• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Same charge rates for standard range batteries?

tdv0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm trying to understand if there's any benefit in buying the 'pro' 80amp charger when owning the standard range lightning. On the Canadian site it doesn't even list charge rates for the trucks, only the mach-e and e-transit for the 48a charger, while on the US site it shows 19 miles per charging hour regardless which charger you're using. Curious if this is correct and any reason why they've limited the charge rates for SR lightnings to 48a?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm trying to understand if there's any benefit in buying the 'pro' 80amp charger when owning the standard range lightning. On the Canadian site it doesn't even list charge rates for the trucks, only the mach-e and e-transit for the 48a charger, while on the US site it shows 19 miles per charging hour regardless which charger you're using. Curious if this is correct and any reason why they've limited the charge rates for SR lightnings to 48a?
No, the SR's have one less AC/DC convertor, you're better off with the 48a unit.

OP
OP

tdv0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
thanks for the link.

question I have left, does anyone know why they don't list the lightning on the Canadian site for the 48a charger, only the 80a model? (if you scroll down to the bottom it only lists mach-e & e-transit). Is there a difference between the charger sold in Canada vs the US?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
thanks for the link.

question I have left, does anyone know why they don't list the lightning on the Canadian site for the 48a charger, only the 80a model? (if you scroll down to the bottom it only lists mach-e & e-transit). Is there a difference between the charger sold in Canada vs the US?
Likely an oversight. But both the US and Canadian sites you link only show Mach-E and Transit under "Fits These Vehicles". Bottom line it works.
However, to your original question, you would want the 80A charger for an SR if you ever wanted to do the Ford Intelligent Backup Power (assuming that's available in Canada).

Sponsored
OP
OP

tdv0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Likely an oversight. But both the US and Canadian sites you link only show Mach-E and Transit under "Fits These Vehicles". Bottom line it works.
However, to your original question, you would want the 80A charger for an SR if you ever wanted to do the Ford Intelligent Backup Power (assuming that's available in Canada).
Ok thanks, good to know.

I was looking into that home backup option as well, already have a manual transfer switch built to work with my eu7000 genny. I was hoping it would be as simple as plugging in the truck but looks like I'll need to replace the transfer switch since the truck has a gfi circuit. i'll probably just save the money for now and definitely save the cash on the home charger.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I thought backup power was software-disabled in the SR?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I thought backup power was software-disabled in the SR?
Yes but you can pay to have it enabled. They have always said it could work with any Lightning. See the link I posted above, specifically the part I highlighted:

Ford F-150 Lightning Same charge rates for standard range batteries? 1695338473937

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Ok thanks, good to know.

I was looking into that home backup option as well, already have a manual transfer switch built to work with my eu7000 genny. I was hoping it would be as simple as plugging in the truck but looks like I'll need to replace the transfer switch since the truck has a gfi circuit. i'll probably just save the money for now and definitely save the cash on the home charger.
This is a smart path IMHO, considering the mess the HIS system is at the moment, your money would be wisely invested updating your transfer switch gear as discussed in many other threads.

Last edited:

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Even 48A x 240V = 11kW charge rate… so the SR Lightning (98kWh pack) can home-charge a relatively deep 10%-90% in under 8hrs. I’ve yet to find my truck not fully charged in the morning!
Imho, Tesla Wall Connector (48A max output current) is the most solid EVSE value out there. Remember the 80% safety factor rule: 48A charging requires a 60A circuit… and 80A charging requires a whopping 100A circuit! (I’m an SR owner, so I don’t have a FCSP, but I suspect the vast majority of FCSP are wired to circuits incapable of 80A charging anyway!)

Sponsored
OP
OP

tdv0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Even 48A x 240V = 11kW charge rate… so the SR Lightning (98kWh pack) can home-charge a relatively deep 10%-90% in under 8hrs. I’ve yet to find my truck not fully charged in the morning!
Imho, Tesla Wall Connector (48A max output current) is the most solid EVSE value out there. Remember the 80% safety factor rule: 48A charging requires a 60A circuit… and 80A charging requires a whopping 100A circuit! (I’m an SR owner, so I don’t have a FCSP, but I suspect the vast majority of FCSP are wired to circuits incapable of 80A charging anyway!)
I was looking into the new 'universal' wall connector that starts shipping next month. Looks promising, do you know if they've updated the app to support non-tesla ev's?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I was looking into the new 'universal' wall connector that starts shipping next month. Looks promising, do you know if they've updated the app to support non-tesla ev's?
The “Universal” appears to be a Wall Connector with an adapter. If you already have a TeslaTap, save a few bucks and buy the current WC.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
The new Universal Wall Connector looks great (I use the NACS version with a Lectron adapter). Yes, the Tesla app (just) now includes interface with Wall Connector (regardless of non-Tesla). However, I just use the Fordpass app when charging my Lightning with the Tesla Wall Connector; it shows charging kW, added kWh, estimated completion time… I don’t really need any other info! (we don’t have variable $rates here, it’s same rate 24/7, so scheduled charging isn’t necessary)

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
but I suspect the vast majority of FCSP are wired to circuits incapable of 80A charging anyway!)
If a competent licensed electrician is involved it should be properly installed, mine is!!

Aaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford lightning
Occupation
Construction Engineer
A lot of us on here who have the 80 amp chargers sell them. You can get a lot cheaper ones that do the job and at good kWh. The batteries to my knowledge charge the same just will take longer for the extended range due to needing over what the 98 kwh has
Sponsored