• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power

skinner

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Range
+1 to this issue count. I took the software update to my truck at the beginning of this month. The first time I drove after the software update, I got the Powertrain malfunction warning. Fast forward 2 weeks, charged my truck for the 3rd time since this all started and now I'm getting reduced power to 57%. I'm dropping my truck off tomorrow at the dealer, but they keep saying they won't have a loaner for another month. Since this is my only vehicle, I find that unacceptable. Got the truck back in Nov. and had no issues outside of a faulty front sensor. just over 9K miles.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
+1 to this issue count. I took the software update to my truck at the beginning of this month. The first time I drove after the software update, I got the Powertrain malfunction warning. Fast forward 2 weeks, charged my truck for the 3rd time since this all started and now I'm getting reduced power to 57%. I'm dropping my truck off tomorrow at the dealer, but they keep saying they won't have a loaner for another month. Since this is my only vehicle, I find that unacceptable. Got the truck back in Nov. and had no issues outside of a faulty front sensor. just over 9K miles.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

mgmessner89

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning SR
Wanted to give an update because you never hear people sing praises to dealerships. The dealer I bought it from in Mesa AZ can suck it, they knew the shifter was faulty and told me they’d get it replaced weeks ago. I live an hour away so driving down there and hoping the manager was available is not an option during the work week. They avoided my calls, couldn’t get a service manager to call me back and so on. I will be filing an official complaint with Ford, they need to do better.

After putting up with that crap for several weeks I took my truck to Peoria Ford and they treated me perfectly. They got me in a loaner and got the shifter replaced and Powertrain issue taken care of. I’ll post a screenshot of the work order when I get back in town but man….Peoria Ford knocked it out of the park. Never buying from Larry Miller Ford again.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Call the BEV hotline to get the ball rolling. I don't have any first hand experience, but several owners reported that they did eventually get reimbursed for a rental. The sooner you get a ticket open the more you should be able to get back. Things appear to have gotten better overall as far as repair times, but it is still somewhat dependent on the dealership.

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Wanted to give an update because you never hear people sing praises to dealerships. The dealer I bought it from in Mesa AZ can suck it, they knew the shifter was faulty and told me they’d get it replaced weeks ago. I live an hour away so driving down there and hoping the manager was available is not an option during the work week. They avoided my calls, couldn’t get a service manager to call me back and so on. I will be filing an official complaint with Ford, they need to do better.

After putting up with that crap for several weeks I took my truck to Peoria Ford and they treated me perfectly. They got me in a loaner and got the shifter replaced and Powertrain issue taken care of. I’ll post a screenshot of the work order when I get back in town but man….Peoria Ford knocked it out of the park. Never buying from Larry Miller Ford again.
There's a specific thread for Phoenix Area Dealers. Larry Miller, Camelback, and Bell should be on everyone's avoid list. Chapman seems cool for service, though their sales team took advantage of my less informed friend. I walked him through cancelling several things that were ICE specific that they sold him on. Sanderson is on my to be considered list, and now so is Peoria, thank you.

Clay9839

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I am adding my 2022 Platinum to the list of affected vehicles. Build date of 6/22 on the door sticker.

I ended up with the red ring on my charging port, reduced output power, plus the inability to charge. Orange wrench icon on my dash, and similar error message in FordPass as others in this thread. I just scheduled my truck to get taken in to the dealer for a battery module recall this Thursday so I will add this to their list of things to check out when I get there.

I am at 36,212 miles so this problem just popped up right outside of my bumper to bumper warranty term.

Edited to fix a typo: 36k not 30k.
Here's an update to my service issue. I had a failed battery module replaced under warranty by a ford dealer in Manor, TX which was the cause of my power train malfunction warning. I also had my recall serviced here at the same time my battery was being serviced. I was without my truck for about 3 weeks. No loaner or rental reimbursement.

When I got the truck back, all my hold down clips for my frunk panels were missing and there was no coolant in my battery coolant expansion tank. The battery was having issues cooling to normal temps. I refilled the tank with coolant and battery operation resumed back to normal as it was before my service visit. I noticed about a week and a half later my battery would not cool anymore when I was driving the truck to work. I checked my coolant tank and it was empty again. So either there is a ton of air still in my cooling system, or there is now a leak in my battery cooling loop somewhere that was introduced by the dealer doing a warranty repair.

I have called their service department several times, and I'm just getting the run around. This is the second dealer in the greater Austin area I have had problems with service quality from recall or warranty work related to the BEV Lightning. There is not very good dealer support so far from my experience in this area of Texas for these vehicles. If you can't get support, then that warranty does not really mean much. :sadface:

I don't know if ford is not paying these guys for the recalls and other work or what, but the repairs take a long time, and the repairs seem rushed.

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
When I got the truck back, all my hold down clips for my frunk panels were missing and there was no coolant in my battery coolant expansion tank.
Wow, this is the worst I have read about, they send a half done job out the door. This isn't covered in the 36 month period, this is covered in the 100,000 warranty without question.

Folks in Manor Texas better stay away from buying a Ford Product if they can't do better than this. And if Ford doesn't step in and take care of you, we all should be considering our way forward.

mcot222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I just found this thread after getting the error 3 times within a month and it clearing itself after each time. I also have a problem with my shifter. My local dealer is in Portsmouth NH. If anyone knows of a dealer in the area that is more well versed in this issue please let me know.

I have a 2023 Lariat with only ~2500 miles on it.

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Grappone Ford in Concord, NH has an excellent service department, well trained in Ford EVs. I highly recommend them.

Sponsored

mcot222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A couple people in this thread actually have mentioned the shifter motor could actually be the issue causing the warning. I do get this clicking noise from the shifter area every time it has happend. Do you all think this is the problem? Would appreciate a response from @Ford Motor Company

Note: You might have to play my video with the sound up.

JoeN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2022 Rivian
I received the power train malfunction warning in both the truck and App last Thursday. Shortly before that I noticed the battery level drop to 57%. The dealer took my truck in that afternoon, confirmed a bad module, anticipates receiving a new module in a few days and promised a quick turnaround after they get the module. I really can’t ask for a better response at the dealer level.

August 2022 build date. I have admit that I’m concerned that maybe the early modules might be the weak link in an otherwise very good truck.

mpatel1101

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
My 2023 Lightning Lariat has been at the dealership for over 4 weeks with the power train malfunction/reduced power and high voltage battery warning. The dealership is blaming Ford for not the part and Ford is blaming the dealership. No body seems to wanting to help. I have a case open with Ford’s BEV team and all they do is contact the dealership on your behalf to get updates. It has been a struggle with both the dealership and Ford. What are my options at this point?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
My 2023 Lightning Lariat has been at the dealership for over 4 weeks with the power train malfunction/reduced power and high voltage battery warning. The dealership is blaming Ford for not the part and Ford is blaming the dealership. No body seems to wanting to help. I have a case open with Ford’s BEV team and all they do is contact the dealership on your behalf to get updates. It has been a struggle with both the dealership and Ford. What are my options at this point?
Lemon law & administrative buy-back

mcot222

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A couple people in this thread actually have mentioned the shifter motor could actually be the issue causing the warning. I do get this clicking noise from the shifter area every time it has happend. Do you all think this is the problem? Would appreciate a response from @Ford Motor Company

Note: You might have to play my video with the sound up.

Update, dealer confirmed a bad shifter and a new part is on order. Glad its not a battery module issue like you all are seeing.
Sponsored