• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I have max tow, I am not in the belief camp that it reduces overall payload capability since the beefier axle is below sprung, which seem to be the limiting factor in studying all axle ratings and payload ratings. I think the payload sticker calculation is an math side effect of the way the calculation is done as it does not do a scientific test of each truck off the line. I would rather not take any chances on weaker brakes either.

I did add tow mirrors because they rule, I had snap ons with my previous XLT.
Technically it decreases Payload by the total additional weight that the components add to the curb weight of the truck. Ford itself penalizes the Payload Capacity by 26 lbs. Well worth it as a tradeoff, in my opinion.

By the way, the regular Trailer Tow package weighs 11 lbs. So arguably the Max Tow is only 15 lbs because you would want one of them regardless.
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302A 157 PB
I have max tow, I am not in the belief camp that it reduces overall payload capability since the beefier axle is below sprung, which seem to be the limiting factor in studying all axle ratings and payload ratings. I think the payload sticker calculation is an math side effect of the way the calculation is done as it does not do a scientific test of each truck off the line. I would rather not take any chances on weaker brakes either.

Technically it decreases Payload by the total additional weight that the components add to the curb weight of the truck. Ford itself penalizes the Payload Capacity by 26 lbs. Well worth it as a tradeoff, in my opinion.

By the way, the regular Trailer Tow package weighs 11 lbs. So arguably the Max Tow is only 15 lbs because you would want one of them regardless.
I am in agreement with both of you and due to also wanting to get the onboard scales option, I also got Max Tow with my PB. One trip to the bathroom and I can.... nevermind TMI. Not concerned about 10lbs give or take. ? :oops: :p;)

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra

I agree with the MTP being a very small hit on your payload..

UNLESS

You are doing a 502a Lariat and just wanted the 18" wheels. For some reason I can't understand, selecting the MTP forces you to upgrade to 20" wheels (in the sport pkg it doesn't). I didn't look at the option weight sheet, but I bet this decreases the payload by a decent amount.

It also makes the MTP a $2300 upgrade over the standard tow package (if you were fine with the 18 inch wheels).

I wanted to get the MTP pretty bad, but I'm not sure I can justify that money for a beefier bumper, slightly larger rear brakes, and a different leaf setup. My boat and trailer don't weigh over 8k, so I'm sure I'll be OK, but I wish I could get the MTP without spending money on wheels I don't want.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford probably has an explanation for the wheel/tire package they are forcing you to take with that choice.
The KingRanch doesn't change wheels with MaxTow.
I know for many years the Max Payload option (HDPP) has only one wheel available and it's actually a stronger 18" wheel. And pre-2017, the HDPP wheel and hub was 7 stud rather than 6.

Here's the HDPP wheel for 2017 - 2020. (my brother's truck) 2700lbs of Cargo Capacity

Ford F-150 Lightning Powerboost 7.2kW Towing Travel Trailer - First hookup and test results Screenshot_20211215-094110_Gallery

guppydriver

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tundra
Ford probably has an explanation for the wheel/tire package they are forcing you to take with that choice.
The KingRanch doesn't change wheels with MaxTow.
I know for many years the Max Payload option (HDPP) has only one wheel available and it's actually a stronger 18" wheel. And pre-2017, the HDPP wheel and hub was 7 stud rather than 6.

Here's the HDPP wheel for 2017 - 2020. (my brother's truck) 2700lbs of Cargo Capacity

Screenshot_20211215-094110_Gallery.jpg
I'm sure you're right Snake...

I just thought it was weird that the Lariat 502a with sport package and 18" wheels lets you keep the 18's, whilst the the chrome pkg makes you go 20's.

I never thought about the actual wheel being stronger, just figured it was contunued penance for stuff I did in high school in the 80's.

I think I'm goig to find a Cat scale and officially weigh my boat and hitch weight. If it's less than 7500lbs, Ill stick with the regualr tow pack. If it's higher than that, I may bite the bullett and spend (yikes) $2300 (in essence) to get the MTP. Yes, I could get a sport with 18's and MTP, but I'm in love with AM Blue and it's not available in the sport pkg.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm sure you're right Snake...

I just thought it was weird that the Lariat 502a with sport package and 18" wheels lets you keep the 18's, whilst the the chrome pkg makes you go 20's.

I never thought about the actual wheel being stronger, just figured it was contunued penance for stuff I did in high school in the 80's.

