• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - P0929

sntwnsnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
I’ve been getting the Service Vehicle Soon/Wrench message and associated message in the Ford Pass app since I purchased the truck in 08/22. I've attached some screenshots of the history (every Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power message has been this issue).

Reading the code with an OBD reader returns P0929 Gear Shift Lock Solenoid/Actuator Control Circuit 'A' Range/Performance has been detected

I brought the truck to the dealership many time for this but they won’t do anything unless the code is present while I’m there, which unfortunately hasn't happened yet. They acknowledge that they see the issue in the vehicles history, but that doesn’t help. I’ve called Ford and they said to try another dealership. I did that and they told me the same thing. Blaming Ford for not paying the service unless the code is present.

I can clear the wrench light by putting the vehicle in park and then back in drive. The message usually comes up when backing out of a spot, doing a 3pt turn, etc., but just not every time. I’ve tried adjusting my use of the shifter, making sure to come to a complete stop, being gentle, being firm, no matter what it randomly comes on.

Anyone else have this problem?

@Ford Motor Company - Anything you can do to help? This is beyond frustrating at this point.

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - P0929 IMG_1896 Lar
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - P0929 IMG_1897 Lar
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - P0929 IMG_1898 Lar

Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - P0929 IMG_1899 Lar
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - P0929 IMG_1900 Lar
Ford F-150 Lightning Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power - P0929 IMG_1901 Lar
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’ve been getting the Service Vehicle Soon/Wrench message and associated message in the Ford Pass app since I purchased the truck in 08/22. I've attached some screenshots of the history (every Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power message has been this issue).

Reading the code with an OBD reader returns P0929 Gear Shift Lock Solenoid/Actuator Control Circuit 'A' Range/Performance has been detected

I brought the truck to the dealership many time for this but they won’t do anything unless the code is present while I’m there, which unfortunately hasn't happened yet. They acknowledge that they see the issue in the vehicles history, but that doesn’t help. I’ve called Ford and they said to try another dealership. I did that and they told me the same thing. Blaming Ford for not paying the service unless the code is present.

I can clear the wrench light by putting the vehicle in park and then back in drive. The message usually comes up when backing out of a spot, doing a 3pt turn, etc., but just not every time. I’ve tried adjusting my use of the shifter, making sure to come to a complete stop, being gentle, being firm, no matter what it randomly comes on.

@Ford Motor Company - Anything you can do to help? This is beyond frustrating at this point.

IMG_1896 Large.jpeg

IMG_1897 Large.jpeg

IMG_1898 Large.jpeg

IMG_1899 Large.jpeg

IMG_1900 Large.jpeg

IMG_1901 Large.jpeg
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

tommyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning Lariat

IMG_1896 Large.jpeg
IMG_1897 Large.jpeg
IMG_1898 Large.jpeg

IMG_1899 Large.jpeg
IMG_1900 Large.jpeg
IMG_1901 Large.jpeg
Yes, I had this exact issue.
My dealer replaced the gear shift module and did a re-program, and I haven't had the issue since. On my paperwork from the dealer it says:
"Code P0929, pinpoint test e1 no / e2 no / e3 yes / e5 yes says to replace gsm and reprogram"
Hope this helps...

OP
OP

sntwnsnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Yes, I had this exact issue.
My dealer replaced the gear shift module and did a re-program, and I haven't had the issue since. On my paperwork from the dealer it says:
"Code P0929, pinpoint test e1 no / e2 no / e3 yes / e5 yes says to replace gsm and reprogram"
Hope this helps...
Was the code present when you were at the dealership?

Sponsored

tommyb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Was the code present when you were at the dealership?
Yes.
The wrench warning light would sometimes come on, then disappear, then come back. Think it was on when I took it in.
The good news for you, I think, is that continuing to drive with this issue doesn't appear to have any negative consequences to the actual powertrain/battery system (unlike other powertrain related warnings/issues). But still good to correct it, hope you are able to get a quick resolution.

Deeame

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Lightning

IMG_1896 Large.jpeg
IMG_1897 Large.jpeg
IMG_1898 Large.jpeg

IMG_1899 Large.jpeg
IMG_1900 Large.jpeg
IMG_1901 Large.jpeg
No, I haven’t seen that, but in my 23 ER I stopped at a subdivision intersection, shut off the truck, and restarted in an effort to get CarPlay connected. Ugg. I hadn’t noticed that my shifter didn’t automatically go to park as I had forgotten to do so manually. When I stepped on the accelerator, it didn’t move and the D on the console was flashing yellow. I then noticed the cluster showed the truck was in park. I pulled up all sorts of YouTube videos, disconnected the 12V battery, called everybody I knew and could not get the truck to move. It was skid towed on plastic skates up onto a flatbed. Ugg! The dealer said it was the gearshift module. Only out of service for a week and luckily, I had extended warranty to cover the rental. All this after a month being without the truck due to a battery module failure (6600 miles) in which they said they replaced the entire battery. I’m an adapter I love driving this truck. They put me in the exact same truck for the rental, only an ICE version and I hate it. I hate the way it needs to be braked constantly, and all that energy going down the drain. I love the ‘positioning pedal’ the EV version offers.

Kit2874

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Yeah, they had to change out the whole shifter on my lightning. It was doing the same thing.

Seth1969

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
CPA
My truck has been at the dealer for 2+ months now for powertrain malfunction. No info from dealer or Ford other than they need a software update and will let me know when it is written. So frustrating to have no answer on when I'll get it back.
Sponsored