• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wireless charger pad capable of 11kw (shown at CES)

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Connects directly to DC cabling in vehicle. Capable of 11kw charge rate. in screen display help guide you to park at the optimal position. The charging sweet spot is 100mm x 60mm so accuracy in parking is important.
Ford F-150 Lightning Wireless charger pad capable of 11kw (shown at CES) IMG_4924.JPG
Ford F-150 Lightning Wireless charger pad capable of 11kw (shown at CES) IMG_4925.JPG
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
How much weight does it add to the vehicle compared to a wired connection?

How long will the vehicle mounted pad last driving on unimproved surfaces, ie gravel roads?

What is the damage tolerance and what kind of protection does the vehicle mounted pad have?

How will this product save money over wired connections?

It seems like a good idea in some applications but I don't see this as a mass market item, will it be adaptable to more severe climates like high heat or cold/snow/ice?

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I'm not much of a foil hat if that's where people think I'm coming from, but my main concern would be electrical/magnetic fields plus the overall inefficiency of that type of charging. On the plus side it probably would require air suspension on trucks so they could hunker down over the charging pad.

WhipSticks

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Scientist
The magnetic fields are basically what killed this kind of device as a viable charger in the minds of many. The idea that a person or animal with metallic implants (or consumed items) might be on or near this pad when running makes it a significant safety hazard. The pads generate warmth and so animals (pets) might decide that it's a great place to bed down. Similar systems had to be installed with measures to prevent this, and the price and functionality loss became a real problem. Maybe these guys have solved these problems? I don't know. But wave 1 of commercial auto magnetic induction charging was a non starter commercially.

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I went back and chatted with them this morning. IP69k rated. Good for all driving conditions as well as hot jets in car washes. The vehicle side unit is 12 kilograms. The temperature operating range is wider than the temperature operating range of the EV battery.
There is a metal detector and multi object detection that will shut the unit down if it detects objects on or near the pad that could be harmed by the field. They referred me to the white papers on their website for details. The field emitted by the pad is below the acceptable levels for metal implants and medical devices. On the MachE you can’t see the vehicle mounted unit since it sits above the under tray. They have not mounted one to a lightning yet. I volunteered to try it but did not receive a free sample. They really want to sell this to OEMs( as is the point of CES). The future is bright.

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
I’m lazy but not this level lazy. It takes me about 10 seconds to plug in my truck when I pull in the garage.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
Better than solar roadways, but I don't see the problem they're trying to fix.

In fact I see this causing more problems then it could ever hope to fix.

Wireless charging is very inefficient, even the wireless charging pads for your phone are inefficient. Only reason I use one is it saves wear and tear on the charging port and overall level of convenience

OP
OP

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I don’t think I would add this to my personal vehicle. I also would not be interested in the increased cost of Ford including this on future vehicles except as an option. I would be very tempted to add this to my wife’s vehicle so I don’t end up needing to manage her charging.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
One step closer to being placed in roadways and charging as you go. Electric streetcars without the overhead wires.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my take on this great idea, is, that, well, it's an 'idea', but I don't know if it's truly 'practical' since you must ALSO have a vehicle that allows for 'underneath' magnetic charging, or modifying your existing vehicle... and, it's likely not something that works for most unless you have a garage where you always park in the same exact place, since you can't 'exit' without backing away from it, at least in it's current design layout. Maybe they have a design to also provide the CHARGE unit to be set to the SIDE, and the owner can bury the 'cable' and 'pad' within/into their garage flooring.

I could, though, see this as the next upgrade to DC Fast Charging, in the very long term, but with only the PAD on the ground, not a pedestal or barrier in front - with a 'drive thru' charging mentality. You pull up and over the pad, your vehicle 'senses' the pad and starts charging. No need to exit your vehicle. Of course, every vehicle would then have to have a 'new' Charge port design which also includes a charging RECEPTOR underneath. Hmmmmmm....

Along those same lines,
I've never understood the initial 'reasoning', parking design wise, when it comes to how DC Fast Charging parking was ever 'designed', or lack of thought about the practicality of the design.
Pulling up NEXT TO a charger should be the design, like at a gas station, NOT having to put up TO a charging pedestal, or worse, like Tesla, HAVING to back up to...crazy. Why in the world does the industry not see this?? Well, maybe some will, eventually... having the ability for users to pull NEXT TO a charger, giving the driver the ability to easily arrive, and EXIT, is key. Maybe some GAS STATION BRANDS will realize that, SOON! I've seen some promising signs from FlyingJ/Pilot... I also see that local CIRCLE K is soon providing two DCFCs... let's hope. Give us some cover, too.
Sponsored