First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I've owned 4 F-150's before buying my Lightning. I don't need to see their market research, I *am* their market research. I think they need to start talking to the early adopters to see what we'd change, what works and what doesn't.
I have been called by Ford in the past to discus Ford Trucks. Even got paid once to provide comments (poor chrome on Lariats and twin turbo vs supercharging opinions). I don’t have gripes, I see areas for improvement.
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
One thing people don't think about - the design of the Lightning had to be similar to the design of the ICE F-150s, because otherwise you alienate / lose the "truck buyer". It's amazing in the ICE F-150 forums how ANY change, no matter how small, freaks them out. So, remove the shifter and put in the round knob, and they would go berserk.
I'm repsectfully pushing back on this a little.

The design of the Lightning had to be similar to the ICE design because Ford (smartly) wanted to use the chasis and components from their ICE F-150 as a quick goto market strategy. Yes, people converting to the Lightning from an ICE full-sized truck might appreciate the similar design...but the design was really from a quick goto market strategy.

In my opinion, Ford will have half a million of these trucks out before the other companies get to 100,000.

JustB

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
One thing people don't think about - the design of the Lightning had to be similar to the design of the ICE F-150s, because otherwise you alienate / lose the "truck buyer". It's amazing in the ICE F-150 forums how ANY change, no matter how small, freaks them out. So, remove the shifter and put in the round knob, and they would go berserk.

That said, if you participate in enough online forums / social media, you realize that ANY FEATURE in ANY PRODUCT usually has a split perspective - people love it and people hate it. Product designers often can't win.
Why not put a shifter and a turn knob and then everyone is happy! Except those that complain about having both.... Or better yet, a shifter and a button the the steering wheel.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Why not put a shifter and a turn knob and then everyone is happy! Except those that complain about having both.... Or better yet, a shifter and a button the the steering wheel.
Really? You expect them to provide TWO shifting methods? Then you'd have some idiot say "what happens if I shift to R on one and D on the other at the same time".

o_O

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've owned 4 F-150's before buying my Lightning. I don't need to see their market research, I *am* their market research. I think they need to start talking to the early adopters to see what we'd change, what works and what doesn't.
You just made the opposite argument.

You said Lightning buyers are not the typical F-150 buyers, then said you had 4 prior.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm repsectfully pushing back on this a little.

The design of the Lightning had to be similar to the ICE design because Ford (smartly) wanted to use the chasis and components from their ICE F-150 as a quick goto market strategy. Yes, people converting to the Lightning from an ICE full-sized truck might appreciate the similar design...but the design was really from a quick goto market strategy.

In my opinion, Ford will have half a million of these trucks out before the other companies get to 100,000.
Yes, the main reason for the design was speed to market. But you don't change what works in the #1 selling pickup in America.

That said, Farley has said clearly that from this point forth, models that come out (like the Explorer) will look nothing like what an Explorer buyer expects.

chillaban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Never had a heat issue. With the pro max it just doesn’t fit where the charger is placed. Anyway this is ford forum so I’m sure people don’t care to hear about our Tesla issues.
Yeah ditto. In our 2022 Model Y the Pro Max sized phones simply don’t line up to charge. They just heat up insanely before draining. Some people have more luck with them upside down.

Honestly the Lightning wireless pad isn’t working much better for my 14 Pro Max. It charged maybe 3% in an hour of driving. For those having better luck, how are you placing / lining up the phone? It could just be user error.

asudan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 3.5L, 2022 Tesla Performance Model Y
That said, Farley has said clearly that from this point forth, models that come out (like the Explorer) will look nothing like what an Explorer buyer expects.

Mustang is a good example of this.

JustB

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Really? You expect them to provide TWO shifting methods? Then you'd have some idiot say "what happens if I shift to R on one and D on the other at the same time".

o_O
The front of the truck goes one way and the back goes the other way. It's a mistake you'll only make once.

OP
OP

Galaxidan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
30 Model A,
I agree, I on the other hand am not your typical F150 buyer but have been a long time ford truck buyer. As mentioned in my first post I use my trucks for work and haver never bought a new one. Unfortunately if the lightning wasn't available my next truck was going to be a 6-7 yr old 3/4 ton Dodge with a Cummins. The Ford diesels have lost my business. My last one was the 6.4, alot of problems with less than 50k. I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time so probably not the best customer for ford as I'm not replacing it with a new one every few years. I'm really hoping Ford got this one right for a long life and many miles. The lightning is doing everything I need a truck for at this time.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
You just made the opposite argument.

You said Lightning buyers are not the typical F-150 buyers, then said you had 4 prior.
And I'm not the typical truck buyer. The typical buyer uses it for work, hauling or towing. I don't. And I would guess the majority of Lightning owners won't do those either.

JustBuyATesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat, 22 Tesla Model Y, 65 Vette
Different people have referred to it other ways, but copying Tesla's ability to turn on or off "Creep Mode". Creep mode 'on' makes parking this large vehicle in tight spots much much easier (and safer!).

The other one was mentioned prior but the ability to control 'charging limit' from FordPass.

And fwiw, both of these seem pretty easy to update and uncontroversial.

Tmack7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I don’t mess around much with forscan or the electronics in my vehicles but it doesn’t seem to far out there that someone would be able to add a Mach e shifter to the dash below trailer brake (or ideally swap location with pro trailer back up) then put console bin in the shifters place. May require some harness extensions and may or may not work with forscan mods. Given the mods and post build add ons I have seen someone with enough know how and willingness could likely pull it off.
Ford F-150 Lightning Top Lightning gripes or dislikes. 640B51EE-03CC-4289-BF50-630983530CA1

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I had the UnLeashed system in my 2021 Lariat. While better than the 8 speaker system in the Lightning, it isn't worth the price of going Platinum.
Yeah, had it in my Expedition. It was just "meh.." The Platinum is a lot of money just for some slightly nicer seats, which are fugly, IMO. And barely better audio, which can be fixed with aftermarket speaker and amp upgrades. And while I like the look of the Platinum wheels over the carbonized grey boring wheels of the Lariat, I didn't want 22's...
And I'm not the typical truck buyer. The typical buyer uses it for work, hauling or towing. I don't. And I would guess the majority of Lightning owners won't do those either.
You seem typical to me. The number of F-150s I see driving about that obviously never haul anything, never work, never leave pavement.... Yep. The real point here is that the F-150 is the world's best selling vehicle. There is no typical F-150 buyer as they are bought by all types for any and all use scenarios. Ford's attention to detail on the interior options and tech is pretty lackluster for such a vehicle, IMO. Understandable for first model year to some degree, just to get the truck in production. I'm sure the global situation threw a wrench in a lot of plans. In most normal years, our 2023 Lightnings wouldn't be having features removed, we probably would have seen the addition of Limited and King Ranch trims. ...And ER battery for retail Pro customers with no order restrictions by trim level.
Sponsored