• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

To the Standard Range people. Any regrets not going Extended Range?

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
To those that have been driving a SR truck for a while, have you ever needed those extra 80 miles? I have an XLT reserved and I'm having a tough time justifying the massive jump in price.
Sponsored

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I'm fine with the SR pro, I've got about 3k miles down and have taken a few trips that just require public charging. I'd take the extra range but not for that price this early in the game personally. I'm mostly driving local and charging at home, so the SR fits my needs well.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I love my SR Lariat.

Much rather would have preferred the SR XLT since it's just a commuter vehicle.

Very happy with my SR.

Since I never tow, haul nor speed over 45MPH, I am getting way more range than EPA stated.

Also, living in a year round warm climate (like today's hot and sunny weather), helps with range.

Even mid December in So Calif I am getting 15% over EPA range (260-275 miles) per 100% charge.
Ford F-150 Lightning To the Standard Range people. Any regrets not going Extended Range? IMG-9842.JPG

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I've only had mine for 2000 miles, but 1400 of it was driving from Iowa to FL. The range and faster charging would have been a luxury on the trip, but I was pleasantly surprised with the SR's trip capability along major routes. And now that I'm home, it's *plenty* of range. I'm averaging 2.8 mi/kWh as the family truckster around town the last week or so, so that would be almost 280 miles of range on a full charge.

No regrets, here, especially for a ~$40k increase over my Pro. Would I pay $10k right now to magically have the bigger battery? Maybe, for longer trips/towing/cold climate, but no regrets at all since the $10k number is a moot point with the Pro.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
No anxiety here from SR. I go out for a whole day doing errands all around town, and get home with enough % that I could go out and do it all again and still make it home.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you live in a winter climate, and aren't just driving locally, in the dead of winter you're really going to want the ER battery. I am looking around for a new one to grab before year end, and as soon as I see SR I move on. 230 x 65% = 150 miles. Going from 10% to 80% on a trip lowers that to 105. No way I would consider that.

But if you only drive a fraction of that, or live in Florida, it is fine.

Last edited:

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, Matrix, 91 Galant VR4 (for sale)
SR Pro + 2Dr Base Bronco is about the same price as a Lariat ER.
That's how I see it. I would rather purchase a second vehicle. If you don't have the luxury of space...then maybe I would consider the ER. we will soon find out if this opinion changes, but I doubt it. Either the SR works out for me or the truck isn't in the cards.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
To those that have been driving a SR truck for a while, have you ever needed those extra 80 miles? I have an XLT reserved and I'm having a tough time justifying the massive jump in price.
Depends on your needs. My commute is 52 miles straight there and back, maybe 65-75 if I run some errands. I never had any intention of long road trips. My SR is fine.

if you push the upper limit for daily needs I’d regret it

Sponsored

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Located in Canada? Just take into account cold weather drop with your daily commute.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
No regrets, especially considering the price jump required to get an ER in the real world for somebody who finds the Pro to be more than adequate in every other regard.
If I would have had an opportunity to purchase a straight up Pro-ER, I am sure I would regret not getting that unicorn.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Absolutely none.

An ER would serve almost no purpose. The extra 80 miles are not needed 99% of my trips. If I need it, I charge it...not hard.

There are 2 types of people who buy the ER. Those that need it daily, and those who haven't owned an EV and have range anxiety.

This is my first EV, but I understood how it works and when I'd need to charge. For the lack of times I'll need to wait at a gas station...I can sit at a fast charger for 20 minutes 3-5 times a year.

Not to mention, for me, I would've had to spend $30k extra for an ER.

Last edited:

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
The SR is all that I need. Sure I would love to be able to road trip in the truck but I simply don't need to and no way was it worth $20k more to me. Excluding the 250 mile trip home from the dealer, I have never gone below 50% charge in the month that I have owned the truck. I drive it every day and charge to 90% every night.

Once the charging infrastructure improves I don't see any problems with road trips in the SR either.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
If you're open to hearing about it more broadly..for 6 years I was an EV only household on smaller packs. Roughly 218 miles and 237 miles or 200 miles set to 90% charging. I towed with them, drove in the snow, and never really felt like I was held back. It worked for 90% of my use cases and the remaining 10% worked albeit more painfully. I was never left stranded in those 6 years with over 250,000 miles between them.

That experience led me to buy the SR Pro. Would I have liked a bigger battery? Yes. Did it bother me enough to spring for it? No. At my daily settings I find the truck says generally that I have 200 miles of range - right in line with what I'm used to it.

How did I feel about it? Minor regret. VERY minor. That's mostly because of the change in charging infrastructure and costs. It was tough to stomach a $35 charging bill whereas I was used to free supercharging.

That all changed when I got my 314mi Rivian. 267 miles set to 85% charging and roughly the same as the ER Lightning. It's only 67 miles more, but man....it's some serious peace of mind. It's not that much more range but it makes a bigger difference than I expected. Day to day, no net difference but very impactful for when I'm driving 5+ hours a day.

What would I do if I had to do it all again? Base it on my use case. If it's a daily driver, around town, commuting, less than 4 hours straight a day. I'd go with the smaller battery and never worry about. I would double down on this statement if you don't drive more than 8+ hours on road trips.

If I did regularly drive more than 4 hours a day, tow regularly across big distance, or take regular long haul road trips, I'd definitely spring for the ER.
Sponsored