Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hi everyone! First time poster but have been following the forum for a while. Love my 2023 Pro extended range, though have noticed an issue recently and wondering if anyone has experienced the same.

In short, when I’m accelerating at about 25-50% power between 47-52 mph, I’ll feel a stuttering/shuddering coming from what feels like the motors. I don’t feel it in the accelerator or steering wheel, rather the whole truck does a bit of a shudder (reminds me of when I would get the rocking thing going in my previous Tacoma long bed when hitting a certain speed on certain highways). It happens on all roadways and in all conditions. Driving in normal mode with one pedal and changing to other modes doesn’t seem to make difference, though I have not played with it extensively in other modes. I should say it is somewhat inconsistent and doesn’t happen always, just seems like within a specific power band during those speeds. I haven’t taken it in for service yet. Has only about 8000 miles on it. Lastly, I’ll mention it is the Pro SSV (special services vehicle) that was originally intended for a fleet/police, etc but the buyer backed out and so I was able to purchase it. It’s an ideal mix of “features” for me with heated front cloth seats, rear vinyl bench (perfect for messy kids/dog) and otherwise just the necessary things while getting the ER battery. Last thing I’ll mention is that I also have a smartcap on the bed with a weight of 330 lbs that is always on.

Please let me know if you’ve experienced similar issues and if you were able to resolve it! Thank you!
Hi there! If you would like assistance with your concern, please send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info.
Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Team, I have a 2023 Lariat ER that does exactly this. The truck is perfectly smooth unless I accelerate at 40-50 mph. The truck feels like it has a wheel out of balance in the back but settles again to perfectly smooth 15-20 seconds after the acceleration. It doesn't do it all the time, but more often than not under these conditions.
Initially I thought it was balance or a broken/shifting belt in the factory Grabbers but it also did the same on my new winter set and no change with tire rotation, so I know it isn't rims/tires/balance.
I will be watching this thread to see if others experience it and if there is a solution.

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
this could be the air dam coming down. The dam will activate around that speed. there are a couple of treads about this if you search. It is supposed to make the vehicle more aerodynamic.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
this could be the air dam coming down. The dam will activate around that speed. there are a couple of treads about this if you search. It is supposed to make the vehicle more aerodynamic.
Mine is not the air dam. I get the air dam vibration too, but that is obviously in the front. The vibration we are talking about is specifically while accelerating somewhat aggressively at 40-50mph and it feels like a rear wheel out of balance but stops shortly after the acceleration.
Given the number of folks on this thread with the same issue, if anyone has figured it out, I'd like to know what the solution was.

OP
OP

Kolo rovno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting Pro SSV
Agree that is does not seem related to the air dam. I’ve read those threads as well in searching about this issue, and I’d be very surprised if that made the struck stutter to the extent that we’re experiencing. Very much does seem motor related. The best way I can describe it is if you were driving a manual in a gas powered car and when letting the clutch out while accelerating, you may get some slippage if you don’t get it right, causing the vehicle to stutter forward. Not the best analogy perhaps, but that’s what comes to mind.

To answer a prior question, it doesn’t seem to matter if one-pedal drive is on. Does it both with it on and off.

Sponsored

Citizen0

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Anti-Matter Blue
Occupation
CTO
I have the same issue, though I think it's at a slightly lower speed range. I'll have to check again. I've become so used to it that I don't notice it.

2022 Lightning ER received July 2022. I feel like it has always done it at a very specific range of speed (though what I can't remember, sorry). If we had a gearbox I would say it was almost like when a traditional automatic is switching between gears, but very very VERY fast so it's almost like a little surge, then let off, then little surge, then let off. The effect feels like stuttering. I was thinking it was something with the acceleration curve at that specific point and power varying until the truck was above or below the problematic range.

It has never affected anything that I'm aware of. Truck has been pretty much rock solid. Love this truck.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Isn't there a TSB for axle play? I haven't dealt with it but recall reading something about it. Though I seem to remember it was more of a low speed issue.

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
Do you have the locking differential turned on? If so, turn it off.

Mine does this in Sport mode at highway speeds and the vibration goes away in normal mode.

moder8tor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lariat Lightning, 18 F250 Lariat Diesel
Occupation
hard worker
Been there, wrote about this back last May time frame. My issue was only at full acceleration at around 35 miles an hour. Dealer had it for a month Could not figure it out for a long time. I had to drive there multiple time to show them the problem. They finally replaced the front motor which did solve the problem at the same time ford accepted my buyback. I have since bought a new Lariat ER.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Kolo rovno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting Pro SSV
Thank you to those who have experienced this as well for sharing. I’ll be taking the Truck to the dealer in about a week and will keep you all updated. Interesting to hear that replacing the front motor solved the issue. I hope that the dealer doesn’t have to keep it that long…

As for the locking differential, I know enough to drive with the locker on only under certain conditions. My Taco had front and rear ARB air lockers :) though I certainly see where that would be an issue if someone were driving with the locker on at all times…I would hope the software would somehow alert you to this.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have the same issue, though I think it's at a slightly lower speed range. I'll have to check again. I've become so used to it that I don't notice it.

2022 Lightning ER received July 2022. I feel like it has always done it at a very specific range of speed (though what I can't remember, sorry). If we had a gearbox I would say it was almost like when a traditional automatic is switching between gears, but very very VERY fast so it's almost like a little surge, then let off, then little surge, then let off. The effect feels like stuttering. I was thinking it was something with the acceleration curve at that specific point and power varying until the truck was above or below the problematic range.

It has never affected anything that I'm aware of. Truck has been pretty much rock solid. Love this truck.
Hi Seth! I can look into your Lightning's stuttering concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?

DaGriff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Plumber
Ok so I'm going to chime in for with my experience with the same issue. I have a '23 Lariat ER. I have noticed that under acceleration the truck seem to "porpoise" at 75km/hr. For the F1 fans out there you'll get the porpoise reference. For the rest of you, The rear seems to bounce a little. I also have a Leer mid ruse truck cap on it. In every other situation the truck is as smooth as glass. I've never used sport mode so I'm going to try that and see what happens.

Last edited:

marlin1060

First Name
Mearl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Ok so I'm going to chime in for with my experience with the same issue. I have a '23 Lariat ER. I have noticed that under acceleration the truck seem to "propose" at 75km/hr. For the F1 fans out there you'll get the proposing reference. For the rest of you, The rear seems to bounce a little. I also have a Leer mid ruse truck cap on it. In every other situation the truck is as smooth as glass. I've never used sport mode so I'm going to try that and see what happens.
porpoise