Tesla is disrespecting Ford owners

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Buy the A2Z adapter. It’s $200. I have both the Ford and A2Z. I have yet to use the Ford one and I have used the A2Z one 20+ times. It works. If you have a $60k+ truck you should not be upset about anything this much that can be fixed for $200. You’ll want to have two anyway. What if you lose or break one on a trip? You can’t buy one at Walmart.
Exactly what I did. Don’t know why I waited so long for a “free” adapter and suffered for not wanting to spend the $200 on it. This was especially stupid on my part since I spent $300 on a TeslaTap when I bought the truck to charge on our Tesla Wall charger. I used my FSCP at the farm. Last road trip is what finally got me off the fence. Buy the A2Z adapter use all the wonderful Tesla infrastructure.
Sponsored

BBB

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f250, focus, cmax energy.
Occupation
retired
A new Tesla Supercharger in north Amarillo, TX has just been activated. There are twelve chargers all rated at 250 kW. Not a single one of those chargers is available to our Lightnings.

As I mentioned in another thread, not a single one of many 250 kW Superchargers in Mexico is available to our Lightnings. I’m starting to get the feeling that, if we don’t already have access to particular superchargers, we are not going to get access to them even if they are brand new. Forcing out non-Tesla charging is going to cost Tesla money so why would they do that?

I can think of many reasons based on what I’ve read about Tesla over the years. A few catch phrases come to mind; conservative reprisal, predatory business behavior, disrespect of anything non-Tesla. Don’t get me wrong, I very much appreciate being able to charge at the Superchargers I do have access to but Lightning owners should never expect to be treated as anything more than a red headed step child by Tesla.
I just read on the ev insider website that teslas was making the new superchargers available to everyone

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
I just read on the ev insider website that teslas was making the new superchargers available to everyone
Not all of them. I think that was the point of this thread. Some are indeed the latest and greatest V4 with the magic dock that any EV can use. But some (most?) are still the regular Tesla plug, and only some of those are designated as open to other manufacturers (currently just Ford and Rivian) with an adapter. Still kind of a mess.

Reactions: BBB
OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Not all of them. I think that was the point of this thread. Some are indeed the latest and greatest V4 with the magic dock that any EV can use. But some (most?) are still the regular Tesla plug, and only some of those are designated as open to other manufacturers (currently just Ford and Rivian) with an adapter. Still kind of a mess.
The North Amarillo Superchargers have Magic Docks and they ARE NOT available to non-Teslas. What’s the point of having Magic Docks if the Superchargers aren’t available to non-Teslas? It makes no sense.

Reactions: BBB

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The North Amarillo Superchargers have Magic Docks and they ARE NOT available to non-Teslas. What’s the point of having Magic Docks if the Superchargers aren’t available to non-Teslas? It makes no sense.
All V4 dispensers have Magic Dock, because it’s more cost effective and versatile to have all of them be the same. 40% of Tesla superchargers are not open to non-Tesla because that is their strategy. I believe they do the absolute bare minimum necessary to honor their agreements with the government and with other automakers.
The most egregious thing they have done was to lobby to change the interpretation of the NEVI requirement from supporting the full range of EV voltage, to supporting any voltage within the range, as long as you could still deliver 150kW. That completely alters the intent of the requirement, just to keep Tesla from having to bring their equipment into compliance.

Sponsored

potato

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT ER
Well, I guess that's their business decision. I agree it seems odd to add unused hardware but that's their choice.

I do think it's crossing a line somewhere to make a "couldn't charge" report on Plugshare when the station is clearly marked as Tesla only.

Another comment said they are V4 dispensers with a V3 cabinet. So maybe there is still some missing hardware for CCS support which might be added later.

Ryououki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford 04 Lightning 23 Lightning - Tesla 15 MS 18 MX
A new Tesla Supercharger in north Amarillo, TX has just been activated. There are twelve chargers all rated at 250 kW. Not a single one of those chargers is available to our Lightnings.
No one owes you anything. Stop being a whiny self centered brat. No one forced you to buy a Lightning and no one is forcing you to use the Tesla SC network.

bommerts

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I assume that all of you that are making excuses for Tesla have already received your Tesla NACS adapters. Spoiler alert; you are in a very small minority. Ask the majority of us that have their Tesla adapters postponed three or four times how they feel about Tesla’s games.
I'm curious why you think your adapter shipment delay, being supplied by Ford, is Tesla's fault?

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Tesla has 3 SuperCharger locations in Amarillo. One is old, one is new, and the one 10 miles away is open to all vehicles with an adapter. And the one that is accessible is right on I-40, very convenient for travelers.

Second, you don't know that this location won't turn on for everyone soon. Maybe they're making sure it works good first. This location opened a day or two ago. Or, maybe they think it will be congested with lots of vehicles and don't want non-Teslas. Let's see what it says a month from now.

Lastly, you say "Lightning owners should never expect to be treated as anything more than a red headed step child by Tesla". You do realize that Ford has 3 EVs, right? And that Rivian is also authorized. And GM will soon be. And about a dozen other automakers. So thinking that Lightning owners are somehow being slighted makes no sense.
I do agree with what Rick is saying.
Remember, Tesla was the one who accepted Ford to join. Ford even converted to NACS standard immediately. Shortly after that, almost everyone else followed.
If Tesla didn’t wanted anyone else to join, then they should have said otherwise. I have noticed Fords charging at the same locations as the Teslas but we are still the minority.
Speaking for myself, I try not to cause any problems or ruin anyone’s charging experience.
I have called Tesla’s customer support and have been treated very nicely and gotten the support I needed.
Yes…I would like more stations to open but personally when I was dealing with EA and their issues, going over to the Tesla network, it was and is a breath of fresh air.
Let us see what will transpire in a month or two. The reality is, Tesla will never make that info of when and where the next Supercharging station will be operational.
I do remember though prior to the Supercharging team’s liquidation, Tesla was going to honor existing agreements with the various municipalities, requesting permits and the various contractors they had hired to install those stations.
All I know their Supercharging network is profitable.

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
Just completed my 2nd trip to northern Maine with my '22 Lightning ER. What a wonderful, stressfree trek up and back this year - no need for planning and stressing about where I would charge and if the chargers would work - thank you @Ford Motor Company and @Tesla @elonmusk for the partnership!!

Sponsored

Jarratt

First Name
Jarratt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra. Tacoma, Model 3, Lariat Max Tow, lng range
So true. That was a huge factor behind our sale of our Model 3. We used the proceeds to get a MachE to go with our Lightning.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
I'm curious why you think your adapter shipment delay, being supplied by Ford, is Tesla's fault?
Because Tesla is manufacturing them, or at least insists on middlemanning the process. I'm sure they're really being made by some factory company in China. Tesla makes them, ships them to Ford who packages and sends them. Tesla hasn't been supplying them to Ford, though that's not confirmed, it's always just blamed on "a supplier". If Tesla was supplying them to Ford, there is no benefit to Ford to sit on them, so we can be reasonably sure the breakdown is either Tesla, or their suppliers. Considering Rivian got a bunch, it's likely Tesla over promised on behalf of their supplier.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
The North Amarillo Superchargers now show up as available to Lightnings on the Tesla and FordPass apps. I’m going to take credit for bringing to light Tesla’s deficiency and shaming them into opening these Superchargers. Hopefully I have also shamed Tesla into opening up the Mexico Superchargers.
Sponsored