First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 XLT
Occupation
Doc
I am planning to purchase a XLT out of state (online) and have it shipped to my residence. I would be saving close to $5k with fees and shipping included as compared to getting one from my local dealer. With that being said, is there anything else I should be aware of? For example: Losing out on tax credit, getting a lemon, or not being there in person at closing? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I am planning to purchase a XLT out of state (online) and have it shipped to my residence. I would be saving close to $5k with tax and shipping included as compared to getting one from my local dealer. With that being said, is there anything else I should be aware of? For example: Losing out on tax credit, getting a lemon, or not being there in person at closing? Thanks in advance!
You are not well informed as to the "savings".

First, you will be required to pay tax on the vehicle in YOUR state, no matter where you buy it. Whether the dealer in the other state charges the tax, or not, when you title and register in your state you will have to pay the sales tax. I know of no state that says you don't have to. So that's no savings.

Tax credit doesn't care where you bought it, unless you have STATE credits or rebates. I know some states (Massachusetts?) require purchase in state for their credit (or was it NJ?).

I would never buy a vehicle sight unseen. I flew from Michigan to St. Louis, dealer picked me up and drove 90 minutes to dealership, did paperwork and drove it home. Sure, people buy without seeing it, but not me.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Tax credit doesn't care where you bought it, unless you have STATE credits or rebates. I know some states (Massachusetts?) require purchase in state for their credit (or was it NJ?).
Yes, Massachusetts MOR-EV-TRUCK credit does require acquisition from a Mass Licensed dealership, (FYI for any Mass residents watching this thread from the side lines) acknowledging the OP is from the "South East" please investigate any restrictions that apply to state EV incentives where you are located.

I'll also second the issue regarding sales taxes as Rick outlined, generally you pay where you live, many adjacent states have reciprocal collection agreements.

IE. when I bought my last Harley at a RI HD dealer, they included the net sales taxes due after trade in credits at the MASS sales tax rate and provided a certificate/voucher confirming the numbers which all reconciled to the settlement statement & sales agreement, the dealer EFT's the sales taxes to MASS.

Years ago, I bought a Harley from a Manchester NH HD dealer, in that sales agreement (circa 2007) they did NOT withhold or itemize the sales tax, (NH does not have sales taxes) so the dealer had no impetus to charging or account for anything on my or the various states concern, obviously, when I brought my paperwork to the Mass RMV, they collected the sales tax at the plates window as they processed the RMV-1 document.

Many states have reciprocal agreements, some do not, the buyer is responsible for what is due in the end.

Old Aviator

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Platinum 06 Magnum SRT8 23 Ocean One
Occupation
Consultant
I bought a Demo from a Mass dealer with 800 miles on it. Yes sight unseen except for a load of pictures and the fact it was covered by full new vehicle Ford warranty. Shipping was $2000 and that was the only part of the transaction that was a problem because transport/shipping company promised delivery day certain but handed it off to driver and truck who said "i don't care what they promised you I have 5 deliveries ahead of yours and I call you next week when I get to Florida".

And yes all the paperwork had to be filed and taxes paid "in" Florida with a new Title. But I saved $15k when compared to the new one I ordered and I have a Platinum with NO deletes. Every feature is up and operable!!

So if buying from a Ford Dealer I would be fine. If buying from an individual I would get on a plane or in my car put my eyeballs and hands on anything that expensive before I purchased it.

Purchases made online are not taxable is the state shipped from they are payable in the state where delivery takes place. So if a dealer told you taxes are included and he is selling out of state he doesn't pay tax in his state and if he puts them on the invoice he's just putting than money in his pocket and YOU will have to pay sales tax when you register it in your state on top of what may or may not have been paid by the dealer.

Last edited:

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I am planning to purchase a XLT out of state (online) and have it shipped to my residence. I would be saving close to $5k with tax and shipping included as compared to getting one from my local dealer. With that being said, is there anything else I should be aware of? For example: Losing out on tax credit, getting a lemon, or not being there in person at closing? Thanks in advance!
Where in the SE are you located?

I find it hard to believe that buying a XLT out of state and having it shipped would save $5000.

