Sponsored

JBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
100%. Pro is their Show teeth and XLT onwards are real usable teeth ...
They have pro only to show that the truck "starts at" $40k. Very thin profit margin!
The dealers are getting 10% off MSRP, you think Ford isn’t making money on the Pro? They know fleet buyers will purchase tons of them, they’re still making money.
Sponsored

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
This might date me but when I was growing up a regular cab long bed pickup truck was the cheapest vehicle you could buy. It wasn't until they went from work truck to status symbol that the prices started escalating. Love seeing all the empty beds running up and down the local roads.
i always wondered that. When did the change happened…I think with later year 10th gen when they added supercrew…
Is there a place to see historical prices to see how the cheapest, entry level f-150 has changed over time….

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning SR, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3, Zero DS
Occupation
Database Developer
i always wondered that. When did the change happened…I think with later year 10th gen when they added supercrew…
Is there a place to see historical prices to see how the cheapest, entry level f-150 has changed over time….
Ford F-150 Lightning đź“’ 2022 F-150 Lightning Order Bank Playbook With Pricing! Ordering Begin 1/6, Build & Price Tomorrow 1/4! DBA9ABF6-AAE6-4F33-A4E6-90DC9DB5755E

two wheels

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Ford Escape, Honda Accord
That's a possibility! Better yet, buy 2 and flip both at scalper prices , then buy a Chevy with the profit.?

I will definitely look at the Silverado.

Wonder when Toyota will produce the Tacoma EV they hinted at last month? Tacoma might be worth waiting for and should be enough truck for what I need.
If Toyota waits as long as it waited to upgrade the Tundra. Flying cars will probably start coming out around the same time Toyota goes EV.

Sponsored

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Developer
That’s from Australia!
Ha! I thought it was maybe BC. The price seemed a little high, I bought an F100 or F150 around that time and I remember it was one of the few vehicles on the lot under $10k. Sedans at that time were like $15k to $18k.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Ha! I thought it was maybe BC. The price seemed a little high, I bought an F100 or F150 around that time and I remember it was one of the few vehicles on the lot under $10k. Sedans at that time were like $15k to $18k.
About what year was that? Because $10,000 from 1975 is equivalent to about $50k today. From 1980 is about $34k. So not such a cheap truck.

CoyoteJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Database Developer
About what year was that? Because $10,000 from 1975 is equivalent to about $50k today. From 1980 is about $34k. So not such a cheap truck.
Early or mid 80’s…you could get a basic, striped down regular cab long-bed for $9,999. If memory serves…I could be wrong.

two wheels

First Name
ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, Ford Escape, Honda Accord
In hindsight, I would have been better off ordering the Rivian since they already come fully loaded in the 70’s. Another car in the same price range is the Lucid Pure with over 400 miles range. Many decisions over the next few weeks.
The Rivian just appeared too small for me. Then Rivian and Lucid both lean towards the spacey look from Mars, or somewhere. I'm conservative I guess. The Rivian's small size just closed the door for me.

Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
The Rivian just appeared too small for me. Then Rivian and Lucid both lean towards the spacey look from Mars, or somewhere. I'm conservative I guess. The Rivian's small size just closed the door for me.
4.5ft bed too (extends out further than you'd expect when open but still very short when closed). For me, is it weird the main draw back from it is that it doesn't have android auto.. I need my apps!

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Early or mid 80’s…you could get a basic, striped down regular cab long-bed for $9,999. If memory serves…I could be wrong.
Based on inflation, that same truck would be around $30-35k today. Pretty much what a base f150 goes for these days. Before the pandemic, an XLT could be had for $35k. Even the xl today has a hell of a lot more safety equipment and a much nicer interior than the base truck from the 80s.
So my point is that trucks haven't really gotten more expensive.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Everyone disappointed in the lightning roll-out or trim availability... Do you honestly think the Silverado EV will be any better? I don't understand how you think you will get one quicker, or get a cheap base model more readily available. Could you explain your thought process? I may be interested, but I'm highly skeptical it will be any different. I feel like this is a big case of "the grass is greener"...
While true, for me it would just be that I can reserve day one maybe even minute one as opposed to day 3 in the Lightning. Could be a huge difference or it may not matter. Just another option to have around.

Gary Gattis

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 C Max energi, 2015 C Max energi, 2017 Explore
Occupation
Retired Fire Chief
Looks like the Lightning Platinum is fully loaded except for the max-recline seats and one or two other small options. I'm going to configure a Lariat the way I'd like and see how it compares. Ford has a habit of pricing the next trim level up at just the right price where it often makes more sense than loading up the trim you're intending on. Then the next thing you know, you're adding more options... If it had a 450+ mile rated range, I'd load up the Platinum and just go for it. But I fear that I'll only keep this truck a couple years until batteries improve and I upgrade. 300 mile rated range is really pushing it for a good portion of what I'll do with the truck. 280 mile estimated on the Platinum with those 22" wheels is almost a deal breaker. Attending the Ford event and seeing the Lariat trim, I'm not wild about the grey painted wheels -- much prefer the XLT wheels. I like the look of the 22" wheels on the Platinum, but I don't want them due to the range hit and I'd prefer a bit more sidewall. Hoping we can configure the Platinum with a 20" option, but I kinda doubt it.
Why do you think the 22" wheels are why the Platinum takes the big hit in range? I thought it would be perhaps with all the options, the battery SoC would take a bigger hit with range. If they are heavier tires and rims it could be. The gear ratio with the 22" tires should be near the same with a lower profile tire so that maynot be the range problem at all. You maybe right the Platinum rims and tires could be most of the problem but mainly because they are heavier than the other models I would think.
Sponsored