• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Poll: A lot theories on why we aren’t seeing shipments ⚡️

Reason for delayed shipping

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
@tommolog has said he expects his F150 Lightning in a few weeks. Maybe he can ask Ford what the holdup is?
My guess is the holdup is that they are working on having a consistent supply chain. They don't want to deliver a few, then have a gap, then deliver a few more etc.

They just want to get all aspects of production and delivery smoothed out so that there is a constant flow of trucks. Pretty much like any other release of a new vehicle.
Sponsored

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
My guess is the holdup is that they are working on having a consistent supply chain. They don't want to deliver a few, then have a gap, then deliver a few more etc.

They just want to get all aspects of production and delivery smoothed out so that there is a constant flow of trucks. Pretty much like any other release of a new vehicle.
They already have enough trucks stockpiled to be able to ship them out at a consistent basis. Its likely either chips are missing, or they discovered an issue that they are waiting to patch the software with.

Reactions: GDN

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
They already have enough trucks stockpiled to be able to ship them out at a consistent basis. Its likely either chips are missing, or they discovered an issue that they are waiting to patch the software with.
Do we know that for sure? I am not an expert on logistics, but I am sure that people at Ford are.

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
Do we know that for sure? I am not an expert on logistics, but I am sure that people at Ford are.
All we know for sure is that a bunch of Lightnings are sitting in staging lots, the race track, and in front of some building :)

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Camry
Here's another (plausible) crackpot theory - they were hacked. Consider two possibilities:

• Ford themselves were hacked. Someone found and exploited a vulnerability in some system. They may have hijacked something and are holding it for ransom, or they may have demonstrated the ability to <do something> and they're holding them for ransom.

• They're reliant on several different software companies and a vulnerability was discovered and exploited in some third party software. Blah blah ransom.

I have no information or clue what the actual reason is, but this isn't outside the realm of possibility. They're a juicy target, and the imminent release of the Lightning creates pressure. Ford wouldn't want to release a truck with a compromised operating system, and may want to stay radio silent until the problem is resolved (ransom paid, and/or other measures taken).

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Here's another (plausible) crackpot theory - they were hacked. Consider two possibilities:

• Ford themselves were hacked. Someone found and exploited a vulnerability in some system. They may have hijacked something and are holding it for ransom, or they may have demonstrated the ability to <do something> and they're holding them for ransom.

• They're reliant on several different software companies and a vulnerability was discovered and exploited in some third party software. Blah blah ransom.

I have no information or clue what the actual reason is, but this isn't outside the realm of possibility. They're a juicy target, and the imminent release of the Lightning creates pressure. Ford wouldn't want to release a truck with a compromised operating system, and may want to stay radio silent until the problem is resolved (ransom paid, and/or other measures taken).
Lightning uses the same OS as the Mach-e and several other Ford products. None of them are stopped

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Camry
Lightning uses the same OS as the Mach-e and several other Ford products. None of them are stopped
I don’t think hacking is the reason for the delay, I have no idea what the reason is, just presenting it as another possibility.

Having said that, there are more vulnerabilities possible than vehicle OS. Could be a new part susceptible, new firmware, the Dearborn plant itself, who knows!

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
There was an insider post here several months ago who almost exactly predicted this hold.

Meanwhile, maybe we need a forum Waiting For The Lightning anthem.

"A day, a week, a month, a year, every second brings me here..."

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Somewhat surprising to me that given the few weeks this has been going on the word has not leaked out. A friend of a friend or a brother in law that works there. Secrets are hard to keep.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Somewhat surprising to me that given the few weeks this has been going on the word has not leaked out. A friend of a friend or a brother in law that works there. Secrets are hard to keep.
I don't think there is a secret to keep. Mach-e timeline was ~1 month for building (after the build date) and then ~1 month to ship. so if you had a April build date, around now is the right time to start shipping (which I think we are seeing) and the receipt at the dealer sometime in June.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
The truth is just not as interesting as all the wild theories that have been popping up lately. We're all sick of hearing about supply constraint issues, and I imagine Ford is as well.
Sponsored