• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

To the Standard Range people. Any regrets not going Extended Range?

TurboChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, silverado
Occupation
Management
I bought an ER for a couple reasons.
1) the discounts at the time on the ER model made it practically a free upgrade.
2) as the battery ages the ER will slowly lower to the range of the SR so I'm hoping to always have more than enough range for my needs later in the life of the battery.

I know a SR would have worked out fine for me (perhaps except sometimes when towing). Longer range is nice when you don't have to charge on a trip, not because of down time but instead because when not charging at home it costs so much more money than charging at home. Few and far between for me honestly though.

******Most importantly******(imo)
I feel that more range and bigger battery isn't what is needed with EV's, instead faster charging is much more of importance than a larger battery. My ER doesn't need a larger battery, the distance I can cover in between charges on the highway make me want a break to wake up, stretch the legs, ect. The most important thing would be having those charging stops take half the time.
Improved charging times is the most important future. Longer range like 400 miles or more would only be beneficial for highway towing since that cuts out so much range.
Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
Similar story here, except my pro was bought back by ford so it forced my hand. I likely would have got another standard range if the discounts and incentives weren't so good on the extended range. Towing is the biggest benefit for me. When I take my boat to the mountains I used to barely make it on one charge. Now with the ER I make it easily. Also when random people ask you the range they normally respond with "that's pretty good" to the ER numbers vs "hmm" to the SR numbers.
Was watching your video on the seat cover swap after it wound up in my YT feed and was a bit confused when your interior shots showed the XLT seats and carpet. I now understand why! :LOL:

CyclopsThere

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
EV is like anything else electronic, buy the best you can afford at that point in time and don't look back.

If I could have swung the 15k price difference I was faced with I would have purchased the extra miles/battery no doubt. But it was too big of a hit for me, so I didn't.

SR is doing just fine- get to the coast and back on ~1 charge, and 1 way between here and seattle on 1 charge. So for my main long drives it's not a big deal.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
If you live in a winter climate, and aren't just driving locally, in the dead of winter you're really going to want the ER battery. I am looking around for a new one to grab before year end, and as soon as I see SR I move on. 230 x 65% = 150 miles. Going from 10% to 80% on a trip lowers that to 105. No way I would consider that.

But if you only drive a fraction of that, or live in Florida, it is fine.
I do 100 miles a day in NH/MA, charge to 100% M-F during the winter months and most times I get home with a minimum of 40% or 100 miles on my battery. No regrets on my SR Lariat.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
I'm now 2 years in, I would appreciate having the ER (which would have allowed us to use the truck on a few trips) but I appreciate the $20k I saved more. I've looked around and have seen some pretty good deals on Lariat ERs that might cost in the range of like $8k to upgrade my XLT SR, and I considered it but the trucks sold rather quickly.

At this point I am probably going to wait it out and hope I can get a used GM Sierra EV in maybe 3 years because that increase in range and charge curve is likely to be very worth it.

Sponsored

toskin

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford Lightning Flash
As of last week (the Labor Day discounts were substantial) the difference between a 2024 XLT SR and a 2024 Flash ER was $6500. Even taking battery size out of the equation, all the other stuff that the flash adds makes the upgrade hard to pass up.

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
As of last week (the Labor Day discounts were substantial) the difference between a 2024 XLT SR and a 2024 Flash ER was $6500. Even taking battery size out of the equation, all the other stuff that the flash adds makes the upgrade hard to pass up.
Meanwhile it was a nearly $20k jump in 2022.

😢

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
What were the rebates you were seeing for the Flash?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
we must all be really blessed:

private jet owner/buyers have these same conversations

-some jets can travel cross-country without stopping...
-others have to stop somewhere along the way, but are much 'cheaper'..

I don't believe those folks use the term 'cheaper', though... it's not in their vocabulary

don't stress it - just drive. : )

Sponsored

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
I have a 2023 SR Pro with 10K miles (avg 2.3 mi/kWh).
I have a TMY LR for my road tripping needs, it's very efficient, 2X less costly to operate, and has autopilot.

SR Likes:
Sub $40K OTD price (with Tech and Pro Power Pkgs)
Lighter weight than ER improving handling and payload.
Tesla SC access and complimentary Ford adaptor, absolutely no charge anxiety now
Pro Power with a large (98kWh) mobile energy power bank.
SR ride is sublime, possibly best riding vehicle I have ever owned.
Very respectable charging up to 80%.
Same great Frunk and build quality as ER
Vinyl Seats and rubber floor in Pro

IMHO, most buyers should save their $$ and choose the SR. For range and towing, neither SR or ER compete with diesel and gas . The bespoke Gen 2 Lightning should have notable improvements in efficiency and battery chemistry. Ford mis-marketed the Lightning and didn't know their prospective buyers. The Gen 1 Lightning didn't scale causing Ford to write off huge losses. This is reason enough to limit one's own investment and potential future losses.

Last edited:

toskin

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford Lightning Flash
What I was trying to point out with my first post (and after re-reading it I admit I did a poor job) is that it’s no longer just a choice between SR and ER batteries- it’s now a choice of trim/options only, because you can’t mix and match batteries anymore.

In our case, we did buy that 2024 Flash, but not because of the bigger battery. To buy new and get pro power onboard, 7700lb towing, adaptive cruise control, and a heated steering wheel (yeah, I know) we found we had to buy a flash. We were originally shopping for an XLT.
Sponsored