• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range Question

It's Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Sittin' On The Dock of Bay, watchin' the tide.....
Vehicles
It's got four wheels - Waiting on my '22 Lightning
Greetings all. I have charged my truck twice now. The first time got me a reading of 330 miles. I just charged her again today, and now she reads a range of 341 miles.

Is anyone experiencing things differently when they are charging? Just finding it a bit odd frankly - though I am not complaining.
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Greetings all. I have charged my truck twice now. The first time got me a reading of 330 miles. I just charged her again today, and now she reads a range of 341 miles.

Is anyone experiencing things differently when they are charging? Just finding it a bit odd frankly - though I am not complaining.
In my Kia if I push the AC button on high range drops like 24 miles. Push to turn it off and it jumps right back up, could be a power usage adjustment. It should also be learning your driving habits to adjust. Temperature will change that reading as well I’d imagine.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The range remaining meter is often referred to as the GOM or Guess-O-Meter.
It will get more accurate with time but also it's a rough calculation based on recent driving patterns. I wouldn't read too much into it fluctuating a little bit.
Additionally, I would not recommend charging to 100% daily unless you really really need it. Try to stick to 80 or if you really need 90 and then only go to full of you are making a long drive.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
How do you track battery degradation if the GOM varies depending on your recent trips?

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does that mean when you have 5% battery degradation the battery will only allow you to charge to 95%?

With Tesla, the GOM is based on EPA "rated" miles. When new, my car would show 253 miles of range when charged to 100% but now it says 240 @ 100%. I don't even look at the number of miles for planning purposes because it depends on elevation changes, wind, temperature, speed, etc. but it's nice to know for planning purposes how much of my original battery capacity is remaining. ABRP even provides a variable for inputting your battery degradation as a percentage value.

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
The best was to deal with range is battery size * state of charge * kWh/mi.

So if you are driving around in you ER Lightning with 50% SOC, burning 1.8 mi/kWh and want to know how far you can go:

(131kWh*.5)*1.8 mi/kWh =
117.9 (kWh)(mi)/kWh
kWh cancels out and you get
117.9 mi.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Does that mean when you have 5% battery degradation the battery will only allow you to charge to 95%?

With Tesla, the GOM is based on EPA "rated" miles. When new, my car would show 253 miles of range when charged to 100% but now it says 240 @ 100%. I don't even look at the number of miles for planning purposes because it depends on elevation changes, wind, temperature, speed, etc. but it's nice to know for planning purposes how much of my original battery capacity is remaining. ABRP even provides a variable for inputting your battery degradation as a percentage value.
Yes - Ford does this completely different from Tesla and tries (key word "tries") to give a more accurate estimate taking into account driving history, load, weather, temperature, planned route, etc. It can vary a lot. In our Mach-e GT I have seen it go anywhere from 150 miles (winter) to 250 miles (summer) on a full charge.

If you want to measure battery degradation, you would need some type of ODBII reader to get more detailed info from the vehicle.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The best was to deal with range is battery size * state of charge * kWh/mi.

So if you are driving around in you ER Lightning with 50% SOC, burning 1.8 mi/kWh and want to know how far you can go:

(131kWh*.5)*1.8 mi/kWh =
117.9 (kWh)(mi)/kWh
kWh cancels out and you get
117.9 mi.
Hopefully Ford puts the numeric battery percentage (back) into the instrument cluster so we can get a better idea of how much capacity is left in the battery. They showed it in the promotional materials but then took it out for some reason. These images are from another recent thread here:

Now you see it.
Ford F-150 Lightning Range Question 1657018880332

Now you don't.
Ford F-150 Lightning Range Question 1657018855941

Rob G

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GV60 Sport, Bronco BL Sasquatch, Taycan 4S
Occupation
Retired
Hopefully Ford puts the numeric battery percentage (back) into the instrument cluster so we can get a better idea of how much capacity is left in the battery. They showed it in the promotional materials but then took it out for some reason. These images are from another recent thread here:

Now you see it.
1657018880332.png

Now you don't.
1657018855941.png
Really? MME has it. Perhaps they need to collect more data on these trucks. It’s a bit disappointing as that’s how I get comfortable in how far I can travel in the vehicle.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Now you see it.
1657018880332.png

Now you don't.
1657018855941.png
I thought we had folks telling us it does show up in the Bluecruise screen (hands free mode) but not in normal driving - very weird UI decision, but matches your pictures.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner

Now you see it.
1657018880332.png

Now you don't.
1657018855941.png
those pictures are accurate. It does show the percentage when BlueCruise is in hands free mode, like the first picture. You can also see percentage in “calm” mode.

After you drive for a while you’ll get a good feel for miles per kWh in different scenarios. The calc method by @Rob G is a great way to figure range.

I was getting 240 @ 90% but after pulling a trailer around this weekend I see 204 @ 90% this morning. I’m sure this will go back after I do some normal driving. I wonder if I defined the trailer in settings it would ”forget” those miles once unhitched?

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I really only care about range when I'm driving long enough to warrant using Blues Clues anyway, but it's still weird they wouldn't make it a fixture on the cluster in all modes.

If you did not program in that you were towing a trailer it likely did not throw those miles into a trailer profile; they're just mixed in with your regular profile. Based on what I've read, the GOM should change up or down when attaching or detaching a trailer - but you've gotta tell the truck what you're doing.

klossfam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat & 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Don't even try to out guess the guess o meter... Waaayyy too many variables.

I drove our Ioniq 5 in rolling hills at slow speeds on a 20 mile tour in Cape Cod and INCREASED range from 83 miles left to 97 miles.

Battery degradation is really only a thing later in life aka 75k+ miles assuming good charging habits.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
With our Nissan Leafs(2014,2015) models and our new Kia Sorento PHEV, we have learned that you base your start on the reality of what the battery pack is capable of on a normal day - regardless of whether the guessometer tells you more... our Leaf might show 70 miles on one morning, and 93 on the next, both days it charged to 100% overnight. No rhyme or reason why, but we never assumed it would travel over 70 miles on even a 'good' day. Over your miles of travel, those numbers will start to quickly 'correct' themselves.
Sponsored