FCSP Update Pending, Connection Lost

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I'm five phone calls into this now. First call, Ford gave up immediately and directed me to Siemens, who was closed. I call Siemens the next day. After a painful five minutes of phoenetically spelling out my name and contact information, they ultimately refused to help and said Ford must help you.

The audio-only prompts and no extensions are terrible on the Ford number. Call #3 got me to the marketing department who told me I needed the "BEV station" department; she attempted to transfer me then disconnected me with a survey. Call #4 got me to the "software updates team" who put me on a "3 minute hold to research this." and again disconnected me ending in a survey.

Call #5, I asked the terrible automated audio prompt for the "BEV station," which it did not understand. I have no idea what department this landed in. She was apologetic and transferred me to "Battery Electric Vehicle Customer Service." I first ask for the extension, and she said she can't give me that and I must follow the voice prompts. This new department asked me if I'd tried cycling the circuit breaker, which I replied "many times." She told me the charge station will only update software from 2a-6a...she then requested I cycle the circuit breaker again with her without a clear end-game on why. She said she has to research what is going wrong, and at least texted me a case # with her extension number and email. She said she'll reach back out.

This is horrendously bad, Ford.
Sponsored

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
Ford shipped a new charge station pro. It's been swapped and installed. The station did broadcast its SSID, so that's already better than the first one. Sadly, it shipped with the same 2.112.64 software with the temperature threshold bug I've been experiencing. That's disappointing they didn't update it for me first given the charge station's modem problems.

Oddly, the 5 GHz signal was stronger than the longer range 2.4 GHz from the same router, full bars vs. one less bar. It's only 15 feet from the wireless router. The new charge station loses connection when I park the truck next to it. The truck is not blocking the wifi line of sight. So, it's an unfortunate multipath susceptibility in the charge station pro radio architecture. There's all that real-estate inside that box: they couldn't have used multiple antennas to mitigate multipath, particularly when it's going to be right next to big a metallic truck? Putting a critical dependency on wifi for software, yet having such a suspectible and antiquated antenna system is a naive architecture choice. I guess that's a combination of cost cutting, Siemens poor radio architecture design, parts selection, and Ford not giving them sufficient requirements.

Ford has better antenna engineers in-house. They could have done better if they designed the charge station pro themself than outsourcing it. I'd be happy to help them design a better product.

Now let's see how long it takes to update its software. I guess I'll have to park outside to find out.

At least I got to pay an extra $9k to experience this!

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
The second charge station disconnected itself multiple times in the first day. It's not clear if that's a radio/modem deficiency or if it was doing updates we don't have visibility into.

The second charge station updated its software the second day after it was installed. It was not updated at 9a Mountain, but but 7p Mountain it was updated that day (this timeline does not match what Ford customer service told me it would update). It's now at version 2.112.77. I'll have to try charging during the heat tomorrow to see if it no longer triggers an overheat reset.

When checking on it remotely, clicking on "Charge Station" in FordPass on Monday, FordPass reported "Page cannot be found" for several hours on Monday. I guess the Ford servers also went down this week?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
When checking on it remotely, clicking on "Charge Station" in FordPass on Monday, FordPass reported "Page cannot be found" for several hours on Monday. I guess the Ford servers also went down this week?
Yes they did, forgot which day but in the last 7 for sure

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
I have this same issue. I've been stuck at a pending update for 6 months or more. Flipping breaker reconnects the FCSP for a few hours, but then it goes back into Connection Lost and pending update never chages. I'm stuck at 2.112.77:0 (and a bunch more zeros).

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I have this same issue. I've been stuck at a pending update for 6 months or more. Flipping breaker reconnects the FCSP for a few hours, but then it goes back into Connection Lost and pending update never changes. I'm stuck at 2.112.77:0 (and a bunch more zeros).
If your charging requirements can accommodate, try leaving the truck unplugged overnight for a couple evenings, the update might post.

OP
OP

vvgogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F-150 Lightning ER
I have this same issue. I've been stuck at a pending update for 6 months or more. Flipping breaker reconnects the FCSP for a few hours, but then it goes back into Connection Lost and pending update never chages. I'm stuck at 2.112.77:0 (and a bunch more zeros).
Your problem is a little different than mine if you're getting a Ford server connection for a period after a circuit breaker reset. You are on a newer version than they ship from the factory, so you've gotten at least one update. Hopefully the temperature threshold is fixed in the version you have. You can definitely call Ford as it's persisted for so long. They'll make you do the debugging circuit breaker reset step with them over the phone. If they can't remedy it remotely, they'll send you a new charge station for free with a pre-paid shipping label the return the other.

Does the parked vehicle block the line of sight to your router? Such a blockage can cause intermittent connectivity issues.

I decided not to charge with the replacement charge station until it updated. The update happened a little over 24h. I was monitoring the connection status, and it disconnected itself from the Ford server several times in the first few hours after install. It may have been updating lower level firmware during this time that we don't have visibility into with the software version reported in the app. Maybe it's trying to do that for you as well, but failing.

