Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
IMG_0155.jpg

If it takes 17% to charge back to 80% why can't I simply use that % change times the total battery size to calculate energy consumed? Is 17% of 131kWh = 22.27 kWh added correct or not?
You may have only used 17% of your battery, but there are charging losses to take into consideration if you're trying to figure out the cost to recharge your truck.

I know you say you don't want a different charger, but the Emporia EVSE will accomplish what you're trying to do.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing costs - help with calculations Screenshot_20231025_140423_Emporia Energy
Sponsored

Reactions: cal

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
Boy I'm so embarrassed.The 17% charge log is not for my towing trips. I can't find the tow trip charge anywhere. Not showing up in the Ford Pass app, trip data gone from the truck when I reset the trip meter. I rarely delete my Ford Pass data and I'll have to wait for another tow opportunity to check that out.

So below is a two person trip to town and back.
IMG_0155.jpg

If it takes 17% to charge back to 80% why can't I simply use that % change times the total battery size to calculate energy consumed? Is 17% of 131kWh = 22.27 kWh added correct or not?

I do not intend to add a faster home charger. Been fine using the mobile charger except for the lack of data. I just want to see how much cheaper it is to run my truck. I've always kept gas records on all our gas vehicles. I could clearly see my Tundra's mpg drop when I was towing or winter driving. I rarely let my EV's drop below 50% and never charge above 85%. So I'm typically adding 10-20% on a charge. Just want to know what it costs to add that % back to my truck.
Your math is right and the best way to do it if you're not going to install a charger that will track for you - there is typically (in my understanding) ~10% loss in energy used to energy stored in the battery, so you could safely add 10% to your cost and probably be a little more accurate. Rounding errors on the charge percentages could add up over time, too, though they likely would even out over time.

OP
OP

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Thanks and thanks to all responding!

I’m pretty sure my towing trips are done for this year. I’ll probably have to wait until the spring. Going to build a road that will require multiple landscape company trips. Not long enough to warrant a truck load.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Boy I'm so embarrassed.The 17% charge log is not for my towing trips. I can't find the tow trip charge anywhere. Not showing up in the Ford Pass app, trip data gone from the truck when I reset the trip meter. I rarely delete my Ford Pass data and I'll have to wait for another tow opportunity to check that out.

So below is a two person trip to town and back.
IMG_0155.jpg

I do not intend to add a faster home charger. Been fine using the mobile charger except for the lack of data. I just want to see how much cheaper it is to run my truck. I've always kept gas records on all our gas vehicles. I could clearly see my Tundra's mpg drop when I was towing or winter driving. I rarely let my EV's drop below 50% and never charge above 85%. So I'm typically adding 10-20% on a charge. Just want to know what it costs to add that % back to my truck.

Did you actually drive 56 miles on the trip 10/18??

The reason i ask is that the charging record rarely computes the restored energy "Estimated Distance Added" value accurately for my truck.

I tend to burn electrons at a more aggressive rate, but some folks, possibly your's could be right on point.

Consider adding the emporia Vue2 to get an accurate measurement of energy through the FMC to your truck, it's a great data collection tool!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The most accurate way to see how much energy you put into the truck is to look at the Ford app WHILE THE TRUCK IS CHARGING. It will display the amount of energy, with a decimal point, that has been added. Click on the button while it's charging, THEN UNPLUG.

Divide that by 0.9, i.e. accounting for 10% loss from house to vehicle. It might be as much as 15%, so play with 0.85 too.

That's how much energy you used.

Also, remember that towing at low speed uses much less energy than towing on the highway.

Sponsored
OP
OP

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Did you actually drive 56 miles on the trip 10/18??

The reason i ask is that the charging record rarely computes the restored energy "Estimated Distance Added" value accurately for my truck.

I tend to burn electrons at a more aggressive rate, but some folks, possibly your's could be right on point.

Consider adding the emporia Vue2 to get an accurate measurement of energy through the FMC to your truck, it's a great data collection tool!
Yes the milage is correct for 10/18

I ignore the distance added and only focus on the Total Charge added. In this case I used the 17%

I do have the Ford Pro Power wall unit but haven't considered installing it. Does that give a an accurate measurement? I probably don't have a strong enough interest to pay a few hundred $ to install.

OP
OP

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
The most accurate way to see how much energy you put into the truck is to look at the Ford app WHILE THE TRUCK IS CHARGING. It will display the amount of energy, with a decimal point, that has been added. Click on the button while it's charging, THEN UNPLUG.

Divide that by 0.9, i.e. accounting for 10% loss from house to vehicle. It might be as much as 15%, so play with 0.85 too.

That's how much energy you used.

Also, remember that towing at low speed uses much less energy than towing on the highway.
Are you talking about the button in the charge port? Not sure how I'm going to get an accurate measurement if I'm unplugging before the charge finishes.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Are you talking about the button in the charge port? Not sure how I'm going to get an accurate measurement if I'm unplugging before the charge finishes.
You missed the word "app" in my answer.

Cluck on the word DETAILS....

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing costs - help with calculations Screenshot_20231025_174338_FordPass

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Got it. So let it finish but make sure I check the details on the app before I unplug.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I do have the Ford Pro Power wall unit but haven't considered installing it. Does that give a an accurate measurement? I probably don't have a strong enough interest to pay a few hundred $ to install.
Yes, it's very accurate, and you can input the cost factor for your energy, it will show the cost of the charging by day, week, month & year.

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing costs - help with calculations 1698272640205
Ford F-150 Lightning Towing costs - help with calculations 1698272657118

BTW, my energy rate for Sept/Oct is now running 29.81 c/kwh and going up to 35 c/kwh in December

Ford F-150 Lightning Towing costs - help with calculations 1698272872372

Sponsored
OP
OP

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Thanks! Maybe I'll have to reconsider.

Man that's a 30% increase. Why?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Thanks! Maybe I'll have to reconsider.

Man that's a 30% increase. Why?
The two year community bulk purchase agreement for our region of Mass was renegotiated, the energy portion of my bill will rise from 10 c kwh to 15 c/kwh, while the balance of costs are for distribution fees remaining stable (for the moment) the economy and fuel costs to generate Electricity in New England are going through the roof. Retail National Grid cost is 3 cents higher than the CBPA rate!!

• Wow

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
👆 This. Drag is the main robber of efficiency and drag increases exponentially as speed is increased. There's certainly an efficiency hit with a heavy load. It takes more energy to get up to speed but once up to speed the main problem of weight is rolling resistance, which isn't terrible with properly inflated tires on a hard surface. Plus you get some of that energy back when you stop!

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
OP must have the save utility I’ve got Clark PUD. We pay $0.0816 a kWh 24/7. Same rate for the last 10+ years. We have a monthly connection fee of $12 but got to pay that regardless of owning an EV or not. No addition admin, distribution or transmission fees. Costs me about $50 a month to drive 1700 miles. We also have gas prices at or above CA rates. We have got to be in the most economically beneficial place to drive electric in the country.
I live west of you in PC and we pay $.0634/KW. cost me about $55/month to drive 2200 miles.

OP
OP

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Ford has to do a much better job at communicating how cheap it is to drive. Can’t imagine why they missed it so bad. It was one of the main perks Tesla pushed on in store displays and on the website. They act like everyone should just know.

What’s PC? That’s really cheap!
Sponsored