Orange Gear Of Death (O-GOD) - Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power

grizwizwg

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Mach-E
I purchased my Lightning 5/2024, almost exactly 5 months ago. I don't drive much, so it has a grand total of 2,580 miles on it as I type.

To this point, the Lightning has been pretty good. Though we are experiencing issues with inoperative front parking sensors, we have scheduled service at a local dealer for the Customer Satisfaction Program (recall?) that will address this.

I get in the truck yesterday and see the Orange Gear Of Death (I know it's a wrench, but that's not as impactful an acronym) for the first time. It just says service vehicle soon. Other than the front parking sensors still not working, I didn't notice much for impact. I check the Ford Pass app in my phone and it says "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power. What is Happening? Illuminates when the system has detected a powertrain or a four-wheel drive fault. What Should I Do? A Powertrain or All Wheel Drive (AWD)/Four Wheel Drive (4WD) fault has been detected, contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible." I've attached a screenshot from the app. I already have an appointment scheduled for the parking sensor issue, will call to add this to it.

My questions for the forum are:
1. Has this happened to you?
2. If so, what was the outcome?
3. How do I have 2 significant errors on a 2nd or 3rd generation BEV within 5 months and 2,580 miles?
4. What is up with dealerships charging a $400-500 diagnostic fee to find a problem that 100% has to be under warranty? This was explained to me when I called and actually did happen when my wife took her Mach-E in for a repair.

As someone who converted from Teslas to Fords, I'm disappointed in the quality and variation of dealership service center experience. With our Teslas, mobile appointments were a thing and much of the diagnostics could be seen on my phone app in real time. In 5 years of owning 3 Teslas, I never once paid anything for a repair that was covered under warranty...never even heard of a diagnostic fee. Could it be because that's how Ford dealerships make money since Teslas does not have dealerships?

Any info is appreciated :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024Lightning Flash, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
I believe I had that message on my 2022. It showed up after it did an update and went away the next day. As for the dealer charging for diagnosing a warranty issue, find a different dealer and call ford cussed and let them know the dealer is doing that on a new vehicle under warranty.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
There is no way a dealer should be charging a diagnostic fee for any vehicle within their bumper to bumper warranty. They are just plain wrong. Did you have an update recently?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've found these 'faults' in the many EVs we've owned to be annoying, and frankly, not always truthful...

first, take the time to pause, breath, and be calm.... it's not the end of the world.

second, do the 'first' thing you should do in these situations: turn the vehicle OFF - wait 30 second, then back ON

third, do the 'second' thing you can more easily do than taking it to someone who probably knows less than you, your Ford Dealer, and simply REMOVE the Negative post of 12v battery, for 30 seconds, then reattach.

Only then, should you contact Ford and ask them, even before you go to your dealer.
Sponsored