I've bought 66 cars since 1970 and a few were bought out of State. Those were rare cars that I couldn't make a deal locally. A new Ford Lightning that qualifies for a tax credit is a commodity right now. They are all over the place and deals can be made within 100 miles from home easily with a little effort. i bought my 2023 Lightning Lariat about 100 miles from home (Florida) with a $2,500 dealer discount, $7,500 rebate, $7,500 tax credit $750 Private Cash offer, and $339 ford pass points from previous truck purchase.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
I have bought boats, tractors, cars, and trucks from dealers in nearby states. In a couple of cases, I had them shipped. Other cases, I have driven/towed them back myself.
Mostly it was about availability of a new model, or a demo, or a leftover previous-year's model, or the right configuration of used machine that made the deal worth the shipping/hassle/risks.
In only one case was it a private party sale. That was the only one that felt risky.
Pretty good experience on all of the purchases. Key is to make sure the deal is "done" on paper to the last dollar before making remote shipping or in-person pickup arrangements.

John Deer Tractor, Used - Dealer, IN (drove down, towed back)
Chevy Corvette, new - Dealer, OH (flew down, drove back)
Audi TT, used - Dealer in CA (shipped by dealer to another dealer)
Ford F150 Lightning, Demo/new - Dealer in IN (flew down, drove back)
SeaDoo PWCs (2), new, leftover previous year's model - 2 different dealers in WI (sent wife and daughter with trailer on a tour of WI to tow back).
Bennington Pontoon, new/demo - Dealer in MI. (dealer arranged shipment/delivery).
Yamaha SuperJet PWC, used - Dealer in AL (shipped motor freight on a skid)
Nautique Wake Boat, used - Private Party in TN (hired a trusted driver with check to close deal and tow back).

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
I have purchased a couple of rare lightly used Lexus SC430's long distance. One from a Chicago Lexus dealer and one from well know Atlanta specialty used car dealer. I had both shipped to me in FLorida and I paid sales tax when I registered them in Florida.

I also bought and sold a few airplanes long distance. I used an escrow service to do the title search, title transfer and FAA registration. The escrow service handled and verified the money transfer before Flying away with the plane. I always paid Florida Sales tax on cars / trucks / an planes purchased in or out of state.

Right now I have 3 - 2024 Ford F-450's on order, all ordered at below invoice. I will likely have the one 1000+ miles from home trucked to Florida if it ever comes in.

Last edited:

Scott Libre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Space Lazer Repair Technician
I just abandoned a delivered XLT order after finding a deal on a Lariat. The truck is in Florida. The dealer has it listed under MSRP.

Curious, how much for delivery? How far?

Aaron H

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum, 1949 Ford F1
Occupation
Industrial Machinery Designer/Manufacturer
I have bought most of my cars in the past 10 years from out of state, sight unseen. I have a few rules I adhere too though. 1. Lots of pics. 2. Full manufactures warranty or certified used warranty.
3. Buy from dealers only. 4. Clean Carfax.

There are a few things I have learned doing this. The shipper will figure out a way to get extra money from you. Shipping agent will low ball you. He will ask you to sign an agreement and ask for a non refundable deposit. Then you will wait a few days. He may call you and say that he can't find a transport for the price he quoted. He will say that he can but he doesnt know when. However he has a transport ready to go now but he wants more money.
I have been through this scenario every time with every car. I have tried different solutions like trying to get another transport. Unfortunately, they all have access to the same transport search system. I even flew to Colorado and picked the car up and drove it home myself, but my bank would not back me and I lost my deposit. The only solution is to get the absolute lowest price possible and expect to get screwed for another $100 to $200 later.

I just purchased a Lightning Platinum from Texas. Sight unseen. Paid 74K. Was quoted $600 for shipping. Had to pay $700. Im ok with it. I knew the game. With the difference in taxes paid on purchase price, I saved 20K.

I bought a Tacoma according to my rules. Was quoted 800 for shipping. Paid 900. When I got it, it had a cracked speedometer lense.
Not a problem. dealer fixed it for free. Saved 5k

I bought a BMW I3s. Same rules. same screwing in shipping. Saved 15k

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have bought most of my cars in the past 10 years from out of state, sight unseen. I have a few rules I adhere too though. 1. Lots of pics. 2. Full manufactures warranty or certified used warranty.
3. Buy from dealers only. 4. Clean Carfax.

There are a few things I have learned doing this. The shipper will figure out a way to get extra money from you. Shipping agent will low ball you. He will ask you to sign an agreement and ask for a non refundable deposit. Then you will wait a few days. He may call you and say that he can't find a transport for the price he quoted. He will say that he can but he doesnt know when. However he has a transport ready to go now but he wants more money.
I have been through this scenario every time with every car. I have tried different solutions like trying to get another transport. Unfortunately, they all have access to the same transport search system. I even flew to Colorado and picked the car up and drove it home myself, but my bank would not back me and I lost my deposit. The only solution is to get the absolute lowest price possible and expect to get screwed for another $100 to $200 later.

