Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
51k for a base model pick-up is ridiculous. I can get a new Audi Q5 hybrid premium for 54k.

I reserved in December so I won’t get an order in til 2024.

I’m out!
I feel like I'm uniquely situated to respond to this one, it's as if you're calling to me. I sold my Audi Q5 a year ago. I also own a Model S and a Model X - a more premium vehicle than the Model Y you're looking at. Oh I also managed to buy a F-150L Pro, the "base" model and I can say your'e underestimating it.

What do I think? I think it's worth $60k. At that sticker, the F-150L Pro is worth it until they start removing things from it.

Are certain features not available because they're reserved for higher trims? Yes. But this is by no means a stripped out vehicle. I think a lot of folks are just used to the stripped out ICE versions of pickups. These were no option, no frills, bought, and beat until they're rusted and junked. The F-150L Pro is not one of these and comes with a lot more creature comforts than any base model pickup typically does - or heck even the next level up.

I've lent out my truck to a number of folks on Turo, to some publications, as well as personally and everyone comes back saying type of things:

"I think I like it better than the Rivian..." (I agree, and that's now a $100k truck. Previously $75k)

"I was considering a..." [Platinum, Lariat, XLT] "but I don't think I need anything more than this"

"THIS is the base model?!?!"

The value for the Pro is underestimated, even with the recent price increases.
Sponsored

Bradleyp

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Acura Tlx, Tundra, Harleys, Ducati ss
Occupation
Cyber security
I feel like I'm uniquely situated to respond to this one, it's as if you're calling to me. I sold my Audi Q5 a year ago. I also own a Model S and a Model X - a more premium vehicle than the Model Y you're looking at. Oh I also managed to buy a F-150L Pro, the "base" model and I can say your'e underestimating it.

What do I think? I think it's worth $60k. At that sticker, the F-150L Pro is worth it until they start removing things from it.

Are certain features not available because they're reserved for higher trims? Yes. But this is by no means a stripped out vehicle. I think a lot of folks are just used to the stripped out ICE versions of pickups. These were no option, no frills, bought, and beat until they're rusted and junked. The F-150L Pro is not one of these and comes with a lot more creature comforts than any base model pickup typically does - or heck even the next level up.

I've lent out my truck to a number of folks on Turo, to some publications, as well as personally and everyone comes back saying type of things:

"I think I like it better than the Rivian..." (I agree, and that's now a $100k truck. Previously $75k)

"I was considering a..." [Platinum, Lariat, XLT] "but I don't think I need anything more than this"

"THIS is the base model?!?!"

The value for the Pro is underestimated, even with the recent price increases.
I am still keeping my $100 reservation for now. I reserved in Dec. so when will I expect my order to come through? I’m thinking it my be a very long time from now (2024?) I drive 40k miles a year and need something asap that will save me 4K in gas a year. I already have a Y model that the wife drive but she won’t give it up because I drive too much. Will a Lightning be able to handle it? I wouldn’t mind being a test consultant if I could get my hands on one soon. Will the Pro model be available to the average consumer and how many can justify spending 60k+ on a base model let alone 95k for a pickup truck

I say pick up the pace Ford and deliver your product as advertised before you lose to other manufacturers who are also coming out with new ev’s.

rxn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Prius
I say pick up the pace Ford and deliver your product as advertised before you lose to other manufacturers who are also coming out with new ev’s.
What makes you think other manufacturers aren't going to look at Ford handled this and use it as a template to get as much profit as possible? This process has dropped my cynicism to a new low. There will not be a "$40k" EV truck in the next decade. Inflation, supply limitations, materials cost increases, and the infinite well of demand will ensure that everyone will pay whatever these automakers ask for, which is why almost all new EVs announced are luxury models. Will the luxury $60k+ market dry up eventually? That's all I can hope for, that and getting a "trickle down" used Lightning when all the other new models launch, hopefully with good enough features to make the Lightning look boring again.

Sponsored

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Jack up the price while still removing features. Bold strategy cotton.

My PRO has appreciated $16K since I ordered it. This is a joke.

ChrisInJAX

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Escape
Uggggh... gotta pay for that third shift somehow. Surprised but not surprised it hasn't hi the EV blogs

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I gotta make sure my insurance is going to pay me like $16k more than I paid to replace my truck if something happens to it! Not that I could actually get another Pro, but still!

ChrisInJAX

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Escape
I get inflation / supply chain but Ford has increased the original $39,999 price for the Pro by ~+40% since launch. Crazy!

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass

I should have ordered more of them, it's better than the stock market.

If it makes anyone feel better (it won't) this time last year we were all talking about whether the tax credit was expiring. If you were a later order and planned for it to expire then it's only a $8,475 increase, making it only a 21% increase.

Did that help? Didn't think so...

Sponsored

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
I should have ordered more of them, it's better than the stock market.

If it makes anyone feel better (it won't) this time last year we were all talking about whether the tax credit was expiring. If you were a later order and planned for it to expire then it's only a $8,475 increase, making it only a 21% increase.

Did that help? Didn't think so...
The golden goose MY22 PRO would've been $45,919 with Pro Power + Max Tow with dest/delivery, -$9,750 for my state + federal tax credits. That same truck is now over $60K. Ford shot obviously themselves in the foot with the price point, which was immensely dumb when you're the first to market and have free reign. But in the end they got all the marketing exposure they wanted from touting the $39,974 barrier of entry. The sad thing is they'll still recoup lost profits for all the cancelled orders with how many government/general fleet orders are starting to pile on at the new price points. Pretty sure AAA just bought a bunch here in New England.

Have to feel bad for all the day one reservation holders Ford has dragged along the way.

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
I gotta make sure my insurance is going to pay me like $16k more than I paid to replace my truck if something happens to it! Not that I could actually get another Pro, but still!
When I called around for quotes Travelers told me they'd pay 20% over MSRP for a replacement if the same or newer model year truck wasn't available. That looks pretty good right about now.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’ll say it again, Ford is not going to kill their Bread and Butter XL ICE F-150. Then you have to factor all these businesses wanting an ER Pro. There is not enough for the regular consumer.

After watching the Rogue Factory video I can see why Ford packages everything but it would be nice if everything was broken down. 12” vs 15”, pleather vs cloth. BC vs No BC etc.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
The golden goose MY22 PRO would've been $45,919 with Pro Power + Max Tow with dest/delivery, -$9,750 for my state + federal tax credits. That same truck is now over $60K. Ford shot obviously themselves in the foot with the price point, which was immensely dumb when you're the first to market and have free reign. But in the end they got all the marketing exposure they wanted from touting the $39,974 barrier of entry. The sad thing is they'll still recoup lost profits for all the cancelled orders with how many government/general fleet orders are starting to pile on at the new price points. Pretty sure AAA just bought a bunch here in New England.

Have to feel bad for all the day one reservation holders Ford has dragged along the way.
My state is even more, the truck was $32,164 out the door, after all taxes, incentives, credits, rebates, etc. I just priced it out on Ford's site and that same truck would now be $53,069 out the door after all incentives, credits, rebates etc. as the higher price knocks it out of the bracket for some of them. Meaning it would be $20,905 more for me or a whopping 65% more expensive.

I stand by my earlier comment that I think the truck is worth it, but I will also admit that now it's over $60,000...if I was ordering now I probably wouldn't have bought one.

surferjoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro

Way more than that. Pros on the lot or used are being listed on the $70000s.
Sponsored