• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range keeps getting better

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
I'm curious, how many of us was as obsessed about the "Distance to Empty" meter in our ICE vehicles as we are about the range guesstimate in our EVs? I'm wondering if Ford is doing itself a disservice by having it front and center like it is.
at least on my 2012 /Chevy Avalanche the DTE meter was accurate down to the last 5 miles. Completely trusted. of course I was rarely more than 20 miles from a gas station!
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I don't pay a lot attention to it because I seldom let my truck get below 50%. But I'd never turn it off even if I could.
Yeah, I have to admit it does provide some entertainment. I can play the “What’s it going to show this time?” game.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Did you get your Leaf battery replaced under warranty? I’m surprised to hear of 1st gen still on the road. The EV club I was part of back in 2013 had a few Leaf owners and they were all on the list for a battery replacement.
No, mine is fine, still have 10 of 12 bars, which is around 80% capacity.

But I did not stress it with DC charging, or by storing at above 80% for long periods of time, charged at about 30A-32A using a GE Watt Station, no higher than 80%, usually to about 50-60%.

Also, I just used it for local driving to and from the grocery store etc., very little hwy driving. Working from home didn't need to commute. Use the Prius for long distance trips - with only about 100mi range on a full charge when new, not suitable in my estimation for anything but short hops.

I never use the A/C in the summer or heat in the winter, except the heated steering wheel and seat.

I had a 2001 Ranger that I used to pull my boat and haul stuff when needed, but was always hoping for an EV pickup to take its place.

Now that I have the Lightning, I passed the Ranger on to a grand-kid to use to drive to and from college this Fall.

I live in a temperate area, Va. DC area, not many real extremes of temp like they had in Phoenix where so many Leafs had issues. And I kept it in a garage when not driving.

I did have to keep the 12v battery on a maintainer - had it go dead right after I got the Leaf when I went on an extended trip. So I am also on the original 12 year old 12v battery.

I would have liked to get a larger replacement battery, but my battery didn't degrade enough to be eligible as I read the rules anyway.

Not worth the $5k or so to replace the battery since the 80% capacity is still enough for my needs.

Since the retail price if I sold it is pretty low, I guess I am going to hang on to it as a back-up vehicle in case the Lightning ever has a major issue.

I have had zero issues with the Leaf, can't say that about any other vehicle I have ever owned.

Loving Leaf

Last edited:

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm guessing you may be a troll based on your post but I'll share some insight just in case you are genuine.

1) Just curious why you charge to 100 every day when the manual recommends only charge to 80%? Unless you are going on a long trip and need the extra range, charging to 100% is not good for the battery longevity and chemistry.

2) This guess-o-meter should be ignored. Miles per kWh is the only metric that matters. Your Standard battery is 98 kWh so you need to be averaging 2.3 miles per kWh to see the factory estimated 230 mile range.
If you putt around town at low speed most of the time will see 3-4 miles per kWh average and the guess-o-meter will adjust its range estimate calc.
I was surprised the other day to see over 4mi/kWh on my Lightning Pro!

I drove econsciously, slow starts and stops, never over the speed limit.

That's close to what I usually get in my 2012 Nissan Leaf!

Sponsored

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My GOM was showing 249 mi at 100% the other day. Never going to happen!! I was charged to 100% to go to the airport, where I once rolled in with 52% left, and once with 73% left. Makes me crazy... Also, no fast charging between there and my house. (Although I think there will be if I ever get my adapter.)
After a while you learn to tune it out until it gets really low - happened to me when I first got my 2012 Leaf in Dec 2011.

If you drive the same basic routes all the time, you know what you need to get there and back, and that sometimes the numbers will be a little whacky - like getting home with more range than you left with, lol.

Long trips into strange territory can be nerve racking with the uncertainty of charging opportunities.

When the EV infrastructure is more robust, that will all be like a forgotten bad dream.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've seen this anomaly, too, but always disregard this 'good news' as nothing that will hold water, unless you are downhill and in slow traffic.
I also disregard any 'less than' range that sometimes shows, too... I always default to what I KNOW... my 'average' mi/kwh for my driving, times my SOC Battery at any given moment...
Exactly!

That's the only sane way to cope with the range issue.

On a long trip, which I have not tried, I'd say plan carefully since the charger availability sometimes seems to be uncertain.

My wife sent me this link, which is may be of interest on the subject of long-ish trips. Also many posts on the forum about good results with the Lightning.

https://www.npr.org/2024/08/01/nx-s1-5052841/ev-electric-car-road-trip
Sponsored