First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer
So, we have both a Lightning and Mach E. We have a ton of charging credit left in the Blue Oval charge bundle on both cars... mostly because public charging basically never works at any EA station, or I can't get the Blue Oval stuff to work at the other random station that it claims is part of the Blue Oval network, so basically have almost never used any of the charge credits that came with the cars.

Not sure if there's any public info on this yet, but it'd be decent if we can plug and charge at Tesla SC locations and have it be part of the whole Blue Oval thingy, whatever it actually is.

We have heavy PTSD from public charging, and candidly, I have little hope that having access to the SC locations will actually improve anything at all. And interestingly, on routes we travel regularly in the northeast, there's almost zero SC locations anyway, so not sure it will be a quality of life improvement at all.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes, you will be able to Plug and Charge at the Tesla SuperChargers.

No, you will not be able to use your 250kWh of free charging at the Tesla SuperChargers, it is for EA only. You can use it via Plug and Charge, or activate via FordPass.

If you're trying to use your free hours anywhere besides EA, no wonder you are frustrated.

As to saying there are zero SuperChargers, if you use Vermont as your base, I can understand your frustration as the state lacks all types of chargers. But in NJ and around there, there are tons.

Been using EA for 2.5 years, and yes there are issues, but we've put 10s of thousands of miles on the two EVs.

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
The Tesla charging will be part of the Blue Oval network meaning you can start charging without using a separate app but the credits are for EA specifically.

I don’t think Tesla access will make much of a difference for me personally either.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The free charge credits from purchase of the vehicle are exclusive to EA. No other provider on the BlueOval network will work with those.

Naturally, Rick types faster than I do...lol

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
Unless your charge credits are different than mine, they're only usable at EA

Sponsored
OP
OP

nanohead

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E, 23 Lightning ER, 15 F150 XLT, 12 Cayman
Occupation
Engineer

No, you will not be able to use your 250kWh of free charging at the Tesla SuperChargers, it is for EA only. You can use it via Plug and Charge, or activate via FordPass.

If you're trying to use your free hours anywhere besides EA, no wonder you are frustrated.

As to saying there are zero SuperChargers, if you use Vermont as your base, I can understand your frustration as the state lacks all types of chargers. But in NJ and around there, there are tons.

Been using EA for 2.5 years, and yes there are issues, but we've put 10s of thousands of miles on the two EVs.
Thanks Rick, you're one of the most reliable and consistent posters here....

Not frustrated with the free charging, simply hate public charging as it literally never works correctly for us with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 that aren't either offline, broken, can't accept payment or won't start charging. I really don't care if I have to pay, but do really care if I get stranded.

Funny too, its not just EA, its every single charging network that we've tried in the past 2 years. My favorite is about 2 months ago, an EVgo plug got stuck in the Lightning charge port, all while the EVgo charger was caught in a reboot loop. After 20 minutes in zero degree weather, it finally released after they rebooted the charger for the 3rd time

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks Rick, you're one of the most reliable and consistent posters here....

Not frustrated with the free charging, simply hate public charging as it literally never works correctly for us with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 that aren't either offline, broken, can't accept payment or won't start charging. I really don't care if I have to pay, but do really care if I get stranded.

Funny too, its not just EA, its every single charging network that we've tried in the past 2 years. My favorite is about 2 months ago, an EVgo plug got stuck in the Lightning charge port, all while the EVgo charger was caught in a reboot loop. After 20 minutes in zero degree weather, it finally released after they rebooted the charger for the 3rd time
I totally understand. It's very location-specific. And timing. A crappy EA location could get new equipment and become great. Or, a great EA location could become crappy.

Huber Heights, Ohio has been crappy for 3 years...

As to networks, that's also location-specific. Some praise a particular network, but in your area that network may be totally garbage.

Also, some "networks" are really a bunch of privately-owned chargers with a brand on them, the brand supplies the equipment, the brand handles the billing, but the charger OWNER is responsible for maintenance. ChargePoint comes to mind.

Pilot and GM are putting in chargers. Many have canopies, etc. But it's run by EVGo. We hit 3 of these on a recent trip. 2 were great. The other was on New Year's Eve, in the dark, in a storm, and EVGo's network went down.

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Performance, Lightning Lariat Extended
Where did you see that? I thought we would have to use Fordpass to activate the charger. Plug and Charge would be fantastic.
Sponsored