OTA update confusion

thorndike

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
The question has to do with OTA updates. When I check on the display in the car, it says there are no updates to be had. When I log into the portal, it says that I have SYNC and Nav updates to install. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be updating as set.

I have automatic updates turned on and selected the Anyday at 1:00 am selected. I have full WiFi signal, so that shouldn't be the issue either.

According to the screen, my SYNC 4 version is: 22326_PRODUCT Revision 640.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to synchronize the car and the portal, I would love to hear it.
Sponsored

Turbodonkey

First Name
Johnathon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning, 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Retired
What "portal" are you referring to - logging in?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The question has to do with OTA updates. When I check on the display in the car, it says there are no updates to be had. When I log into the portal, it says that I have SYNC and Nav updates to install. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be updating as set.

I have automatic updates turned on and selected the Anyday at 1:00 am selected. I have full WiFi signal, so that shouldn't be the issue either.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to synchronize the car and the portal, I would love to hear it.
The schedule is not for updates. It is when to apply updates that require immobility.

There is no place for you to see updates, and the portal you refer to isn't showing you what you think it is.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I checked the Ford.com portal and don't see any updates pending for me. It just tells me I have automatic updates turned on. The site kind of implies that it is Sync and Navigation updates only. Has anyone seen any of the core module updates on this site?

Last edited:

Sponsored

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER

Welcome to the "club" of "640". I am also waiting for updates to be pushed to my truck which was purchased last month

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
A reliable source on this forum said that recent builds of 2023 Lightnings have not been added to the OTA roll-out schedules. I would not hold my breathe waiting for OTA's.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
A reliable source on this forum said that recent builds of 2023 Lightnings have not been added to the OTA roll-out schedules. I would not hold my breathe waiting for OTA's.
Correct. FMC told me directly that the latter ‘23 hadn’t received any and would likely start seeing them roll out “in a couple months “. Based on the timeline end of this year or first of next. From the phone call with the escalation team sounds like they were still focusing on the ‘22 models before rolling out much or any to the ‘23 models.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Welcome to the "club" of "640". I am also waiting for updates to be pushed to my truck which was purchased last month
@itdwebman only a month.
breathe. Relax. Takes time. The roll out pattern from Ford causes way too much anxiety as can be seen from the hundreds of posts of owners discussing their angst.

in reality these are all minor updates. Life goes on without them.

when blue cruise 1.3 rolls out, you could be in an early group and get the update. 🎲 roll of the dice with Ford. Now that will be a significant and altering update for those with Blue Cruise.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I checked the Ford.com portal and don't see any updates pending for me. It just tells me I have automatic updates turned on. The site kind of implies that it is Sync and Navigation updates only. Has anyone seen any of the core module updates on this site?
Ford.com doesn't show updates.

Sponsored

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
@itdwebman only a month.
breathe. Relax. Takes time. The roll out pattern from Ford causes way too much anxiety as can be seen from the hundreds of posts of owners discussing their angst.

in reality these are all minor updates. Life goes on without them.

when blue cruise 1.3 rolls out, you could be in an early group and get the update. 🎲 roll of the dice with Ford. Now that will be a significant and altering update for those with Blue Cruise.
Thanks for your comments and well said. I will practice my OTA yoga.

16cards

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Lightning Lariat ER
The Mach-E and Lightning were to usher in Ford's new age of OTA updates and improvements post-purchase. It is one thing to slow roll out updates. That is typically done via randomization. It is quite another that an entire cluster of Lightnings are not currently eligible to receive updates based on manufacturing date.

And yet that is easily communicated. Either by a message pushed to FordPass, an email, or, you know, the Software Updates screen in vehicle and app. Both of which behave as if there are no updates, which any engaged customer knows there are.

@Ford Motor Company I think the frustrating thing is the lack of communication regarding OTA expectations. If there is a batch of Lightnings that are, in fact, categorically not receiving updates, let the owners know. Don't leave them guessing. I've been scouring this forum for some magic incantation that will let the updates flow, thinking there is something either wrong with my account or the vehicle itself.

Ford's goal should be to remove ambiguity. When the in vehicle or app software update screen says no update is available, just give a hint as to why. If the above is true, it could be as simple as "Not yet eligible for updates" instead of "No update available".

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
A few months ago, a member on the ICE forums had an OTA that was repeatedly failing due to low SOC; it was one of those updates that require the vehicle to be inhibited. The guy calls Ford's OTA hotline and the rep tells him the reason the update was failing was because his fuel level was low and his recommendation was to go put gas in the truck and try the update again.

These are the people we as consumers are counting on for information about our updates or lack thereof. If this is the kind of info we are getting from Ford, I would prefer to be kept in the dark by them and get my information from the interwebs.....like here. This site, the ICE version of this site, and the Mach E site have a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people that can provide more help/knowledge than Ford can.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
The Mach-E and Lightning were to usher in Ford's new age of OTA updates and improvements post-purchase. It is one thing to slow roll out updates. That is typically done via randomization. It is quite another that an entire cluster of Lightnings are not currently eligible to receive updates based on manufacturing date.

And yet that is easily communicated. Either by a message pushed to FordPass, an email, or, you know, the Software Updates screen in vehicle and app. Both of which behave as if there are no updates, which any engaged customer knows there are.

@Ford Motor Company I think the frustrating thing is the lack of communication regarding OTA expectations. If there is a batch of Lightnings that are, in fact, categorically not receiving updates, let the owners know. Don't leave them guessing. I've been scouring this forum for some magic incantation that will let the updates flow, thinking there is something either wrong with my account or the vehicle itself.

Ford's goal should be to remove ambiguity. When the in vehicle or app software update screen says no update is available, just give a hint as to why. If the above is true, it could be as simple as "Not yet eligible for updates" instead of "No update available".
I am also frustrated by the lack of information on this front, however, let's also keep in mind the complexity of this on Ford's side. I work in complex software/hardware environments daily and here is my perspective:

1) There are dozens of modules that need to work in concert in our vehicles. It is not the same as updating firmware on a single device. Updates to one module affect others and they need to be carefully orchestrated and tested or things just don't work.
2) There are various hardware configurations across multiple trim levels that have different capabilities and modules which further complicates the update process (our trucks are not all the same)
3) Even trim levels with the same configuration can have different versions of hardware modules and firmware versions as they tweak capabilities and tune the truck manufacturing process week by week.

Given the complexity of this process, the lack of information and the lack of owner understanding is not surprising albeit frustrating. The reasons why some get updates and some do not may be deeply technical as they work through the above items. In short, an explanation may cause more challenges between owners and Ford than the frustration of no information.

I want certain updates however in the meantime, I'm driving the truck and loving it.