• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Folks on the Rivian forum have discovered that when they store their Tesla Supercharger adapter (in particular, the Lectron one) in the frunk in desert weather (120F), that’ll it error out when trying to supercharge. All SC adapters have temperature sensors in them so it is best to keep the adapters cool (like in the cabin) before needing to use them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
makes sense, as HEAT is the number 1 culprit of Charging slows and even issues to even start charging... another thing I do is carry a towel, wet it, and lay it on the CCS cable', or adapter, if they are in the SUN, while charging... just like putting one on your neck - it solves all problems...

well, maybe...

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I think there's a bit of a failure across the board when it comes to EV charging. The Ford CSP says it's max operating temp is 113F. These adaptors failing at 120F. These are ambient temperatures in a great deal of the country during the summer, before you start putting hundreds of volts and amps through it. All of this equipment should work at up to 150F to cover summers in the southern US.

mastapsi356

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future F150b Lightning
This applies to charging with it too. Try to make sure the adapter is not in direct sun when charging. I had a session crap out on me Sunday after 10 minutes because the adapter overheated in the 100F direct sun. I've heard you can either get some kind of shade thing or cover the adapter with a wet cloth.

OP
OP

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, the wet cloth seems to be the right answer for now in extreme heat and/or direct sun. And yes, a bit of a failure in product testing!

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Folks on the Rivian forum have discovered that when they store their Tesla Supercharger adapter (in particular, the Lectron one) in the frunk in desert weather (120F), that’ll it error out when trying to supercharge. All SC adapters have temperature sensors in them so it is best to keep the adapters cool (like in the cabin) before needing to use them.
That’s because those R1Ts don’t have a glovebox like we do. Nor do they have a secondary storage box. Nor do they have a giant center console. Nor do they have a pocket to hold it along the side of the tunnel. And the door pockets aren’t big enough…speaking as a former owner.

OP
OP

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s because those R1Ts don’t have a glovebox like we do. Nor do they have a secondary storage box. Nor do they have a giant center console. Nor do they have a pocket to hold it along the side of the tunnel. And the door pockets aren’t big enough…speaking as a former owner.
All true! So, when is Ford going to make a full sized electric SUV?

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I gave up waiting for an explorer or expedition EV and resorted to buying an EV9. Phenomenal car…but I really miss having afrunk
I was seriously thinking about the EV9 but I didn’t want to wait and got the Lightning. Funny thing is after I got the Lightning I realized I could climb in the back to get on my boat to launch it. That may not seem like a big deal until you have to wade in knee deep freezing cold water to launch a boat like I had to many times with my old SUV.

I can’t believe how stupid I was about launching a boat with a pickup truck and I have owned pickup trucks before. I guess we live and learn our whole lives. I can’t imagine anything but a pickup truck ever fitting my life style again.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I was seriously thinking about the EV9 but I didn’t want to wait and got the Lightning. Funny thing is after I got the Lightning I realized I could climb in the back to get on my boat to launch it. That may not seem like a big deal until you have to wade in knee deep freezing cold water to launch a boat like I had to many times with my old SUV.

I can’t believe how stupid I was about launching a boat with a pickup truck and I have owned pickup trucks before. I guess we live and learn our whole lives. I can’t imagine anything but a pickup truck ever fitting my life style again.
Oh I still have my Lightning, different tools for different things. Unfortunately my EV9 sucks at hauling mulch, and my Lightning sucks at seating 6.

Could you imagine if they engineered a flip up seat for 2 in the bed that only unlocked when you attached a structural cap w/roll bar? That would be phenomenal

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
I gave up waiting for an explorer or expedition EV and resorted to buying an EV9. Phenomenal car…but I really miss having afrunk
yep, same as us... wanted a Ford 'Explorer EV', with it's third-row seating, but alas, the 'waiting' took too long, and KIA's EV9 coming into the market as a third-row ALL EV option just made sense... AND WE LOVE IT, 'frunk' or not... it has such MASSIVE cargo space and conversion space in the rear that it's not needed, although, actually, our LIGHT version has a pretty amazing amount of space in that 'frunk', too... all the 'tools' and tire gauges/pump/extension cords, J1772 charging EVSE, and anything else you don't need on a daily basis fit very nicely in this space.

WOW... it's amazing. we love it. Ford will have a BIG ask to make an explorer that compares.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Owner
and our LIGHT EV9 seats 7....and COMFORTABLY, too, and yes, Adults CAN sit nicely in the rear seats... that's not the case for the vast majority of Rivian R1S and Tesla Y and X models...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I am awaiting the thread where the Lightning owner asks if it makes sense to buy a plug in frig and store your adapter in it on hot days and if that would speed up charging... :p

EFG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, chevy bolt, bmw 1200rt, 23 ford t-bucke
Occupation
software developer
I am in the middle of a 2500 mile trip using Tesla chargers with the Lectron adapter. Charging always fails around the 20 minute mark when ambient temp is at or above 95 degrees. It has failed 4 times now. If I hold it under the a/c vent for a few minutes, all is fine for another 20 minutes or so. the adapter is red hot when you pull it out.

charged yesterday at 85 degrees and all was fine and adapter was just mildly warm.

YMMV
Sponsored