• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedMarina.com
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Marina Employee
We tow this center console nearly every week and a good average for 60-70 mph highway speeds is 120 miles per charge. Some trips force us to take back roads with lower speeds netting us up to 150 miles per charge.

The Lightning tows SO damn well....just wish it had more range.
Recently tipped 30k miles and will need tires in another 3-5k. Other than that we've just rotated tires and did a software update!

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) 1.0kWhmile towing ~7000lb boat  rF150Lightnin
Sponsored

CyclopsThere

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT
That boat is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind some boat tour pics if you had em.

When I'm feeling the kWh/mi crunch I slow down to ~60max and turn on "performance mode" (not available when towing I assume) but I've been getting remarkably better numbers doing that.

I think there would be a market for aero wheel covers-- even though they'd look universally worse, having the increase in efficiency would make up for it. I ran quite a search on them and couldn't find much at all.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
We tow this center console nearly every week and a good average for 60-70 mph highway speeds is 120 miles per charge. Some trips force us to take back roads with lower speeds netting us up to 150 miles per charge.

Recently tipped 30k miles and will need tires in another 3-5k. Other than that we've just rotated tires and did a software update!

1.0kWhmile towing ~7000lb boat  rF150Lightning.jpeg
That's a beautiful F-150 Lightning! And a beautiful boat too!

Eboss

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer
I just took my first long distance trip (200 miles one way) and saw about the same 1.0 to 1.1 m/Kwh. Pulled at 65-70mph smooth as could be. Also about 7500lbs and I don't have the tow package.

I'm totally happy getting about 130 miles of range towing the boat. The DC charging is the only disappointment, well below the competition. And we all know how awful the fast charging network is.

I also have a Tesla. It can't be stated enough how much better the Tesla software and superchargers are.

I think the Lightning is a great truck but only an OK electric vehicle.

I got a great deal on it, 2023 Lariat ER for <$60k after all rebates and taxes. None of the competition can touch that.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) 1000000485
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) 1000000495

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I also have a Tesla. It can't be stated enough how much better the Tesla software and superchargers are.
I think the Lightning is a great truck but only an OK electric vehicle.
Get the A2Z adapter. Your complaints about fast charging will be over.

Also, your $60k "OK" electric vehicle came with enough savings to pay for half your boat compared to dropping $100k on the CybertTruck.

Sponsored

Wsh68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, Tesla Model Y
we decided we wanted some lake time so we came up to our house at Shaver Lake Ca. The trip is 150 miles but we wanted a burger in Kettleman City In N Out so we stopped and charged it to 80%. I was averaging 1.9/kwh until we hit the mountains. The elevation gain was about 1 mile/kwh but still arrived with 27%.
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) IMG_6132
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) IMG_6131
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) IMG_6130

Eboss

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer

Also, your $60k "OK" electric vehicle came with enough savings to pay for half your boat compared to dropping $100k on the CybertTruck.

Unfortunately, not all Superchargers are open to NACs, especially when they share the same site as EA chargers. This is often the case in Michigan. We are still stuck messing with EA machines as Teslas zoom in and out. I do have a Lecron adapter and can't wait for the opportunity to use it.

For sure the Lighting is the best value truck. I definitely wouldn't pay $100k for a Foundation series CT, not sure I'd trade the Lightning for an $80k version either. What if they were the same price? Hmmmm?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
For sure the Lighting is the best value truck. I definitely wouldn't pay $100k for a Foundation series CT, not sure I'd trade the Lightning for an $80k version either. What if they were the same price? Hmmmm?
Well I got my Lightning Pro for $45k sticker less $7500 rebate, so going to be hard to ever beat that price on a new EV truck for a long time.
Also, I have been enjoying driving my Lightning for almost 2 years compared to when my Cybertruck reservation invitation finally came up this spring (so far have not even been tempted to buy it).

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I think there would be a market for aero wheel covers-- even though they'd look universally worse, having the increase in efficiency would make up for it. I ran quite a search on them and couldn't find much at all.
A roll of 2" blue painter's tape will allow you to test your theory without shelling out for unproven wheel covers.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Right. A2ZEV makes the Typhoon Pro adapter for Tesla SuperChargers. It sells for $193.50 (after using code FORDFORUM). They also sell the Stellar adapter, which is for Tesla Destination chargers. It sells for $110. If you pick use the dropdown menu on the Typhoon Pro page to pick the Stellar adapter also, the combined price is $261, 20% off. In other words, it’s only $67.50 more for the destination charging adapter. Delivery is normally 2-3 weeks. I have both adapters and have used both many times. They work great. https://a2zevshop.com/products/nacs-ccs1?ref=Typhoon&variant=43186507579592

Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic

1.0kWhmile towing ~7000lb boat  rF150Lightning.jpeg
This is about what you going to get with towing a 7K boat. I tow a camper and all my water toys and loaded bed to the coast. 260 miles to our destination. Making two stops to charge. Yes…..we have to disconnect the trailer, which we can do it in 2 minutes. Now, we only use Tesla superchargers instead of EA. The truck does the job flawlessly.
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) IMG_1253
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) IMG_1296
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing 1.0 kWh/mile (7,000 lb boat) IMG_1297

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
This is about what you going to get with towing a 7K boat. I tow a camper and all my water toys and loaded bed to the coast. 260 miles to our destination. Making two stops to charge. Yes…..we have to disconnect the trailer, which we can do it in 2 minutes. Now, we only use Tesla superchargers instead of EA. The truck does the job flawlessly.
IMG_1253.jpeg
IMG_1296.jpeg
IMG_1297.jpeg
Thank you for being a part of the Ford family!

OP
OP
Electrified Marina
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedMarina.com
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Model 3, Model Y
Occupation
Marina Employee
That boat is gorgeous. I wouldn't mind some boat tour pics if you had em.

When I'm feeling the kWh/mi crunch I slow down to ~60max and turn on "performance mode" (not available when towing I assume) but I've been getting remarkably better numbers doing that.

Thanks!!
The X Shore line stands proudly amongst the competition!
They feel larger and ride better than similarly sized vessels.

We'll try that performance mode and see if it's useable and/or better when towing.

We will also stay tuned for aero wheel covers' efficiency.

X Shore pics to follow!
Sponsored