• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Truck Wouldn't Go Into Gear

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
This past weekend, I borrowed my parents Tahoe for a 3.5 hr trip. Cold temps and lots of snow, it was just easier than worrying about charging. If we had the Tesla SC I wouldn't have hesitated.

After driving my truck for two days, my mom calls me yesterday and says the truck wont go out of park. She had tried letting it run for 10 mins, tried turning it off and back on. The truck showed it was "ready". After having her try a few things (park break on, off, neutral button etc.). I had her hit the top button by the gear shift that lowers the shifter. When she raised it back up, the truck then allowed her to go into drive. Anyone had this issue?

The only thing she could think of, was the day before she had accidentally turned the truck off while it was in drive and it went into park automatically. Truthfully, I've done that in her Tahoe before as well since its push buttons.

It could just be a glitch, but anyone had this issue as well?
Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Wonder if she had foot on the brake during the earlier tries?

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
This past weekend, I borrowed my parents Tahoe for a 3.5 hr trip. Cold temps and lots of snow, it was just easier than worrying about charging. If we had the Tesla SC I wouldn't have hesitated.

After driving my truck for two days, my mom calls me yesterday and says the truck wont go out of park. She had tried letting it run for 10 mins, tried turning it off and back on. The truck showed it was "ready". After having her try a few things (park break on, off, neutral button etc.). I had her hit the top button by the gear shift that lowers the shifter. When she raised it back up, the truck then allowed her to go into drive. Anyone had this issue?

The only thing she could think of, was the day before she had accidentally turned the truck off while it was in drive and it went into park automatically. Truthfully, I've done that in her Tahoe before as well since its push buttons.

I’ve had it happen before, but slightly different. Mine got stuck after lowering it and raising it back up. Might be an alignment issue with the shifter because I did the exact same thing - lowered and raise - and all was fine again.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

That shifter is finicky. It's had problems since the launch of the 2021 ICE. Check the sister forums. You'll probably find another post like yours.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I rarely lower the shifter but when I do, it has to fight all the snacks that found their way in there. And sometimes I use it's resting place to store something so if it ever try to go down on it's own, something is gonna break. Not a big fan of that shifter at all especially in Pro.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Ford has had mechanical issues with the shifter on the F150 trucks. I had to have mine replaced when it had trouble going into the correct gear. The dealer had me bring it in promptly in order to ensure that I would not get stuck somewhere.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
One item I had problems with similar is sometimes you need to push forward on the shifter just a little to be able to push the button and then get it out of park. Before trying to shift, if you pull back on it just a little, it will not shift out no matter what you do.

Streek

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
I had this problem late last year. After about eight weeks of troubleshooting Ford decided that it was a defective wire harness. So after eleven weeks at my local dealer, the truck was repaired. Luckily, I haven't had any issue with the shifter but I did / do have other craftsmanship issues that was done while the truck was repaired at the dealer.
Sponsored