• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Trailer disconnect but range wrong

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
I did a search for this but no luck,

my question is when I connect a trailer and later disconnect it my range is still estimating the trailer connected, why happening and how do I go back to no trailer range?
I did do a drive history reset but still estimating a trailer connected. Ford really? Farely stop driving your Porsche to work everyday, Please!
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I believe I read in a previous post somewhere on this forum that once you start driving again it will readjust.

my question is when I connect a trailer and later disconnect it my range is still estimating the trailer connected, why happening and how do I go back to no trailer range?
I did do a drive history reset but still estimating a trailer connected. Ford really?

OP
OP
Nomoregas

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
I believe I read in a previous post somewhere on this forum that once you start driving again it will readjust.
Well I have started the truck on 3 different trips today but all estimating the trailer range which as we all know is like 50 percent, I will see after a 400 km day recharge what the estimate is tomorrow, today I did 400 km in 150 km I think I am on to something!

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
And next time switch to No trailer before unplugging the trailer.

Sponsored

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)

I did do a drive history reset but still estimating a trailer connected. Ford really? Farely stop driving your Porsche to work everyday, Please!
Did you set up a trailer profile and use it while towing? If not, you were distorting the range calculations for driving without a trailer.

WilliamRobert

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
happily retired!
I haven’t towed for awhile, but it has to do with unplugging while the vehicle is on or off. So try both unplug while it’s on or unplug while it’s off .

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
You will need to go back in to go Towing app and click no trailer attached which is the top line that resets you back to normal driving
I tried plugging in a lightbar to the towing harness and then found out that any load makes the truck think there's a trailer and disable the rear safety sensors. After disconnecting, the above was still required even though I never put the truck in towing mode. I guess it did it automagically. I've only towed once in my life (a small uHaul trailer), so it's still a new world to me and the truck being smarter than me doesn't help. 😅

OP
OP
Nomoregas

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
day 3 and several charges still on trailer mode no matter what I do, truck says there is no trailer attached but range is 50 percent on screen but I am going the proper range, so silly this is

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
day 3 and several charges still on trailer mode no matter what I do, truck says there is no trailer attached but range is 50 percent on screen but I am going the proper range, so silly this is
Go and reset EV history if it bothers you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Nomoregas

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
reset this 2 times so far will try again today

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Try deleting all custom trailer profiles, OTA's have been known to compromise older profiles.

Switch to default / generic profile then switch to no trailer setting, hopefully that corrects the persistent trailer recall problem.

Build a fresh profile only when needed next haul event.

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I feel like this shouldn't be complicated, I feel your pain. I assume you read m/kwh and see a difference.

OP
OP
Nomoregas

Nomoregas

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
so 4th day several more resets, after resets range goes down LOL. go to trailer settings says you do not have a trailer connected, FORD this is brutal, I will try what someone suggested and plug the trailer in and unplug with truck on and see if i can fix it.

I have noticed when first starting truck it says your range has ben adjusted to the trailer connected which is not.

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
I had the same thing happen to me once. I was trying different things and then pushed the Pro Trailer Backup Assist button.

Edit: I remember a thread from 2023 and posted a little more detail, and others with the issue reported that it worked:

Hail Mary fix.

Press the button for your trailer back up assist.

A message should pop up that it is detecting trailer, although one will not be connected.

Push the button to turn off the back up assist

Then go into your menu and select no active trailer.
Sponsored

Last edited: