• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rodents in the front trunk

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Is it possible they entered through the drain hole in the well?
I looked, and I didn't see any breaches and it still appears to be solid.
Sponsored

Reactions: MFT

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Mice and rats love to chew on wire insulation, look up behind your front wheel into the front of the HVB, it is wide open, easy access from below. Worry about your wires and hoses ... Lots of products on the market, but cats seem to be reliable

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
Honestly, I would be investigating how they are getting in . . @3121 said "rodents usually get in from above" that has not been my experience...
I would be looking for a way to attach some 1/4" hardware cloth to the area which is open from the bottom. I have NOT been underneath my XLT to investigate, but when the time comes, I surely will. Any foam product will NOT deter a rat/mouse, they will shred it and thank you for some comfy bedding.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I been using peppermint oil. Either I mix it with water and spray here and there or I put a dropper full of oil on a rag and stuff in key areas

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
That could work, and I was thinking the same. I just wonder if covering that hole will cause some pressure issue. I know its not sealed that well, but maybe the hole in the bottom (for the water), and the hole at the back work together "air out" that area.
It doesn’t create a tight enough of a seal, the plastic cover still lets air through around the sides, which means mice will likely still find its way in. Either by squeezing or chewing through…

Even if you keep them out of the frunk they’ll seek an alternative and the alternative might be worse. Relocation works best and that either through deterrent (cats,) or through treats.

Setup peanut butter away from the car and house that mice can get used to eating. Little plastic burrows for them to stay warm and they’ll go there instead.

I choose deterrents. My cats and I keep a trail of dead mice as warning near my truck.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Of course, dryer sheets are reputed to keep the critters out ... at least discourage them

MaintGrl

First Name
Marsha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT Lightning, Anti-Matter Blue SR (311a)
Occupation
Retired CWEA Grade 3 Maintenance Technician
When I was working @ the treatment plant we had GMC 6500 Knuckle boom truck. The Rats would climb in to the engine compartment and build a nest in top of the intake manifold. every week when we did the Weekly vehicle inspections we would hang a Women's nylon with moth balls inside, it worked good, but had to be renewed every week.

ResidualJinx

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Navigator, F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-e
I came here to say, they got my 2022 lighting. Chewed up my main wire loam, local Ford dealer has no idea how long it will take to diagnosis and repair. There are no trees for them to fall from so I think they crawled up from underneath. I’ve been considering everything from community cat, to car snakes lol. I drive the truck almost everyday so it’s not even sitting all that long.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I came here to say, they got my 2022 lighting. Chewed up my main wire loam, local Ford dealer has no idea how long it will take to diagnosis and repair. There are no trees for them to fall from so I think they crawled up from underneath. I’ve been considering everything from community cat, to car snakes lol. I drive the truck almost everyday so it’s not even sitting all that long.
I thought of this as well, and the charging cable came to mind. The opening for the charging door hinge is more than large enough to allow a mouse in.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Well, it looks we have a part two for this issue. I opened up the front trunk only to find claw marks near the lock assembly. It looks like they tried to get in the trunk again but going in the way of the lock assembly.

Now I need to buy a new molding… :(

Ford F-150 Lightning Rodents in the front trunk IMG_2036
Sponsored