• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Supercharger network now up to 66 locations with Magic Dock (4/17/24)

emptykim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Just stop at the EA station at the Walmart in Buckeye (bad layout but at least a couple of the chargers usually work). Make sure you have an 85%-90% charge. That will get you (easily) to Blythe. The ChargePoint station at Denny's isn't real fast, but it usually works. Charge to 80% (go have coffee or something at either the Denny's, Taco Bell or Burger King). That will get you to Indio, and there are plenty of DCFCs from there to Los Angeles.

In the future, CalTrans has several charging station projects funded for the rest stops between Indio and Blythe. That will help mitigate EA's appalling service.
my buddy is in Goodyear. So 227 miles from there to Indio Walmart EA. Is that realistic to make it on a single charge?

Once the Tesla chargers open up we’ll be golden on this route.
Sponsored

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
my buddy is in Goodyear. So 227 miles from there to Indio Walmart EA. Is that realistic to make it on a single charge?
If you: 1) Are driving an ER Lightning; 2) Leave with an 85% or more SOC; 3) keep it to 70 mph - you should be ok. Just appreciate that there is a substantial elevation change between Blythe and Indio, and you are traveling west into the prevailing wind. If you insist on 80+ mph the entire way, you won’t make it.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
If you: 1) Are driving an ER Lightning; 2) Leave with an 85% or more SOC; 3) keep it to 70 mph - you should be ok. Just appreciate that there is a substantial elevation change between Blythe and Indio, and you are traveling west into the prevailing wind. If you insist on 80+ mph the entire way, you won’t make it.
For reference I did Tucson to Deming, NM which is about 240 miles with a few elevation climbs. Kept it to 70mph except when passing. Used 80% SoC on my ER battery. And that was in 110F+ temps, so yeah, follow the above advice and you can do it (assuming ER battery).

emptykim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
For reference I did Tucson to Deming, NM which is about 240 miles with a few elevation climbs. Kept it to 70mph except when passing. Used 80% SoC on my ER battery. And that was in 110F+ temps, so yeah, follow the above advice and you can do it (assuming ER battery).
Yes ER. Sounds like I can make it. I'll keep an eye on the GOM and battery % along with the EA app to see if Quartzite chargers are free. I'll stop if they are open and do a quick 15-20 min stop.

onekopaka

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'01 Grand Marquis, '23 Lariat ER

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Nice tracking. You should work with @RickLightning to update the title of the thread as they increase. Or if Rick would prefer to keep this thread the same for a point in time tracker of 17, you should consider starting your own tracking thread with your graph and updates in it where we can look back in 2 years and have a history.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I am not-so-patiently waiting for Tesla to open up. I can't even take the truck up to San Antonio from Corpus Christi for the day. 150 miles each way, but no place to charge when I get there, unless I drive 20 minutes out of the way and hope I don't have to wait while local VW's charge for free at the WalMart EA stations.

Here is the map of stations with >55kW charging capability. Exactly when does Biden want us to all drive electric cars?

So the truck that I bought and love to drive stays at home, and we take the wife's Highlander. Talk about a downgrade!
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger network now up to 66 locations with Magic Dock (4/17/24) IMG_5518.PNG
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger network now up to 66 locations with Magic Dock (4/17/24) IMG_5517.PNG

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I am not-so-patiently waiting for Tesla to open up. I can't even take the truck up to San Antonio from Corpus Christi for the day. 150 miles each way, but no place to charge when I get there, unless I drive 20 minutes out of the way and hope I don't have to wait while local VW's charge for free at the WalMart EA stations.

Here is the map of stations with >55kW charging capability. Exactly when does Biden want us to all drive electric cars?

So the truck that I bought and love to drive stays at home, and we take the wife's Highlander. Talk about a downgrade!
IMG_5518.PNG
IMG_5517.PNG
Access to Tesla will change a lot. Farley knows how bad they screwed up. At least he was the first to announce the partnership with Tesla.

DFW has also been an island for non Tesla DCFC charging, but with the new Charge Assist app debuted this week by Ford (go look in your truck on the Apps screen) see if they identify any chargers that you aren't aware of.

I do agree that Plugshare is likely the best app for that, but my 5 minutes of playing with Charge Assist has shown me some chargers not too far from my house I wasn't aware of. I need to check them out, see if they are real or even if they work.

We do already know the Charge Assist app doesn't live up to its hype for starting and billing a charging session, but with any good luck at least maybe they know where the chargers are since that is a fairly static piece of information.

PS - One last bit of information, as early adopters, and we truly still are, sometimes you may have drive a bit out of the way to find a charging station. As you note though, you are still gambling on whether it will work or not.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

So the fact that your state didn't install enough DC fast chargers is whose fault?

Sorry that 20 minutes is too far for you.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
So the fact that your state didn't install enough DC fast chargers is whose fault?

Sorry that 20 minutes is too far for you.
Yes, 20 minutes plus the uncertainty of being able to charge, plus the hour of charging...Why not take the ICE vehicle?

Rick, you have a habit of attacking people on this forum. Have you ever considered that you are really not a nice person?

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, 20 minutes plus the uncertainty of being able to charge, plus the hour of charging...Why not take the ICE vehicle?

Rick, you have a habit of attacking people on this forum. Have you ever considered that you are really not a nice person?
You brought politics into the discussion, which doesn't belong on this forum. I asked you why your state hadn't installed DC fast chargers to prepare for your purchase of an EV. How is that attacking you? Because I made fun of your 20 minute complaint? By the way, charging takes 36 minutes to go from 20 to 80%, not an hour. Sorry you felt that making light of your 20 minute complaint was attacking... We've driven to/from Florida several times. Last trip was 2,950 miles. I "wasted" 2 hours with charging issues. No biggy. I knew of the charging infrastructure before I bought 2 years ago.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I'm just asking you to please look over your past activity, and consider whether you could be more charitable in the future. The "sorry 20 minutes is too long for you" is snarky at best. Not trying to pick a fight. I'm guilty of being overreactive myself. Just please, let's not try to provoke each other.

Sorry if you were offended by the Biden reference. I was just pointing out that the goals are not realistic. Not meant to attack anyone's party affiliation. I should have left his name out.

OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agreed on all fronts.

Keep in mind that the $7.5B is a 5 year effort. It takes government a long time to get rolling. The Magic Docks are part of that effort, and that agreement was a "mere" 7 months ago. I'm actually shocked that it is moving forward as fast as it is, given that it was 3,500 "by end of 2024".
Sponsored