• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Used vs 2023 vs 2024

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'd like your opinions and advice on what I've been racking my brain with the last few days. I decided I definitely wanted a Lariat 511A (ER), with spray in bed liner, and prefer max tow but not mandatory. Prefer locally available, but ok with long distance delivery.
  1. First looking at a 2023 511A on local dealer lot. Not max tow, scales removed. $76k, down to $68k with the tax rebate as nonpayment available now.

2. Then I saw used low milage 2022 models equipped as I want for $56k. OMG wow that's amazing. Then realized they are RAV buybacks with cursed repeat problems. All on the carfax so a curse that will follow resale value forever. The one I was hooked on turns out had a failure to charge problem. First time replaced SOBDM. Second time, nothing but software updates and no actual problem identified. Decided I don't want someone else's problems.

3. Non-RAV used low milage 2022 and 2023 models all in the $66K range. All long distance deliveries or a 4hr drive. Some with a long history of repairs. Some with a lot of open recalls or open CSPs for the batteries. Some just bouncing from dealer to dealer. Seems pointless when a brand new 2023 is only $5k more with the tax rebate.

4. Now I see the same local dealer from #1 has 2024 models on the way with max tow, 9.6k pro power option, and bed liner. $79k (of course), and the tax rebate deductible brings it down to $72k. They are in production and "a few weeks" out.

I live in the mid-atlantic, we have winter here. I have a 120 mile round trip commute. My 2018 Tesla model 3 has PTC heat only (no heat pump) and it is a hog in the cold weather. The 2024 model year has a heat pump like the newer Teslas which is a huge benefit to me. The 24 coming in has the max tow, which I don't need for towing but like having it for fast charging cooling. I am aware of an annoyed that Ford screwed with packages for 2024, basically resulting in less stuff for the same money. But also, there's nothing I can do about that.

Am I crazy to pass on the used and go with the 24?
Sponsored

Ray R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Flash, Model Y Performance
I’ll share the same advice I give to anyone who asks me a similar question.
Buy the newest or lowest mileage example you can find and comfortably afford.

OP
OP
Runaway Tractor

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I just noticed the 2024 w/ max tow, pro power, and bedliner MSRP as delivered on the window stick is $80,890. So no tax credit. The dealer is selling it for $79,995 and I didn't even look at the MSRP until now.

I'll probably be buying that new 2023 on Saturday :)

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I just noticed the 2024 w/ max tow, pro power, and bedliner MSRP as delivered on the window stick is $80,890. So no tax credit. The dealer is selling it for $79,995 and I didn't even look at the MSRP until now.

I'll probably be buying that new 2023 on Saturday :)
Remember the MSRP used for tax credit is before Destination and Delivery.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
And it's a tax credit, not a rebate. While it can be taken at the dealer, you still have to qualify from an income basis as well as the vehicle's MSRP (not including D&D). The only thing that is really different in 2024 is that IF you don't have the tax liability come tax time, but the credit was taken at delivery, you're still good.

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I would find a low mileage dealer buyback in the 50’s. Essentially brand new. There are quite a few on cars.com. They’re sometimes described as salvage title, but are really ford buyback program trucks. It’s in the CarFax report. Most were just waiting for a module that was backordered. They’ve since been repaired and are smoking good deals, imo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Runaway Tractor

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I qualify and I'd be using it as a down payment.

Remember the MSRP used for tax credit is before Destination and Delivery.
Yep. That $80,890 is before all that. The MSRP is over the limit.

Oafy44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 ford lightning
Occupation
Landscape contractor
I just saw on fords website offering 3.9% for 60 months on 23’s plus rebates. Judging by my dealer - they have 21- they just aren’t moving. I would go for a 23 personally - I think you get 3 years of blue cruise vs 90 days on a 24 as well.

OP
OP
Runaway Tractor

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I just saw on fords website offering 3.9% for 60 months on 23’s plus rebates. Judging by my dealer - they have 21- they just aren’t moving. I would go for a 23 personally - I think you get 3 years of blue cruise vs 90 days on a 24 as well.
I found out about that this evening also. Making my decision pretty easy.

OhSugar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro
I’m also watching 2023 511As. I’d also check the last 6 digits of the vin number on 23s and go for the highest number you can find. This is the position in production. Some 23s that were produced before Feb 2023 are experiencing recalls. Seemed to have resolved post-Feb 2023. We looked at a used and almost ended up in this case. For example, the used number was in the 5,000s in the production according to the vin#. The one I am watching now was delivered to the dealer in Dec 2023 (just a month old) and is 63000 in production line-up. We can’t wait to make our purchase!

Sponsored

Randall Stephens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Jet Builder
I found out about that this evening also. Making my decision pretty easy.
The 23 will have the dual onboard charger if your home setup can handle pushing the amps. Handy if you drive a ton and want to avoid a fast charger top off. The 24 only has a single charger on it.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
Yeah, I would go with the Ford buyback vehicles if you can. The heatpump in the 24s will buy a marginal improvement in winter range, but your commute is well within the range of the non-heatpump model 23's, and as was pointed out above, the '23 ER has dual on-board chargers so it can suck up 19.2 kWh if your EVSE and home circuit can run on a 100 A circuit (80 and you have an 80 amp EVSE, like the Ford Charge Station Pro (which should come with the '23 truck if bought new). The '24s do not have that.

OP
OP
Runaway Tractor

Runaway Tractor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Came home today with a new 2023 Lariat 511A ER. After melting out my brain studying every new and used option within 1000 miles, I ended up with the very first one I started looking at a local dealer lot. It was my favorite color (antimatter blue), and had the spray in bedliner I wanted.

I ruled out the RAV trucks. Not buying someone else's known problem that may or may not be fixed with a lifetime hit on the carfax. I'm sure there are some diamonds out there with a simple problem legitimately fixed. But I have more to do all day than evaluate the service history of 20 different trucks 1000 miles away.

I also ruled out the 2024. With the price increase and feature decrease, I would never get what I want under the $80k tax credit limit. The heat pump would be nice, but it's not $7,500 nice.

Thank you all for the advice!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Congrats on your ~NEW~ Lightning!
Sponsored