First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Is your's a '23? Mine's a '22. Wonder if it is a software thing or not. Seems odd that the heated wheel wouldn't turn off (I often find that I forget mine is on honestly and then shut it off - had the same issue in my '15 F-150). I can see why they wouldn't put the heated wheel in on the precondition. It takes about 4 seconds to get the heat out of it in my experience - much faster than my '15 was.

Interesting.
It is a '22. After preconditioning, the wheel light is on, but it isn't warming. Only way to get it to come on is to turn the truck off and on again.
Sponsored

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
It is a '22. After preconditioning, the wheel light is on, but it isn't warming. Only way to get it to come on is to turn the truck off and on again.
That's whacky. Wonder why the variation between models.

One thing I have noticed though is that I do get accustomed to the warmth of the wheel, that's why I forget that it is on most of the time.

Electronics....

obxckw

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum
I had the same issue this week- I keep checking online and finally saw that my Platinum was built- hooray!

I called the dealer, and he said there's no ship date due to a chip shortage. Booo!

I then asked for the window sticker as I couldn't get it online. Got it. Hooray!

Then I see it's missing the heated steering wheel and bed scale and something about the seats not having what's needed on the build. Booo!

I call dealer back and he says when they get the heated steering chip at the dealer, I can add it back. Hooray?!

But, why can't it ship? My dealer is not sure because they/HQ doesn't tell them anything specific. Wtf?!

$100K for this level of Ford service baffles me.

I'm still super excited to get it, but c'mon man.

Ford F-150 Lightning Options Removed (chip shortage) Screenshot 2022-11-05 at 11.51.48 AM

asudan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5L, 2022 Tesla Performance Model Y
I was told the heated steering wheel will be fixed in the future but the onboard scales will not. I also got a security system removal and I'm really interested to know what that means exactly.

Sponsored

RVTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Chevy Suburban, 2014 Chevy Volt
All I know is that I have said before that I will never again buy another car without a heated steering wheel, and if my Lightning Lariat LR doesn't have one, I'm going to sell the truck and use the profits to buy something that will have it. I agree, if they don't plan to put it on in the future, then it's really not the truck that the Lariat should be.

BTW: I have a brand new 2022 Chevy Suburban that was delivered in March that also was shorted the heated steering wheel, but, they absolutely do plan to retrofit the heated wheel (it's actually just missing the button) and it was due sometime in Nov 2022. So it isn't an uncommon thing, but, simply never installing it is uncommon.

Techkraut

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius, Polaris Slingshot, Toyota Yaris
I will not be ordering mine until all of these options are restored. I have my heart set on a loaded Platinum. Ford better hope the competition does not beat them to the punch (in other words be able to deliver a loaded truck while Ford de-contents and raises prices). That could be a hard decision.

RVTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I did end up cancelling my order. The heated steering wheel was a deal breaker for me, since it wasn't a free future retrofit. There is more to the story, but, I had a build date of 1/9/2023 and now it's cancelled. So close yet so far.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I did end up cancelling my order. The heated steering wheel was a deal breaker for me, since it wasn't a free future retrofit. There is more to the story, but, I had a build date of 1/9/2023 and now it's cancelled. So close yet so far.
If it has a build date, it's not canceled. Your dealership will still get that truck and be able to sell it to somebody else.

Sponsored

RVTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. Well, hopefully they sell it. There is an identical one there that they took in trade, and that's been sitting there now for a month or two. It's got less than 3000 miles on it.

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
I don't believe this is correct. I have just recently started to pre-condition my truck and the steering wheel and seats are most definitely warmed up when I get in it.

Also, the heated steering wheel on mine does NOT time out. It's on until I press the button to turn it off.

I don't know if that is what you were told, or what you've experienced, however I have an opposite experience to this.
My 22 the heated steering wheel also stays on until you turn it off. Even cycling the ignition power. I don't pre conditions so I don't know about that.

Pdxguy

First Name
La
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E FE, Toyota Tacoma, Audi
I’ve posted this before, and actually had to dig in with my dealer before they double checked and sent me the document below. It clearly states the Heated steering wheel will be replaced at no cost. Based on the problems they seem to have had with this, I’m ok waiting until they get it right since they are committed to doing so.
——————————————————————

2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Subject: Product Offering Change to your 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning

Dear Valued F-150 Lightning Customer: So that we can produce your vehicle more quickly, Ford will be making the following changes to the 2023 F-150 Lightning. Due to the global semiconductor shortage and supply chain constraints, your 2023 F-150 Lightning is not equipped with the feature(s) checked below, as they are not currently available.

We know this is not ideal and not the experience we aim for as a brand. But we also know that getting a new vehicle is an important and exciting time, so we are doing everything we can to help deliver on that, despite these global challenges. Thank you for your understanding & continued support.

For each checked feature below, the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of your vehicle has been reduced by the amount indicated, and your vehicle will not be retrofit. This adjustment will be reflected on your window label.

Ă° Onboard Scales with Smart Hitch Removal o On-board Scales measure and display the approximate weight of the payload in the truck. o Smart Hitch measures the tongue weight of a trailer being connected, to help the customer distribute trailer weight correctly. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $650.

ð Multi-Contour Seats with Active Motion® (Driver and Passenger) Removal o This feature delivers a seat back and bottom massage. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $300.

ð 20” Wheel All-Season Tire Removal o 20” All-Season tires have been replaced by 275/60R20 BSW All-Terrain tires on this vehicle. o All-Terrain tires improve traction on off-road surfaces like loose gravel, sand, and rocks as well as wet, snowy, and icy surfaces. They will also have a small impact on the range, max payload and towing capacity of your vehicle, but as always, actual results depend on how you use your vehicle and the other options and accessories you’ve selected. The max payload and towing capacity specific to your vehicle will be listed on your vehicle’s doorjamb. o The MSRP of affected vehicles is not impacted.

ð Advanced Security Pack Inclination / Intrusion Sensor Removal o This feature provides vehicle inclination / intrusion sensors which when activated, trigger the vehicle alarm. The truck remains equipped with Perimeter Alarm and SecuriLock® Passive Anti-Theft System. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $50.

Each of the optional items checked below have been removed from your vehicle, and you will not be charged for these items.

Ă° Max Recline Seats Removal o This optional feature provides seats that fold flat to nearly 180 degrees. o There will be no charge for this optional feature.

Your vehicle will be retrofit with the following checked features when the features become available. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) has been reduced by the amount indicated. This MSRP adjustment will be reflected on your window label.

Ă° Heated Steering Wheel Functionality Removal o This feature provides heat to the steering wheel. o Due to this inconvenience, the MSRP of your vehicle has been reduced by $50 o We are currently projecting that this feature will be available late 2023. However, due to global supply constraints, further delays to this timing could occur. o When the Heated Steering Wheel functionality becomes available your dealer will install it on your vehicle at no cost to you.

Your dealership will contact you to arrange a time for this installation that is convenient for you. Please know that we value you as a customer and appreciate your understanding as we navigate through these constantly changing times together. Acknowledgment By providing my signature below, I understand and agree as follows:

• This vehicle is not equipped with the above checked feature(s), and this will not constitute a defect with respect to my vehicle. Unless otherwise noted above, the vehicle will not be retrofit with these features.

• Heated Steering Wheel Functionality is projected to be available late 2023, however due to the global semiconductor chip shortage and supply chain constraints, this timing could be extended; and • I will be contacted when Heated Steering Wheel Functionality is available, and my dealer will install Heated Steering Wheel Functionality at no additional cost to me. ____________________ _____
Sponsored