I drive more miles than most people. My 2018 F-150 has 125,000 miles and it was driven two months short of four years. My previous F-150 had 136,000 miles after four years. So, when I see a 70%/100,000 mile warranty on battery degradition I know that is three years for me and 10% per year.

Not a week later I had two separate powertrain malfunction messages four days apart. With this error you cannot drive over 15 mph. Well, up a hill it is less than 5 mph. The second time, I was on a hill and I could not get up the hill. These errors did go away after 2+ hours, but it is a sign that something is wrong. How many here want to sit on the side of the road waiting for 2+ hours for their truck to be drivable or towed?

Now, the service department states I have battery modules that need to be replaced, but it takes time to track them down and more time to get the parts. This was ten days after getting my truck back from my 10,000 mile service where they said everything was fine. I know this is a new vehicle for Ford, so there can be growing pains. But, these problems have me concerned. I have owned 6+ F-150s in a row and never had any issues with any of them.

Maybe I wasn't clear on my previous posts about my average driving miles. I certainly don't like typing this much. But this real world experience and not nonsense.

When you actually get your truck, I hope you have none of these problems. If you do, I am sure you will know exactly what is wrong.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a word of what you just posted addresses the false information you posted earlier - that EV batteries degrade 10% a year - which they do not.

Sponsored

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Not a word of what you just posted addresses the false information you posted earlier - that EV batteries degrade 10% a year - which they do not.
I spoke to my Tesla buddies and they said I misheard what they said. They said 10% the first year. That is just what they told me. Plus, they stated never to charge over 90% on the Tesla which does not make sense either.

Now, for an update on my truck. Trust your instincts when it comes to battery life and problems from that. I took my 2022 Lightning to the Ford Service Department after the last "power train failure" on November 18th. After being told everything checks out fine the week before, they now said I had a battery failure and they needed to order a new battery module. After 76 days, I finally have my truck back. After charging to full it now says 309 miles to empty. It was saying 218 miles to empty on a full charge when I took the truck in. After several promises and "ordering broken parts" that took 76 days I am hoping all my truck problems are gone. So, trust your instincts. Take the so called "experts" on here with a grain of salt and get your truck checked out if you see major drops in mileage per charge. Temperature and driving habits do affect some things, but large discrepancies probably mean something else. 75 days, it cost me an average of $100 a week in gas I would not have spent and two full car payments without having a vehicle. Yet, I stayed calm, never asked for a loaner and patiently waited for them to solve the problem without rushing it back.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You should have asked for a loaner. Ford will likely pay for your gas, and cover car payments. That range you see is not accurate. It will adjust to your driving, and temps as you put on miles.

309 would mean 2.35m per kWh. 218 would be 1.66. In the dead of winter, 1.7 is quite accurate. See what your miles per kilowatt is and multiply by 131, your battery size. That is your range.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I spoke to my Tesla buddies and they said I misheard what they said. They said 10% the first year. That is just what they told me. Plus, they stated never to charge over 90% on the Tesla which does not make sense either.

Now, for an update on my truck. Trust your instincts when it comes to battery life and problems from that. I took my 2022 Lightning to the Ford Service Department after the last "power train failure" on November 18th. After being told everything checks out fine the week before, they now said I had a battery failure and they needed to order a new battery module. After 76 days, I finally have my truck back. After charging to full it now says 309 miles to empty. It was saying 218 miles to empty on a full charge when I took the truck in. After several promises and "ordering broken parts" that took 76 days I am hoping all my truck problems are gone. So, trust your instincts. Take the so called "experts" on here with a grain of salt and get your truck checked out if you see major drops in mileage per charge. Temperature and driving habits do affect some things, but large discrepancies probably mean something else. 75 days, it cost me an average of $100 a week in gas I would not have spent and two full car payments without having a vehicle. Yet, I stayed calm, never asked for a loaner and patiently waited for them to solve the problem without rushing it back.
Are you in a colder climate? If so, it only says 309 because Ford changed the range estimator calculation to show higher than realistic numbers when the battery is near fully charged so they can avoid people calling them complaining their truck is broken. A few weeks ago when they pushed the update my range estimates at full charge went from 230-250 to 300+. There’s no way in hell i’m going to get 300 miles of range in February in the northeast. 218 miles is a more realistic range estimate than 309 for winter climates in the northern US. Run your battery down to 40-50% and the range estimator will get much more accurate. The calculation adds more artificial miles the higher the percentage.

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Are you in a colder climate? If so, it only says 309 because Ford changed the range estimator calculation to show higher than realistic numbers when the battery is near fully charged so they can avoid people calling them complaining their truck is broken. A few weeks ago when they pushed the update my range estimates at full charge went from 230-250 to 300+. There’s no way in hell i’m going to get 300 miles of range in February in the northeast. 218 miles is a more realistic range estimate than 309 for winter climates in the northern US. Run your battery down to 40-50% and the range estimator will get much more accurate. The calculation adds more artificial miles the higher the percentage.
Nope, I am in Texas and we do get short spells under 40 degrees, most Winter days are in the 40-70 degree range. What I discovered is that the mileage estimates appear to be for city driving at 30-40 mph. When doing highway driving 55-70 mph, the mileage estimates drop dramatically. City driving will say 2.5-2.7 miles per kilowatt, but it drops to 1.8-2.0 when highway driving. While it makes sense, it completely ruins the idea of long trip with the electric truck. If you have to pull over and charge ever 200-250 miles (three hours) it is just not worth it. I still have my 2018 F-150 diesel that gets 600 miles to a tank. Which makes it more practical.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Nope, I am in Texas and we do get short spells under 40 degrees, most Winter days are in the 40-70 degree range. What I discovered is that the mileage estimates appear to be for city driving at 30-40 mph. When doing highway driving 55-70 mph, the mileage estimates drop dramatically. City driving will say 2.5-2.7 miles per kilowatt, but it drops to 1.8-2.0 when highway driving. While it makes sense, it completely ruins the idea of long trip with the electric truck. If you have to pull over and charge ever 200-250 miles (three hours) it is just not worth it. I still have my 2018 F-150 diesel that gets 600 miles to a tank. Which makes it more practical.
Yeah, it's a tradeoff. I'd rather have the electric truck with 200 miles of range, 580hp/775tq, minimal maintenance, home charging, home backup, etc. over a diesel truck with 600 miles per tank. I've driven long distance with my Lightning, charging for 30 minutes every few hours isn't a big deal to me. And, really, that only happens on long road trips which I don't do very often. I do a lot of 150-300 mile round trip drives. Most of the time that doesn't require a charging stop at all but even when I need to stop for a charge it's only 5-10 minutes to charge enough to finish the trip. The biggest issue right now is that the public fast charging network isn't very good. I don't blame anyone for avoiding the Lightning (or any non-Tesla EV) for that reason alone.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
The estimated range (or GOM) depends on internal factors (speed, acceleration, braking, HVAC use, other devices) and external factors (temperature, wind, road grade) and is averaged over many miles of actual driving. For example my SR is currently showing 288 miles of range:
Ford F-150 Lightning ODDLY LOW BATTERY RANGE Screenshot_20230206_111711_FordPass

I have no illusion that if I drive on the highway, I will see nowhere near that range.
Sponsored