First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Please STOP spamming the above message ..... folks experiencing this problem are ALREADY reading every related thread
Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Please STOP spamming the above message ..... folks experiencing this problem are ALREADY reading every related thread
My sincere apologies. Please feel free to delete the posts on other threads. I was doubtful that persons were reading all threads and had no intention of spamming.

Shorevet

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, GT500, Ranger, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
I sense the issues (HVB reliability and lack of spares in the supply chain) with these failures and the impact to the customer is going to catch up with Ford sooner than later.

Phineas Magliozzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT, optionless.
Curious if folks having problems with HVB are doing a lot of DCFC or mostly Level 2? Wish Ford would have a diagnostics screen with OBD info and number of charges, etc. Let me know mileage or other pertinent details in your replies, so I can add to tracking of these problems in the spreadsheet--link in my signature below:
Delivery January 23
11,000 miles
DCFC perhaps 6 or 8 times to no more than 85%
Level 2 Home Charger (Emporia w/ "Surplus Solar" feature, killer!), usually short charges to take advantage of my solar panel power availability. PG&E territory, why give it to them at $0.12 during the day and buy it back at $0.25 at night?

Shorevet

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I sense the issues (HVB reliability and lack of spares in the supply chain) with these failures and the impact to the customer is going to catch up with Ford sooner than later.
Well just got off the phone with the service manager. It’s the HVB. Says no idea when parts will be available, it’s controlled by Ford. So I’m in the process of moving to SC in September and my Ranger is in VA for transmission issue and Lighting in NJ with HVB issue. Come on Ford, what can you do. Maybe loan me an F150 (ICE please) and you can have it back when you deliver my Lightning to SC someday.

Sponsored

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I visited the service department at my dealership yesterday. My truck is still parked in the lot at 25 days and counting for battery module replacement. Hopefully, it will make it into the shop next week.

A Lightning ahead of mine had "calibration" issues after the new battery module installation. The EV Tech had to work with Ford Engineers for a week in back and forth problem-solving after the scheduled one day repair. The dealership has 1 EV tech and 1 battery lift table. So, every other scheduled EV repair got pushed back while the EV Tech was working to get instructions from Ford Engineers. They just finished a Mach E that had been at the dealership since May.

The dealership is absolutely swamped with a huge backlog due to Ford warranty repairs, recalls, incomplete repair instructions, and parts delay. I actually feel sorry for their customer-facing service personnel. They have to deal with irate customers who can't get a dependable completion date, which is often due to issues beyond their control. I am putting the great majority of responsibility on Ford versus my dealership for the delay in getting my truck repaired. Ford ships the vehicles from the factory with defects, and the burden falls on the dealerships to repair them.

Shorevet

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I visited the service department at my dealership yesterday. My truck is still parked in the lot at 25 days and counting for battery module replacement. Hopefully, it will make it into the shop next week.

A Lightning ahead of mine had "calibration" issues after the new battery module installation. The EV Tech had to work with Ford Engineers for a week in back and forth problem-solving after the scheduled one day repair. The dealership has 1 EV tech and 1 battery lift table. So, every other scheduled EV repair got pushed back while the EV Tech was working to get instructions from Ford Engineers. They just finished a Mach E that had been at the dealership since May.

The dealership is absolutely swamped with a huge backlog due to Ford warranty repairs, recalls, incomplete repair instructions, and parts delay. I actually feel sorry for their customer-facing service personnel. They have to deal with irate customers who can't get a dependable completion date, which is often due to issues beyond their control. I am putting the great majority of responsibility on Ford versus my dealership for the delay in getting my truck repaired. Ford ships the vehicles from the factory with defects, and the burden falls on the dealerships to repair them.
Agree. Ford is pushing these Lightning out knowing there are issues and will fix when they fail. Puts the burden on the customer and dealers. I would hope the NHTSA would get involved.

Shorevet

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Defeats the value of an EV if it requires an ICE Flatbed to move around.
Ford F-150 Lightning Stop Driving Immediately: high voltage battery and power train warning IMG_1471

HJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, F150 Lightning, DMG Mach-E GTPE
Got mine back just now. Failed July 18th. Battery arrived Monday. Went into the shop yesterday 11:30 am (error message in the app that it was being moved). So, a little over 5 weeks total. Dealer, I think, did everything they could to do it in a timely manner so can't really complain to them about the delay (am complaining about the door ding while it was sitting there for over a month). But not sure yet if I will ever trust the truck not to die on me again. Unlikely to take it on a road trip (and that is from someone that owns, and takes road trips, with a Mach-E that has the HVB contactor issue that may result in stop now message that could pop up any given day).

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Got mine back just now. Failed July 18th. Battery arrived Monday. Went into the shop yesterday 11:30 am (error message in the app that it was being moved). So, a little over 5 weeks total. Dealer, I think, did everything they could to do it in a timely manner so can't really complain to them about the delay (am complaining about the door ding while it was sitting there for over a month). But not sure yet if I will ever trust the truck not to die on me again. Unlikely to take it on a road trip (and that is from someone that owns, and takes road trips, with a Mach-E that has the HVB contactor issue that may result in stop now message that could pop up any given day).
From the December failure group, you will trust the truck again, and take road trips (I'll do even more when I can charge at Tesla stations). You will be hypersensitive for a bit. I've put more miles on 6 months post repair than I did in the first 6 months. Just to give you hope 😁.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Blaster

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
I agree this is a bummer but this kind of stuff is more likely to happen with first adopters. I figure this is part of getting in on initial pricing, and as much as it sucked it feels like FMC is making the effort. It could be better managed and I hope their learning on their feet.

Shorevet

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Same thing happened to me this morning. At dealer now. Seems to be a common issue and lack of experienced technicians and supply chain making for ridicules wait times for repairs. Last month hit with the $10k depreciation in one month due to price drop and now this. Ford has a lot of quality issues. My wife’s 2021 ranger has been at dealer for two weeks with transmission issues. No estimate on when they can look at it.
Update: HVB module arrived at the Dealer’s service department today. They hope to have it installed by the weekend. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
Blaster

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4
Got a call from a Ford supervisor to chat about the recent repair, they explained this was supposed to be better managed and had planned on scheduling module replacements but "somehow the OTA update triggered the power train fault" and they got bombarded with module replacements all at once, leading to delayed parts.

Good luck to those still waiting on modules, truck has been great since I've got it back, recent OTA went through seamlessly and L2 charging speed has been on par with pre-module work.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
Got a call from a Ford supervisor to chat about the recent repair, they explained this was supposed to be better managed and had planned on scheduling module replacements but "somehow the OTA update triggered the power train fault" and they got bombarded with module replacements all at once, leading to delayed parts.

Good luck to those still waiting on modules, truck has been great since I've got it back, recent OTA went through seamlessly and L2 charging speed has been on par with pre-module work.
So the OTA did this?

So then was it an DTC requiring an actual replacement part or was it a DTC caused by network disruption? I realize you may not know the answer. But i'm making the distinction because I've done many updates with FDRS that gave me the SSN and "eject, eject, eject" alerts and it was caused by a network communication issue that was resolved by running a self-test (including on-demand) in FDRS to clear the DTCs.

Well, in any event, I hope they got you sorted and back to enjoying your ride.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

Which update triggered the power train fault?

Which update is your latest?

My truck moved into the shop today, after 30 days parked outside, for a battery module replacement. I have asked the dealership to install the 23-PU0327-DSP-AMP update since I could not get it to download and install.

Thanks.
Sponsored