I think I'm goig to find a Cat scale and officially weigh my boat and hitch weight. If it's less than 7500lbs, Ill stick with the regualr tow pack. If it's higher than that, I may bite the bullett and spend (yikes) $2300 (in essence) to get the MTP. Yes, I could get a sport with 18's and MTP, but I'm in love with AM Blue and it's not available in the sport pkg.
Ahhhhh, the old "color" trap that a special order build can corner you with!
I know all too much about that. It is perhaps the second biggest reason I am swapping my 2021 for a special order 2022.
The ONLY way I could get away from chrome door handles, bumpers, and mirrors...... but still have one of the 4 high-end paint colors was to return to 2-tone KingRanch. (like my previous 2018) The truck I purchased from inventory is a Platinum and I could probably have lived with it if it had a 6.5' bed, but I despise the chrome jewelry on what otherwise is a gorgeous paint truck. And since I have to special order to get the 6.5 bed, I addressed anything and everything that I wanted to change.

I don't think you have to have Max Tow to pull your boat. I think you should get the truck exactly like you want it, even budgetwise, and then see how the boat feels back there. You can address any short comings with aftermarket approach. Like you mentioned, boat trailers don't really always lend themselves to the typical WDH for RV's, but Airbags would likely do a wonderful job of "tuning" that boat towing.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
It could also be the design of the wheel and you need the larger ones to clear the upgraded rear brakes that come with Max Tow.

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
You will be fine. I fitted out a 502a but dropped the heavy stuff (moon roof, power tailgate, power step) and I'm at 1565#. I have the same trailer as daemonic and was concerned about being legal.
I bought a King Ranch Powerboost max tow, avoided the same payload killers, am at 1572 payload. I love the powered tow mirrors for everyday driving…..

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost
It could also be the design of the wheel and you need the larger ones to clear the upgraded rear brakes that come with Max Tow.
My King Ranch max tow has 18” wheels, fits the brakes fine.

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150

What made you decide to get the Max Trailer Tow package (53C) over the Trailer Tow package (53A) on your PowerBoost? What feature/upgrade specifically justified the additional price increase?

Sponsored

YankeeOne

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Martime Valet Parking
I just had my RV dealer install Battle Born Towable 30A 200AH GC2 kit into my trailer. The kit includes a Battery Guard Auto BGA 225 that apparently installes between the truck battery and the trailer plug and acts like a check valve and prevents back flow of power back into the truck when the trailer is connected but the truck isn't running. The dealer wasn't sure how to connect it because I have a '21 F-150 Powerboost Hybrid truck. Has anyone installed a BGA 225 in a hybrid F-150?

Ford F-150 Lightning Powerboost 7.2kW Towing Travel Trailer - First hookup and test results tempImageDoIFEQ

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150 XLT, SuperCab, 4x4, 8' bed, HDPP
Occupation
retired
Not sure why you need that battery guard. My 2014 EB came with a that same sort of device that will not allow a trailer drain the chassis battery when the truck engine is shut off.

YankeeOne

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Occupation
Martime Valet Parking
Not sure why you need that battery guard. My 2014 EB came with a that same sort of device that will not allow a trailer drain the chassis battery when the truck engine is shut off.
I'm almost positive I don't need it, since the truck is pretty smart. I just didn't want him messing around with the electronics.
Thanks for the reply.

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure
Not sure what I would do other than leave my window shades open to see the bed of my truck. If I’m in generator mode and someone approaches do the lights turn on...should be a decent deterrent.
Harbor Freight or Amazon will have a $20 battery powered motion detector w plug in base alarm unit You'd have an alert inside the RV if someone is playing in the truck bed area. This is what I plan to do as I wait on my PB for RV use in Feb

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure
Ahhhhh, the old "color" trap that a special order build can corner you with!
I know all too much about that. It is perhaps the second biggest reason I am swapping my 2021 for a special order 2022.
The ONLY way I could get away from chrome door handles, bumpers, and mirrors...... but still have one of the 4 high-end paint colors was to return to 2-tone KingRanch. (like my previous 2018) The truck I purchased from inventory is a Platinum and I could probably have lived with it if it had a 6.5' bed, but I despise the chrome jewelry on what otherwise is a gorgeous paint truck. And since I have to special order to get the 6.5 bed, I addressed anything and everything that I wanted to change.

I don't think you have to have Max Tow to pull your boat. I think you should get the truck exactly like you want it, even budgetwise, and then see how the boat feels back there. You can address any short comings with aftermarket approach. Like you mentioned, boat trailers don't really always lend themselves to the typical WDH for RV's, but Airbags would likely do a wonderful job of "tuning" that boat towing.
I ordered a 2022 non chrome KR PB which delivers in Mid feb being built now. 601a. My concern is even with painted bumpers ordered will it likely still have chrome door handles ?

I can't stand chrome and was not against wrapping door handles or using covers since it won't hurt to cover the key hole on the drives side since the mechanical lock hole we never use is a weak point for break ins to jimmy it.
Sponsored