• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Outlet power

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
True- but nothing "odd" about that exception- it makes sense because the UL requirements for a 15 amp receptacle call for it to handle 20 amps. And they are careful to say it is only allowed if there are multiple receptacles on the circuit.

I hardly ever use my Pro Power but now it is throwing an error: "Pro Power overload". So not sure what that is all about. So far it doesn't affect anything else but there must be some bad sensor or something.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/more-240v-power-than-you-thought-success.18017/

the above is the thread on several subjects, including this '30amp from 120v outlets' we are discussing:

1) you can create ANOTHER 240v output from the combination of two of the separate 120v 'regular' bed outlets.
2) while at first I assumed, like we all would, the output would be limited to the '20amp' output as listed on the covers, that was debunked with my further testing...
3) EACH bed outlets has a capacity of 30amp output, as Ford has wired it.
4) the bed outlets can each have up to 30amps, on it's own, if all the power is going to that single outlet, from that 'side' of the Inverter's 240v output.

now, if you disagree with the output, or the safety, or the danger - contact Ford: I am only relaying the facts about what is possible.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/more-240v-power-than-you-thought-success.18017/

the above is the thread on several subjects, including this '30amp from 120v outlets' we are discussing:

1) you can create ANOTHER 240v output from the combination of two of the separate 120v 'regular' bed outlets.
2) while at first I assumed, like we all would, the output would be limited to the '20amp' output as listed on the covers, that was debunked with my further testing...
4) the bed outlets can each have up to 30amps, on it's own, if all the power is going to that single outlet, from that 'side' of the Inverter's 240v output.

now, if you disagree with the output, or the safety, or the danger - contact Ford: I am only relaying the facts about what is possible.
Thanks for doing that testing and providing us the information here. This forum is useful for things like that where you do the actual tests instead of reading the Ford manuals.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning

This isn't "another" 30A 240V circuit. It is the same one. There is a single 30A inverter. You cannot actually draw 30A from the locking 240V outlet and 30A from the 120V outlets simultaneously.

drummer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model S, 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat,
I have a slightly different question on the this topic. It seems as though the truck must be ā€˜startedā€™ (and not just ā€˜onā€™) to use the outlets? Additionally, it seems that turning the truck off shuts the outlets off too? Am I doing this right? If so, do you just turn off the HVAC so it doesnā€™t run all day further draining your battery?

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I have a slightly different question on the this topic. It seems as though the truck must be ā€˜startedā€™ (and not just ā€˜onā€™) to use the outlets? Additionally, it seems that turning the truck off shuts the outlets off too? Am I doing this right? If so, do you just turn off the HVAC so it doesnā€™t run all day further draining your battery?

Yes, the truck must be in the running state, and if you want the PPOB to continue working after 30 minutes, you need to make sure the automatic shutdown timer is disabled. Also shutdown any unneeded systems, lights, entertainment, HVAC.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
You can draw 30amps from each outlet pair but I think you can only draw 20 from any individual outlet plug.
Now you know tested all the trucks. They could pull 30a from each 20a plug because the inverter is putting out 30a. Donā€™t use a cheap extension chord.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Now you know tested all the trucks. They could pull 30a from each 20a plug because the inverter is putting out 30a. Donā€™t use a cheap extension chord.
Yeouch! That can get some folks into trouble if they use it that way. That would need a 10 gauge extension cord.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
This isn't "another" 30A 240V circuit. It is the same one. There is a single 30A inverter. You cannot actually draw 30A from the locking 240V outlet and 30A from the 120V outlets simultaneously.
right, it's a single inverter for 30amps @240v output, but, you can use ALL of the output options, at the SAME TIME, as long as you are under that maximum: so, YES, you CAN use both 240v outputs at the same time.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
the Truck must be in the 'ON' status to use ProPower, and you can also then 'unchoose' the option of the truck turning off after 30 minutes if you are keeping it on for the long term..
as for air conditioning and other draws, you'll likely not have to worry about any of that, as even if you left it on all NIGHT, overnight while 'camping', and providing power to our Camper, it uses relatively LITTLE power, compared to your HUGE battery.

Sponsored

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
right, it's a single inverter for 30amps @240v output, but, you can use ALL of the output options, at the SAME TIME, as long as you are under that maximum: so, YES, you CAN use both 240v outputs at the same time.
But you directly claimed 60A is available from the bed outlets. That is false, as it seems you now agree.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
But you directly claimed 60A is available from the bed outlets. That is false, as it seems you now agree.
If all loads are 120V, the theoretical maximum is 60A. 120V x 60A = 7.2 KW. 30A from each duplex receptacle.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
If all loads are 120V, the theoretical maximum is 60A. 120V x 60A = 7.2 KW. 30A from each duplex receptacle.
You're right. I missed the "of 120V" in the original claim.

That said, drawing 30A per phase via the 5-20R outlets which are clearly marked as 20A max is a bad idea (and I am surprised Ford's design doesn't use a separate breaker to prevent this). Even if the wiring from inverter to each outlet is appropriately sized (10ga per the small conductor rule if NEC applies, which I suppose it may not) and the outlets themselves are rated for use at 75C (questionable) nothing you can plug into them is going to be sized or rated to carry 30A of current. And you'll need to build a very dangerous extension cord with a 20A plug on one end and 30A receptable on the other end - or overload a nominally 20A power strip, the internal wiring of which will not be designed or rated for a 30A load.

If you want 30A per phase of 120 to run exclusively 120V devices, one of the power strips/breakout boxes used in datacenters for exactly this purpose (they even have the correct locking 30A connector on the upstream end) would work, but they're not weatherproof. Maybe with the prevalence of TT-30 in the RV world, there is something similar and weatherproof available there? In any case, if you want 7kW of power for 120V devices, better get it from the 30A receptacle, not the 20A ones.
Sponsored