OP

Smokewagun

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ford F-150 Lariat 3.0L Stroke
I think my biggest concern is resale and batteries with high mileage in a short term.
Really, if the truck fits my daily mileage needs today, it will in three years. The range will still be good. BUT, if the batteries start to degrade by 100,000 miles (for me at 3 years) who’s gonna want a three year old Lightning with 100k on it? I’ll be forced to drive it into the ground. These trucks are new. Has anyone witnessed 25% degradation in 100k? That’s SR territory, which will NOT work for me, as I proved with my 2022 Lightning. I guess I just need a little push from overthinking. I think I recall a guy footing the freight got a couple cell replacements, and it was over $10k. I doubt Ford will offer new replacement batteries with updated tech to us early adopters, like inserting energizer lithium batteries in a flashlight over the old Rayovac’s.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I've owned many vehicles including a new F-150 ICE. This is still the best vehicle and truck I've ever owned. I would absolutely buy one again. I'll own this one until significant battery technology advancements are made. Today, you'd buy the same tech as my 2022, but for 75% of the cost I paid.
PXL_20221119_153909864.jpg
We're so glad you're loving it, Gideon! That's a stunning F-150 Lightning!

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
Nope. Don't get me wrong. I love the truck, It's fun to drive and practical for around town and interstate trips. That said between the poor service / communication from Ford, having to give up on software updates (been over a year and a half for me and Ford and the dealers just point fingers at each other) and living out west where EV's don't have the range / infrastructure for much of what I like to do it is just not there for me.

ChrisC

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Focus Electric, 2017 FFE, 2020 KiaNiroEV
Yes! I love this truck and my favorite activity is to load my Costco boxes in the frunk where I get so many looks and questions :ROFLMAO: It stops the stuff from rolling around. I use the bed for yard waste and hauling large dirty items so the frunk keeps my food clean :)

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
I'll answer this in two ways. I have a 2024 Lariat ER.

If I had it all to do over again, no, I wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now. I love the truck itself, but the technology side of the vehicle is a complete excrement-show and I have spent more time messing around with technology issues than I have on my last 3 vehicles combined. I have also had to take it to the dealership for technology issues more times than the last 2 vehicles combined and I've owned it less than 3 months. Exacerbating the technical issues, the dealers do not have many educated technicians (my closest dealership has none and will not touch a Lightning or Mach-e) and every visit is a long wait for an appointment due to their loading. The Ford Lightning is not ready for prime time and that is very disappointing on a $80k+ vehicle.

In the future, 6-8 years from now, when I'm ready to replace my Lightning I will absolutely have it on the list, but if the technology issues persist, it will be an absolute no-go and I will buy a different brand.

Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I did already, actually I bought my first one, a 23 Platinum, from my original pre-order in the fall of 22. I bought my second one, a 23 Lariat, fall of 23.

They have served me well. A joy to drive, decent features, and has saved me a ton in fuel.

With that said, I also had a preorder on the Cybertruck. The Lightning just became available first, and I needed a truck right then (same for the second one).

If I were shopping today, I would be seriously considering that Cybertruck (now that it's readily available). The appearance doesn't bother me. I actually like it. And FSD is way more mature and capable than BluesClues. I like the built-in roll-up tonneau. I like the oversimplified interior. Way more charging infrastructure. And with a much larger installed base, accessories and community knowledge is a real thing.

I would really have to think about it. Pros and Cons on both sides. I really like the huge frunk on the Lightning. And I kinda like the stealth aspect of it. If you don't know any better, it looks like any other F150 (ish). I like the fact that many F150 accessories just work. But the Lightning also hasn't been supported quite as well, and certainly had some teething issues. I really WANT the Lightning (and Ford's EV push in general) to succeed. It's important that Tesla have strong competition, lest they just run away with it. I say this as a shareholder of both Ford and Tesla. I want them both to succeed.

At this point, I already have my 2 Lightnings, and that will hold me over until something comparable to a SuperDuty comes along to replace my old F350. At this point, it only gets driven a couple times per year to tow my toy hauler. I look forward to heavy towing becoming a thing in the EV world. If I could just buy the Tesla Semi with a bed on it, I would have already done it. :)

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Yes! I love this truck and my favorite activity is to load my Costco boxes in the frunk where I get so many looks and questions :ROFLMAO: It stops the stuff from rolling around. I use the bed for yard waste and hauling large dirty items so the frunk keeps my food clean :)
We love to hear that, Chris! The mega power frunk is the perfect clean space to easily transport whatever you need.