• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

POLL: Does your spouse refuse to drive an EV?

Is your spouse anti having an EV as their primary driver?

• Total voters

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
I just picked up an Ioniq 5 for the spouse (who refuses to drive the truck because of size and speed). It’s incredible… and the 2 year lease paired with 2 years of free charging is perfect!

Semi-seriously making me consider trading in the truck and getting the Ioniq 5 N considering how much of a blast this AWD model is! 😝

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Volt, 2023 F150 Lightning Pro
I thought I was the only one, but on another thread there were two others who had comments about their wives hating EV's. Mine is totally against it, then again she's not big into tech and uses a fraction of the options in her fully loaded late model SUV. It's funny how against it she is though. So much so that my April Fool's prank on her was telling her I got a good deal on an EV and she needed to clear out the stuff from her SUV because they were on the way to swap them out. She threatened not to drive it :crackup: .

Anyway, just curious if this is a pervasive thing or maybe a couple of us unlucky guys.

BTW this isn't focused on pro/anti or politically motivated feelings. More-so about whether if all things being equal the spouse would accept the EV, or complain about having to drive one.
Just curious - what's her main reason for being against EVs?

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
My wife is the type of person to always bring her car back home on fumes. Getting her in a ev was a piece of cake as she already seemed to hate going to the gas station. Granted I am the one to plug her car in 95% of the time but she loves it and says she can’t go back. She’s done a few long journeys in it and to their credit Tesla makes it almost idiot proof if you just listen to the nav.
You need "wife refuses to drive ICE vehicles and complains about the smell and noise when I start one." I think the odds of getting her to fill a car at a gas station are below zero now.

If you have a wife who is worried about charging and range, the e-GMP vehicles (Hyundai, Kia, Genesis) are a different experience from the Lightning - at least the SR. The EV6 almost charges too fast (or the bathrooms at Wallmart are too far away). However, the LIghtning is the one that is going on road trips these days...
Just curious - what's her main reason for being against EVs?
For starters my wife has a complicated relationtionship with tech as I mentioned earlier. She's like the last of the adopters for anything, and I'm usually towards the front of the pack; so in a way I sort of force her to keep up.

Her primary argument is that she can barely remember to charge her phone/watch, much less rely on herself to charge a car. To her point, we homeschool, and she's chasing three small kids all day. Thus, her phone and watch are usually near dead most of time. She's not the best at prioritizing keeping things charged.

To make things worse. A week after buying my truck, I finally convinced her to drive it. Right as she pulled out of the neighborhood she gets put into limp mode for a powertrain malfunction and has to limp into a parking lot. So that about sealed the deal for a while.

Luckily, her Yukon has the Duramax diesel and for now I have use for it as the tow vehicle since my LER does not meet my needs in that dept. Also, she does come out to visit me at work which can be over 300 miles away. With three kids and gear, I don't know of any EV SUV that is big enough to accommodate yet. Therefore, I haven't pushed much.

The irony here is she's much better suited for EV life than I am. She's always home, and I'm always on the road.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
What made you come up with this poll?

Is your spouse a troglodyte?

I think you'll find anyone here who owns an EV will have an accepting spouse. If they weren't then you'll have relationship problems.

Sponsored

Mcfly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma trd off road
Occupation
Realtor
Like OP my wife flat out refuses to drive an EV or take the lightning on road trips. I owned a Rivian for 2 years before buying the lightning in January of this year. She's never driven either of them or so much as sat in the driver's seat. She's perfectly content keeping cars for a long time and not into tech. We recently sold her 10 year old wrangler last year for a 23 bronco badlands. If I hadn't spec'd the build it would have been a base model. 😂

FreshDaddyE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I bought 'my' Lightning on January 5th and FREAKING LOVE IT. I look for any excuse to drive places because it's so fun and cheap to operate. It has 5100 miles on the odometer. My wife has posted about 4500 of those.

We're headed to the dealership this weekend to see about trading her Explorer ST for a Mach-E. I'm afraid the tires will dry rot. :)

She HATES gas powered cars. She's never enjoyed stopping for gas. Smelling the fumes and the sketchy, vulnerable situation it puts her in.

OP
OP

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
What made you come up with this poll?

Is your spouse a troglodyte?

I think you'll find anyone here who owns an EV will have an accepting spouse. If they weren't then you'll have relationship problems.
Hey now, there's no malice in my poll. If you read the first post, I thought I was the only one who had a wife that was firmly against driving an EV, and then noticed some comments that made me wonder if this was a little more prominent than I thought.

I changed the title to the thread, as I now realize using the word "hate's EV's" can illicit a defensive response. I should clarify that she doesn't "hate" EV's, she just refuses to drive one and prefers something she knows and is comfortable with.

BTW if having a difference of opinion on car preferences leads to relationship problems, there's probably something else going on and it would the least of one's problems.

