• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power tools: What have you plugged in and used so far?

mr fiso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I know that we all have X kW in the bed. Some the smaller value, others with the up to 9kWh ProPower upgrade.

But, what power tools (excluding fridges, coolers and radios / TVs) have you really run off either set of jacks?

Has anyone here ever run a MIG welder off theirs yet? I inherited a 120v unit that I have not learned how to use, but pondered if it was really a good idea to try off the truck, or just a bad one that dang well better be generating revenue before doing it.
Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Lightning
I have used the truck to power electric jack hammers and dewatering pumps where there was no other convenient way to power otherwise.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’ve powered a Porter-Cable air compressor and a Schumacher 100A battery charger simultaneously.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Air compressor and angle grinder.

The 120v outlets are capable of running any 120v appliance. Except for that one dudes janky cement mixer, or the other guy who's propower was too dirty to run a fancy toaster oven.

Sponsored

Slick68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rapid Red Lightning, 68 Mustang, 17 Road Glide
I know that we all have X kW in the bed. Some the smaller value, others with the up to 9kWh ProPower upgrade.

But, what power tools (excluding fridges, coolers and radios / TVs) have you really run off either set of jacks?

Has anyone here ever run a MIG welder off theirs yet? I inherited a 120v unit that I have not learned how to use, but pondered if it was really a good idea to try off the truck, or just a bad one that dang well better be generating revenue before doing it.
I’ve used my 120v Lincoln MIG welder several times hooked up in the bed of my ‘22 Lariat ER. Not a problem.

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I’ve had an air compressor, chop saw and circular saw all running simultaneously. I did have to move the plugs around after tripping the breaker on one side due to the surge current of the two saws starting up.

Jsfrye

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat SR
Plugged in a 1/2 impact wrench to change a tire on my wife’s van

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Do we know if it's sine wave power or stepped or what?

Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Ahh that's good news!!

rtk11226

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning/1991 Chev 1500/1976 Corvette
Occupation
Retired IT/Engineer
First thing I tried was a pressure washer and had no luck. The pressure washer is a 120V/20 amp unit and it must be close to max when it starts because it tripped the Lightning circuit every time. I have not had a chance to put a meter on it yet to see just what the starting current actually is but I was disappointed to say the least.

Balabanr

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening
Occupation
research scientist
during a power outage at shop ran Jet Lathe and a commercial Stop Saw table saw over a whole weekend. No issues

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
.......... Trophy husband
I run the full 7200 watts into my wife's Tesla with regularity (like every other day). Ford can't figure out how to get the FCSP to directly charge the Tesla (with any adapter on the market) even though their own paperwork says it would (ugh) so they suggested that I use the mobile charger with adapters. According to the Pro Power info screen, we are absolutely maxing this puppy out on the regular for hours straight (up to 8 or more hours I believe when she is super low). I suspect if a welder or any other tool pulls 240V 30A max it will run just fine off the rear. Never really get anywhere near max on the frunk outlets, but they work fine too. It's a damn fine power supply IMO.

Editing to add that you can absolutely daisy chain vehicles, I am often plugged into the Ford Charge Station Pro taking on power at 80A while the Tesla charges from the rear Pro Power at 30A so we both take on a steady charge, and her draw is low enough that it is not depleting anywhere near my influx so both batteries' charges rise steadily and simultaneously.
Sponsored