• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power tailgate turns itself back on

Charlieman22

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER, towing package.
Occupation
Home builder/ Fabricator
Moment of frustration - perhaps of my own making?

About to haul my scooter.
Have a set of ramps and winch (120v) to load one man: avoid Darwin Award/YouTube video clip.

Short bed Requires hauling with tailgate down.
Power tailgate.

Easy enough to disable in vehicle settings.
However: every time I shut off power, it reactivates itself?!
If I wanted it active, Iā€™dā€¦ wellā€¦ activate it.

An activation when going down the road could cause serious damage.
An activation when loading could hurt someone (me!)
Iā€™m miffed.

Is this a glitch with my truck, am I not saving the setting somehow, or is some Ford product manager just that much more knowledgeable about what I want my truck settings to be?

thanks!
CM

šŸ™‚.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power tailgate turns itself back on F5AB823E-56CB-453A-90CD-18BBB6C7E3D8
Ford F-150 Lightning Power tailgate turns itself back on D8B7BA55-3F49-45BE-A552-B8AB6EE37CC1
Ford F-150 Lightning Power tailgate turns itself back on 50B6D95D-2D43-4043-820E-A2C949BA16EB
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Many features, including this one, are active for ONE key cycle only.

OP
OP

Charlieman22

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Home builder/ Fabricator
Thanks Rick.

one manā€™s opinion: this borders on product management malpractice.

I can understand why they would opt to make SAFETY features automatic.
However, CONVENIENCE features like power tailgates or running boards could create safety or damage risk if reset on their own accord.

Hard to believe such a widely available feature would override users desired setting like this.

Guess Iā€™ll have to be extra cautious about not letting it turn off when Iā€™m loading/ unloading/ recharging/ etc.

Seems extremely shortsighted.
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
lol. try removing the tailgate. i turned it off, never cycled it and it still activated everytime i tried the angel it to remove it.

farmtruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F350XLT, 2 x 12 F250XLT, 23 Lightning Lariet ER
Occupation
Farmer
Could the power tailgate be turned off using Forscan? Not all trims of the lightning have a power tailgate.
More of a problem with operating with the tailgate down I've seen is that it is set to take a very light lift to close it which causes it to bounce when moving with it down.

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
If you turn your front wheel to the side and then pull scooter closer to front, will the scooter fit?

Ford F-150 Lightning Power tailgate turns itself back on 1718974209179-s2

OP
OP

Charlieman22

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Home builder/ Fabricator
If you turn your front wheel to the side and then pull scooter closer to front, will the scooter fit?

1718974209179-s2.jpg
I wish that was the case.
Pics give better impression on space than reality - but perhaps some form of ramp or lift, + turn of forks, might get me home.
Worth a second look anyhow.
Tks.

Could the power tailgate be turned off using Forscan? Not all trims of the lightning have a power tailgate.
. Quick search of the internet doesn't show anyone successfully doing that - but also worth a deeper look. Tks.

More of a problem with operating with the tailgate down I've seen is that it is set to take a very light lift to close it which causes it to bounce when moving with it down.
Oh- that is ABSOLUTELY the problem.
I haven't even left town yet, but I've managed to drive off at least once without remembering to go through the 3 clicks deep menu to find and disable the tailgate.
To make extra sure it would frustrate their customers, Ford also made it so the menu is not available if you are driving... Forcing me to stop on the spot to then turn it off - before it tried to close on me from a bounce.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I haven't even left town yet, but I've managed to drive off at least once without remembering to go through the 3 clicks deep menu to find and disable the tailgate.
To make extra sure it would frustrate their customers, Ford also made it so the menu is not available if you are driving... Forcing me to stop on the spot to then turn it off - before it tried to close on me from a bounce.
I've found that I need to make checklists for things like trailering. Make a small note "CHANGE MENU ON TAILGATE", plasticize it, and put it on your seat every time you get out.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
A seven foot long 2x4 under the scooter wheels will put enough downward force on the tailgate to keep it from bouncing and trying to close. A sheet of plywood under the scooter would do the same. It's a hacky solution, but it'll mean not having to worry about remembering to turn it off all the time.

OP
OP

Charlieman22

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Home builder/ Fabricator
Thanks for the suggestions gents.
would love for the Ford PM to be reading along -šŸ’”

$80k for a work truck that canā€™t be used with tail down unless hacked with plywood and sticky notes.
LOL. Perhaps they should rethinkā€¦

appreciate the inputs.
getting ready to hit the roadā€¦

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Try a bungee cord / rope to hold the tailgate down, tie off at hitch chain eyelet up to either side where steel cable mounts to the gate.

OP
OP

Charlieman22

First Name
Ned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Home builder/ Fabricator
Two things:
1. This crowd has some can do creativity.
2. Itā€™s kinda crazy to be solving this like itā€™s an F150 forum for trucks built before ā€˜76.

That said, the product manager over at ford might have the last laugh.

Full disclosureā€¦
Just before leaving - having pulled away from the garage, the car wash, the store - all without remembering to turn off the power gate - so I doubled down.

Turned out BWTex called it - I just had to get extra aggressive with an angle.
Turning the fork didnā€™t quite do the job - but it was a step in right direction.
lifting up the tail and dragging the scoot to an angle with the front tire in the corner, and the sidecar tire slightly up on the wheel well- allowing it to clear the tailgate by 1/4ā€ when closed.

to avoid damage when driving, I put a block of wood between tail gate and scooter sub frame - pinching it as the tail closed.

shoulda shot a picture of the scooters rear fender spaced off the tailgate .25ā€.
did a bit of testing. Decided it was secure and unable to impact the tail of justled- and off I drove.

Tailgate up.
sunshade down.
Thanks all for the suggestions & BWTEX for the winning solution.

Ford F-150 Lightning Power tailgate turns itself back on 7F8C7F83-54D0-4563-9706-CFCC665931F8
Ford F-150 Lightning Power tailgate turns itself back on 41CD6278-8E35-4427-91F0-C1A47409CEB4

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
Two things:
1. This crowd has some can do creativity.
2. Itā€™s kinda crazy to be solving this like itā€™s an F150 forum for trucks built before ā€˜76.

That said, the product manager over at ford might have the last laugh.

Full disclosureā€¦
Just before leaving - having pulled away from the garage, the car wash, the store - all without remembering to turn off the power gate - so I doubled down.

Turned out BWTex called it - I just had to get extra aggressive with an angle.
Turning the fork didnā€™t quite do the job - but it was a step in right direction.
lifting up the tail and dragging the scoot to an angle with the front tire in the corner, and the sidecar tire slightly up on the wheel well- allowing it to clear the tailgate by 1/4ā€ when closed.

to avoid damage when driving, I put a block of wood between tail gate and scooter sub frame - pinching it as the tail closed.

shoulda shot a picture of the scooters rear fender spaced off the tailgate .25ā€.
did a bit of testing. Decided it was secure and unable to impact the tail of justled- and off I drove.

Tailgate up.
sunshade down.
Thanks all for the suggestions & BWTEX for the winning solution.

7F8C7F83-54D0-4563-9706-CFCC665931F8.jpeg
41CD6278-8E35-4427-91F0-C1A47409CEB4.jpeg

Next time slide under the truck and disconnect the harness. Takes less than a minute and no longer a power tailgate for that time.
Sponsored