• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ODDLY LOW BATTERY RANGE

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Try leaving the charger plugged in all night, pre-condition w/ departure time before driving, turn off climate controls, use seat heater and steering wheel heater.

Didn't you know that cold temps has a negative effect on batteries?

Obvious no research was done before buying a $80K vehicle...
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Try leaving the charger plugged in all night, pre-condition w/ departure time before driving, turn off climate controls, use seat heater and steering wheel heater.

Didn't you know that cold temps has a negative effect on batteries?

Obvious no research was done before buying a $80K vehicle...
Ford F-150 Lightning ODDLY LOW BATTERY RANGE shrinkage

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
  • How many mi/kWh are your trip meters showing?
  • Where does the consumption graph show your energy usage?
Don't take the range guesstimates too serioulsy until it gets good data about your driving style and weather, 40ÂşF is enough to show range reduction.
So are the mi/kwh just guess too? If one is not reliable, why not the other?

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Mine is at the Ford dealer right now with bad battery modules to be replaced. So, it may not be the driving habits. It may not be the weather. It may be a problem with the batteries. Don't rule it out. Have you had a power train error yet? You don't want that happening in the middle of nowhere. How many have 10,000 miles on their truck like I do. So, if battery degradation is supposed to be 10% per year, what if you drive more miles than most?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine is at the Ford dealer right now with bad battery modules to be replaced. So, it may not be the driving habits. It may not be the weather. It may be a problem with the batteries. Don't rule it out. Have you had a power train error yet? You don't want that happening in the middle of nowhere. How many have 10,000 miles on their truck like I do. So, if battery degradation is supposed to be 10% per year, what if you drive more miles than most?
The battery is warranted to have a minimum of 70% capacity at 8 years or 100,000 miles. Where did you get 10% per year?

Sponsored

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
That is just the norm for EV batteries isn't it? I have been told that by Tesla owners several times. What is Ford going to do if a bunch of Ford owners bring their trucks in with 69% or lower at 90,000 miles. How do they even measure the 70% based on original mileage capacity. What happened to the driving habits, weather, etc?

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
My F150 is garage kept, but the dealer is storing it outside while they are working on it. Isn't that bad for the battery?

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
So are the mi/kwh just guess too? If one is not reliable, why not the other?
Miles per kilowatt hour is actual miles driven divided by actual energy consumed. If you know your consumption on the current trip, it's easy to get an accurate range that you will achieve driving like you're driving today. You can modify your driving, either faster or slower.

The big Range Guess number is algorithm based historical driving data and other factors. Both can be helpful. I'd rather use the guess as validation for what is happening on the current trip.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is just the norm for EV batteries isn't it? I have been told that by Tesla owners several times. What is Ford going to do if a bunch of Ford owners bring their trucks in with 69% or lower at 90,000 miles. How do they even measure the 70% based on original mileage capacity. What happened to the driving habits, weather, etc?
No, it is not the norm. It's not even reality. Stop talking to uninformed people.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The battery is warranted to have a minimum of 70% capacity at 8 years or 100,000 miles. Where did you get 10% per year?
Very reliable authorities.

Sponsored

thicks

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Miles per kilowatt hour is actual miles driven divided by actual energy consumed. If you know your consumption on the current trip, it's easy to get an accurate range that you will achieve driving like you're driving today. You can modify your driving, either faster or slower.

The big Range Guess number is algorithm based historical driving data and other factors. Both can be helpful. I'd rather use the guess as validation for what is happening on the current trip.
Yeah, I watch that too, but maybe because I have some bad battery modules, I am getting weird readings. Typically, I get between 2.1-2.5, but after getting the powertrain error, I was below 2, which had never happened before. Not all of us can do only city driving. We have toll roads around here with 75 mph, regular highways are 70 mph. I have over 10,000 miles logged and I have watched my average range drop monthly. Once again, it could be because it has bad battery modules, but it will take a while to get repairs done and I want to see if anything changes when repaired. These are new vehicles and there is not enough real world data to rely on yet. Honestly, how many F150 Lightning owners have 10,000 miles logged like I have yet? So, you can see why I am questioning battery degradation and actual ranges.

Modify your driving, faster or slower? I don't want to be holding up traffic or setting an extreme pace either. I try to drive the posted speed limits.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
If it was Telsa owners telling you this then there would a lot of Telsa vehicles out there with 0% battery. A lot of 10 year old plus Teslas out there.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
No, it is not the norm. It's not even reality. Stop talking to uninformed people.
FWIW, there are PIDs that provide the date the battery was installed and what % the battery degradation the truck measures. I assume Ford will use the purchase date/Milage and the % reading from the truck’s PID for warranty issues. You can easily check yours using an OBD reader and CarScanner (iApp)/TorquePro (Android) if your curious/concerned…….

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Yeah, I watch that too, but maybe because I have some bad battery modules, I am getting weird readings. Typically, I get between 2.1-2.5, but after getting the powertrain error, I was below 2, which had never happened before. Not all of us can do only city driving. We have toll roads around here with 75 mph, regular highways are 70 mph. I have over 10,000 miles logged and I have watched my average range drop monthly. Once again, it could be because it has bad battery modules, but it will take a while to get repairs done and I want to see if anything changes when repaired. These are new vehicles and there is not enough real world data to rely on yet. Honestly, how many F150 Lightning owners have 10,000 miles logged like I have yet? So, you can see why I am questioning battery degradation and actual ranges.

Modify your driving, faster or slower? I don't want to be holding up traffic or setting an extreme pace either. I try to drive the posted speed limits.
OK.

My original response was to someone who had 400 miles on the truck and wondered why the range estimate was oddly low. Evidently, the extra energy consumption was going to climate control. The advice stands, if you are concerned about dropping range guesses, check the actual energy consumption. Modify behavior or charge more often.
Sponsored