Like OP my wife flat out refuses to drive an EV or take the lightning on road trips. I owned a Rivian for 2 years before buying the lightning in January of this year. She's never driven either of them or so much as sat in the driver's seat. She's perfectly content keeping cars for a long time and not into tech. We recently sold her 10 year old wrangler last year for a 23 bronco badlands. If I hadn't spec'd the build it would have been a base model. 😂
This basically describes my wife. Doesn't use the auto climate, instead flings it to "low" or "high" depending on temps. Only recently learned to use CarPlay at my insistence. Has adaptive cruise, but refuses to use. Has remote start, but never remote starts and instead gets in and flings climate controls to lowest or highest settings instead of auto, etc. LOL, just like you, she'd go for the base model vehicle. I'm the high maintenance one when it comes to vehicles. If it weren't for me, she wouldn't care what she was driving.

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
No spouse, No vote, No complaints!

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
I’m the EV guy in our house so I’m ok driving the EV. My wife is very happy with her ES350 sedan however I know she hates pumping gas so she might be warming up to a EV SUV as a replacement in the future. She if anything does not love my enthusiasm about mine on a hourly basis lol. So the question for us is how long and the answer is we will get there soon. She does love the ride of our Lightning, it’s just too large of a vehicle size wise for her to drive comfortably. It is a huge truck!!

Sponsored

gmarcucio

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, 23 Corvette, 23 Renegade, 22 Mini EV
Occupation
Retired High School Auto Tech Teacher
My wife loves her 2022 Mini Cooper SE EV!!! She is not a Tech person at all but since 2011 we have owned 6 BEV's and 4 PHEV's so I think she has gotten used to them. She likes the Lightning but she doesn't want to drive it if she doesn't have to because it's too big.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think ALL couples or families will have a single person who embraces things such as EVs... and while it may 'seem' to mostly be us 'husbands' or 'fathers', both in my case, yes, I have been the one to push the move...

My wife, on the other hand, and maybe like most, was not terribly interested one way or the other, but WAS VERY INTERESTED in getting what she 'wants', regardless of the powertrain. She went from a '14 Ford Focus, which worked fine, to a '14 Nissan Leaf, which got her feet wet, to a more recent '22 1/4 EV - the KIA Sorento SX Prestige PHEV 3-row seating(which she grew to love the electric drive for 30 miles, then the 'unfortunate' sounds of the engine firing up for the 30 miles back).. to move 'finally' to her brand NEW KIA EV9, All Electric battery-powered THREE ROW SUV with amazing tech and wonderful and comfortable INTERIOR - the rear space is AMAZING, too.

Our two youngest sons got their feet wet with two '14 Nissan Leafs, and now in '17 and '19 all-electric CHEVY BOLTS... and can't imagine 'why' they'd ever handle gas and oil.

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Tesla Model S
My wife hates gas cars
This...I have been into EVs for many, many years...She hated them because they were boring and slow. Then I got her a Model Y in early 21, and she will not go back. When my Lightning came in, I switched my R1T order to an R1S. when that finally came in, she took that one. Long story short, that car was involved in an accident in January and was totaled. (everyone was ok) When we finally settled with insurance, I asked her if she wanted something different, non EV, and she refused an ICE vehicle. Went with a Tesla Model S due to the price of the R1S being 18k more than we paid for ours.

Mcfly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma trd off road
Occupation
Realtor
Hey now, there's no malice in my poll. If you read the first post, I thought I was the only one who had a wife that was firmly against driving an EV, and then noticed some comments that made me wonder if this was a little more prominent than I thought.

I changed the title to the thread, as I now realize using the word "hate's EV's" can illicit a defensive response. I should clarify that she doesn't "hate" EV's, she just refuses to drive one and prefers something she knows and is comfortable with.

BTW if having a difference of opinion on car preferences leads to relationship problems, there's probably something else going on and it would the least of one's problems.

This basically describes my wife. Doesn't use the auto climate, instead flings it to "low" or "high" depending on temps. Only recently learned to use CarPlay at my insistence. Has adaptive cruise, but refuses to use. Has remote start, but never remote starts and instead gets in and flings climate controls to lowest or highest settings instead of auto, etc. LOL, just like you, she'd go for the base model vehicle. I'm the high maintenance one when it comes to vehicles. If it weren't for me, she wouldn't care what she was driving.

I'm dying of laughter, I think we are married to the same person. Technology is my wife's Kryptonite. Phones, cars, ect. Whatever she touches either breaks or doesn't work. My lightning is a pro and transformered it into a lariat/XLT. She was literally like why are you doing that? 😂

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
having a difference of opinion on car preferences leads to relationship problems,
Total deal breaker, I'm takin the kids! 😉

Just kidding, it's not a big deal. If she's paying for the car then she can drive whatever she wants. My spouse would happily drive an ev because it's faster.
Sponsored