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
Hopefully the temperature threshold is fixed in the version you have.
I'm derating to 40A because it's what I'm wired for and fits my needs, so I haven't had any overheating issues thankfully. Since charging has been reliable and the Fordpass data so terrible, continuing with the lost connection hasn't bothered me enough to troubleshoot. My wifi extender does get poor reception in its current location, so I might mess around with that first. If it becomes more than an infrequent annoyance, I might call Ford. Thanks for the info!

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I was monitoring the connection status, and it disconnected itself from the Ford server several times in the first few hours after install.
How do you monitor the connection to the Ford servers? Mines been stuck at "Update pending" for about a week now. I've done the breaker reset many times. I don't seem to have an issue with the FCSP staying connected to my wifi. Each time I check, it is connected without issue, strong signal to the FCSP.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I'm joining the happy throng. Mine's been showing connection lost for the last few days since sometime after I had an FCSP relay flipping problem. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...tion-pro-fault-yellow-light.11157/post-329959

I haven't seen anything on any app page about "update pending." The Charge Station Pro app says it can't find any FCSPs when I'm standing right next to mine. The FCSP SSID doesn't show in my iPhone Wi-Fi settings. And the most ironic thing, since I have the HIS "Intelligent" Backup system, is my FCSP LED light just turns from Blue to Green if I throw the Rapid Disconnect breakers for the FCSP and the HIS system. My conclusion is that the Dark Start battery in the HIS system is still providing power to my FCSP even when it has no grid power (as it should), and I haven't learned how to turn off Dark Start battery power yet (if that's possible). I've reported my problems to Sunrun and am awaiting their advice.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'm joining the happy throng. Mine's been showing connection lost for the last few days since sometime after I had an FCSP relay flipping problem. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...tion-pro-fault-yellow-light.11157/post-329959

I haven't seen anything on any app page about "update pending." The Charge Station Pro app says it can't find any FCSPs when I'm standing right next to mine.
Have your phone WiFi on, and connected to your home network, and be in range of the home wifi router, it's what bridges your phone apps to the FCSP, then retry finding and connecting to the FCSP

The FCSP SSID doesn't show in my iPhone Wi-Fi settings.
The FCSO SSID goes into invisible mode after initial setup, always has always will to minimize confusion, only the FCSP SET UP app can see it, unless there is a malfunction of the FCSP.

And the most ironic thing, since I have the HIS "Intelligent" Backup system, is my FCSP LED light just turns from Blue to Green if I throw the Rapid Disconnect breakers for the FCSP and the HIS system.
I'm not a HIS expert..... no help I know

My conclusion is that the Dark Start battery in the HIS system is still providing power to my FCSP even when it has no grid power (as it should), and I haven't learned how to turn off Dark Start battery power yet (if that's possible). I've reported my problems to Sunrun and am awaiting their advice.
Other HIS experts have mentioned a way to trick the FCSP into thinking it should shutdown vs go into emergency backup mode.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
@TaxmanHog Thanks for all the help. I just wish FMC was half as helpful and half as prompt in providing troubleshooting info for all the issues that pop up as this forum is. I've visited the Sunrun Field Website for FCSP and HIS installations, which does attempt to provide troubleshooting information but certainly not in enough depth or completeness to address everything that's been cropping up. Since everything's under warranty, perhaps one is supposed to call for professional help but it doesn't sound like that's readily available or shows up very fast in most states.

If I do launch the ChargeStationPro app, either through FordPass or directly, it fails to detect my FCSP and says something about "check the wallbox." Occasionally, I've seen a secure new SSID with a very strong signal. I fed it my old FCSP password, and it appeared I connected in my iPhone Wi-Fi setting settings. The connection then disappeared, but nothing happened in the CSP Pro app after that. I probably need to search and read a lot more than I have been doing...

Last edited:

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Other HIS experts have mentioned a way to trick the FCSP into thinking it should shutdown vs go into emergency backup mode.
I found a tip from @hifixenthusiast in another thread that allowed me to shutdown the Dark Start battery via the M Professional app. On the Menu screen under Additional Feature, there is the DS Battery. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...backup-power-without-sunrun.12564/post-310929

I first found when I connected to my inverter in the HIS system that I'd suffered Error(2), and I had to go to Change Machine under Additional Feature to disable EMS. Once I did that, the Shutdown button dialog under the DS Battery menu item coached me to shut off power to my FCSP and the inverter. I shut off all the breakers I could find related to the FCSP, the inverter, and the Accrel meter. Then I could shut down the Dark Start battery, and the green LED on the FCSP went out.

