Climate Control on the Pro?

PCL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Tucson, Ford Maverick on order
I've been looking everywhere, and it seems like this is the one question I can't answer with a Google search or the spec sheet. I'm hoping that perhaps someone knows the answer or one of you eagle-eyed livestream viewers has noticed: what type of climate control is on the Pro trim? For me, some form of automatic climate control (don't care if it's single-zone or dual-zone) is the one creature comfort I can't give up and a potential increase in the EV tax credit has me considering a Lightning instead of the Maverick I have on order.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've been looking everywhere, and it seems like this is the one question I can't answer with a Google search or the spec sheet. I'm hoping that perhaps someone knows the answer or one of you eagle-eyed livestream viewers has noticed: what type of climate control is on the Pro trim? For me, some form of automatic climate control (don't care if it's single-zone or dual-zone) is the one creature comfort I can't give up and a potential increase in the EV tax credit has me considering a Lightning instead of the Maverick I have on order.
The interior shots we have seen of the Pro have the automatic climate controls from the ICE models, not the basic controls - so I would guess that is has automatic controls

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
Even the basic controls are automatic on the ICE models, the only thing different would be single and dual zone option.

What I wish to know is what type of system is used, I suspect an electric motor to run a compressor similar to what we have now. The heating is going to be the biggest concern for those in northern climates depending on system type.

If it's heat pump not so much an issue but if it's inductive heat like a space heater it's going to take a huge hit on range.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Even the basic controls are automatic on the ICE models, the only thing different would be single and dual zone option.

What I wish to know is what type of system is used, I suspect an electric motor to run a compressor similar to what we have now. The heating is going to be the biggest concern for those in northern climates depending on system type.

If it's heat pump not so much an issue but if it's inductive heat like a space heater it's going to take a huge hit on range.
I believe we have had it confirmed at the Lightning your events that it is a resistive heater and not a heat pump

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR

Yes confirmed from the Ford team on the Lightning road show resistive cabin heater.

Dual zone climate controls were present on the ride along in the Pro trim. Don't know if that is standard or an upgrade.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
It probably has the electronic/automatic climate control so that you can do preconditioning and then also have remote access through the Ford pass app.

The preconditioning is really one of those features that shows people how EVs are better and if Ford left it off the pro it would be pretty crappy.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Manual single zone is standard on the current xl
Automatic dual zone is optional
Ford F-150 Lightning Climate Control on the Pro? Screenshot_20211111-221408_Chrome

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
Am I the only one that hates climate control? I'd rather have two knobs instead of trying to guess what setting will blow a lot of cold air on me right away (e.g. getting into car on hot summer day) , or lightly blow warm air (the less sunny half of the year in PNW).

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Am I the only one that hates climate control? I'd rather have two knobs instead of trying to guess what setting will blow a lot of cold air on me right away (e.g. getting into car on hot summer day) , or lightly blow warm air (the less sunny half of the year in PNW).
Maybe it is just me, but on cars with automatic climate control I just set it to 68 degrees and it does what I want every time without having to touch anything (except turning on the defroster when needed)

Sponsored
OP
OP
PCL

PCL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, this sounds more like you've had some bad climate control systems...

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I agree...I've had my 2011 Audi Q5 for 8 years and the only time I ever touch the climate control is when I need the front window defroster. I've heard some manufactures are predicting this on some vehicles and automatically turning on the defroster and seat/wheel heaters depending on past usage.

Reactions: PCL
OP
OP
PCL

PCL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I agree...I've had my 2011 Audi Q5 for 8 years and the only time I ever touch the climate control is when I need the front window defroster. I've heard some manufactures are predicting this on some vehicles and automatically turning on the defroster and seat/wheel heaters depending on past usage.
My Tucson does that with the auto-defrost. I think it just bases it on outside temp, though I'm not sure how it knows when to switch back to front vents vs defroster.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My gmc blows max fan almost all the time. Poor design.

RLXXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F 150, 2014 Escape, 2011 Suzuki DR 650SE
Occupation
Auto tech
It probably has the electronic/automatic climate control so that you can do preconditioning and then also have remote access through the Ford pass app.

The preconditioning is really one of those features that shows people how EVs are better and if Ford left it off the pro it would be pretty crappy.
When I remote start my truck, it preconditions the cabin based on outside ambient temperature. It's part of the oem Ford remote start system, it is the basic system without digital screen and is fully automatic.

All systems are electronically controlled now with the only difference between manual and automatic a/c descriptions is having the digital read out of what temp you set it for and having dual zone.

They are both automatic systems.
Sponsored