• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Venting heat through moonroof

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The moonroof on my 2023 Lightning Lariat ER seems to be identical to that on my 2020 Explorer XLT and neither of them operates in a way to allow venting of the moonroof while the sunshade is fully closed. Annoying for sure, but I guess it is the way Ford is designing these things. I’m not sure what Ford’s thinking is, but I could see that a driver whose sunshade is fully closed while the roof is vented might be more likely to inadvertently leave the vent open and allow rain to come in to the vehicle after leaving it.
I've always been astonished that Ford doesn't have a warning pop up "your sunroof is open" or "your back window is open" when you shutdown. They ask me if I want to turn off my rear sensors, and they know I opened the windows, ...
Sponsored

Storm Breaker

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
truck driver
Even helps the weak ass vents we have by keeping the uv rays out and it helps prevent premature sun damage and cracking.

MTBAZ

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
This sounds like a software fix.

Would this venting be something programable via Forscan? If not could some or all of the sunroof be replaced with a 2017 unit that had this feature?

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I do this as well... but thats really besides the point. Fact is being able to have the roof cracked and have the shade mostly closed would provide additional airflow and would be a beneficial option.

A real software pipe dream would be... being able to adjust all your windows, sunroof, and shade to the ideal "vent settings" and "capture" those locations. (Since there are likely not encoders telling actual position it would have to be done more as a sequence/timing capture, but it could be done) Once captured then have an option on the infotainment / app to activate "vent mode".

I will not beat a dead horse of Ford and its software abilities at this point. I have 0 expectation or hope... just my brain wandering
And then add auto close when the rain sensor detects rain...

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
I do this as well... but thats really besides the point. Fact is being able to have the roof cracked and have the shade mostly closed would provide additional airflow and would be a beneficial option.

A real software pipe dream would be... being able to adjust all your windows, sunroof, and shade to the ideal "vent settings" and "capture" those locations. (Since there are likely not encoders telling actual position it would have to be done more as a sequence/timing capture, but it could be done) Once captured then have an option on the infotainment / app to activate "vent mode".

I will not beat a dead horse of Ford and its software abilities at this point. I have 0 expectation or hope... just my brain wandering
You should suggest it to Ford. They may implement it if they think it gives them a marketing advantage.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old
I have an XLT so no sunroof, but even in past trucks that had sunroofs, I always get the vent visors for the side windows and crack all the windows....
Any idea if the vent visors they affect range significantly? Do you recommend a brand / source?

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
Any idea if the vent visors they affect range significantly? Do you recommend a brand / source?
Have not seen any affect on my range at all. I bought the ones from Ford. They were $79, which is a pretty good deal for vent visors. They fit perfect and are a low profile, they barely stick out from the window. I have also used and really liked the weather tech ones on past trucks. They are a little more at 109, but really good quality. I went with the Ford ones because they were a little lower profile.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I like the venting on my Volvos. Sunshade is closed except for a few inches and the moon roof is in the vent position. I like this for driving when it is sunny. It lets out some hot air, but the sun isn't baking the inside of the car. Too bad Ford can't/won't setup their sunroof to operate like that.

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Old
Have not seen any affect on my range at all. I bought the ones from Ford. They were $79, which is a pretty good deal for vent visors. They fit perfect and are a low profile, they barely stick out from the window. I have also used and really liked the weather tech ones on past trucks. They are a little more at 109, but really good quality. I went with the Ford ones because they were a little lower profile.
I ordered mine. Wonder when they will get to the local dealer.

BTW, today I got a warning that the cover for my 110 outlet in the bed was open - the rubber gasket had come loose in one corner. So outlet sensing and warning but not back window or roof warning. :)
Sponsored