I waited >35 min to reboot everything. I followed this recommended order in rebooting.
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...1pX9Pk-VA/present?slide=id.g25ea6a4ed87_0_442

After rebooting when I launched the CSP app, it found my FCSP (which it hadn't before), connected to the FCSP SSID automatically, and automatically prompted me to pick the extender Wi-Fi network my FCSP was previously connected to (it required me to enter my network password again). However, when I initially launched the FordPass app, it still said CONNECTION LOST. Sometime later, I discovered my phone's Wi-Fi was still connected to the FCSP SSID. After connecting to the extender network, no luck. FordPass still said the FCSP had lost connection. Over an hour later, though, when I checked FordPass again, the app announced READY TO CHARGE. No CONNECTION LOST message anymore. The M Pro app showed no errors (Operation: Normal).

The Dark Start battery automatically came on again when I rebooted everything. In the M Pro app, when I looked under Commissioning and Setup, Software update, I didn't see any obvious announcement of updates, but down where there is the PLAY button â–¶, if I looked at the dropdown, there were two files available. I presumed that these were just the latest files already installed, and the PLAY option was simply to overwrite the existing functional copies and reinstall that firmware.

I tried cutting off all power to my truck 2x, waiting >10 minutes each time for the backup system to come on and waiting >5 min between tries with the power on. The HIS backup system didn't come for either try. Now that CONNECTION LOST is gone and I'll try cutting all power again and update the post to see if "Intelligent" Backup works when the status is Ready to Charge... for the FCSP in the FordPass app.

Even after the FordPass app shows FCSP "Ready to Charge," Intelligent Backup won't kick in with the grid power out for >10 min.

Last edited:

hifixenthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER, Polestar 2, e-tron & Bolt
I found a tip from @hifixenthusiast in another thread that allowed me to shutdown the Dark Start battery via the M Professional app. On the Menu screen under Additional Feature, there is the DS Battery. https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...backup-power-without-sunrun.12564/post-310929

I first found when I connected to my inverter in the HIS system that I'd suffered Error(2), and I had to go to Change Machine under Additional Feature to disable EMS. Once I did that, the Shutdown button dialog under the DS Battery menu item coached me to shut off power to my FCSP and the inverter. I shut off all the breakers I could find related to the FCSP, the inverter, and the Accrel meter. Then I could shut down the Dark Start battery, and the green LED on the FCSP went out.

I waited >35 min to reboot everything. I followed this recommended order in rebooting.
https://docs.google.com/presentatio...1pX9Pk-VA/present?slide=id.g25ea6a4ed87_0_442

After rebooting when I launched the CSP app, it found my FCSP (which it hadn't before), connected to the FCSP SSID automatically, and automatically prompted me to pick the extender Wi-Fi network my FCSP was previously connected to (it required me to enter my network password again). However, when I initially launched the FordPass app, it still said CONNECTION LOST. Sometime later, I discovered my phone's Wi-Fi was still connected to the FCSP SSID. After connecting to the extender network, no luck. FordPass still said the FCSP had lost connection. Over an hour later, though, when I checked FordPass again, the app announced READY TO CHARGE. No CONNECTION LOST message anymore. The M Pro app showed no errors (Operation: Normal).

The Dark Start battery automatically came on again when I rebooted everything. In the M Pro app, when I looked under Commissioning and Setup, Software update, I didn't see any obvious announcement of updates, but down where there is the PLAY button â–¶, if I looked at the dropdown, there were two files available. I presumed that these were just the latest files already installed, and the PLAY option was simply to overwrite the existing functional copies and reinstall that firmware.

I tried cutting off all power to my truck 2x, waiting >10 minutes each time for the backup system to come on and waiting >5 min between tries with the power on. The HIS backup system didn't come for either try. Now that CONNECTION LOST is gone and I'll try cutting all power again and update the post to see if "Intelligent" Backup works when the status is Ready to Charge... for the FCSP in the FordPass app.

Even after the FordPass app shows FCSP "Ready to Charge," Intelligent Backup won't kick in with the grid power out for >10 min.
After I was able to get the system working the first time, I found out that the FCSP had a faulty Wifi module. I was able to isolate the problem utilizing my access point management software and determine that it wasn’t staying connected to my WiFi. By this point, I had installed a dedicated access point in my garage with a dedicated SSID set to 2.4ghz and configured all of my APs to only allow the FCSP to connect to the one in the garage (for thoroughness). I utilize Ubiquity access points and network equipment. Ford warrantied the FCSP within a couple days of bringing this to their attention and reimbursed me for the installation cost of the replacement charger. The new charger stays connected.

It has taken about another 8 weeks and a lot of phone calls, but my system has randomly been re-registered with the new charger. I had to go through the reconfiguration process, which is still inconsistent.

Something to note when enabling Intelligent Backup power in the truck and pairing it with the FCSP, is ensure Apple CarPlay is disabled. Apple CarPlay utilizes WiFi and it will disrupt the pairing process.

Also the FCSP relies on Bluetooth communications, which has been stated in this forum and I personally have confirmed this with the AEEsolar master trainer and electrician. The Bluetooth antenna is located behind the rear passenger side seat. This distance from the antenna to the FCSP and what’s in between matters. This is the current “excuse” for system instability.

I hope this information is helpful.