I just purchased a Lightning Platinum from Texas. Sight unseen. Paid 74K. Was quoted $600 for shipping. Had to pay $700. Im ok with it. I knew the game. With the difference in taxes paid on purchase price, I saved 20K.

I bought a Tacoma according to my rules. Was quoted 800 for shipping. Paid 900. When I got it, it had a cracked speedometer lense.
Not a problem. dealer fixed it for free. Saved 5k

I bought a BMW I3s. Same rules. same screwing in shipping. Saved 15k
$20k in taxes on $74k? And how do you "save", when you have to title and register it in CA?

Sponsored

Aaron H

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
$20k in taxes on $74k? And how do you "save", when you have to title and register it in CA?
the Diffence between the taxes on a 74k purchase and a 93k purchase plus the savings of purchasing a 93k truck for 74k comes to roughy 20k. Title and registration is irrelevan. It is the same for a California resident no matter where you purchase it or who you purchase it from.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the Diffence between the taxes on a 74k purchase and a 93k purchase plus the savings of purchasing a 93k truck for 74k comes to roughy 20k. Title and registration is irrelevan. It is the same for a California resident no matter where you purchase it or who you purchase it from.
Ah. So you bought the truck CHEAPER out of state, then paid the same tax RATE on a lower price. Got it.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I purchased my wife's new '22 KIA SORENTO PHEV sight-unseen from the KIA Dealer 7 states away in OHIO - I'm from Georgia.... 750+ miles away. We did all the paperwork and 'closing' via email/fax/text/phone/online eSigs, etc. Some dealers are more up-to-date on how to easily handle this, many are not.
I knew I was buying a brand new KIA from a Kia Dealer's lot - I had to reason to 'worry' or be concerned.
I arrived. Looked over the car. Test drove the car. Signed a form saying that I had 'picked it up'... and, away I went.

That story is a little misleading, though, as the real 'effort' was more on the travel to get there to 'get' the new car.

I rented a 'gas' car from my local 'one-way' capable car rental company, which are few and far in-between - it was 70 miles away. I left my own vehicle there, and drove the rental car the 750 miles to the KIA dealer. Fortunately, the 'drop-off' parking lot for the rental car was only a few blocks from the dealer. Nice.
I had the dealer salesman pick me up at the drop-off and take me to my 'new car'.
I spent the night at a local hotel, reading up on all the NEW technology in these new vehicles that I had not been exposed to for many, many years.
I drove the NEW Kia home over the long next day, though I split my long drive by staying overnight with my college-bound son at his off-campus RV in far North Georgia.

I drove the new KIA the rest of the way home the next day.
But, I still had my 'old' vehicle still parked at the car rental agency, so the wife got her first drive in the NEW Kia over those 70 miles to pick it up...

Shipping a vehicle certainly may have it's logistic positives over the good-old 'self driving' scenario when this many miles and days are involved, but I really enjoyed the self-driving technology and comfort of air-conditioned seats while getting that beauty back home : )

Aaron H

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I bought a Demo from a Mass dealer with 800 miles on it. Yes sight unseen except for a load of pictures and the fact it was covered by full new vehicle Ford warranty. Shipping was $2000 and that was the only part of the transaction that was a problem because transport/shipping company promised delivery day certain but handed it off to driver and truck who said "i don't care what they promised you I have 5 deliveries ahead of yours and I call you next week when I get to Florida".

And yes all the paperwork had to be filed and taxes paid "in" Florida with a new Title. But I saved $15k when compared to the new one I ordered and I have a Platinum with NO deletes. Every feature is up and operable!!

So if buying from a Ford Dealer I would be fine. If buying from an individual I would get on a plane or in my car put my eyeballs and hands on anything that expensive before I purchased it.

Purchases made online are not taxable is the state shipped from they are payable in the state where delivery takes place. So if a dealer told you taxes are included and he is selling out of state he doesn't pay tax in his state and if he puts them on the invoice he's just putting than money in his pocket and YOU will have to pay sales tax when you register it in your state on top of what may or may not have been paid by the dealer.
Residing In California, I have purchased out of state from dealers collecting the sales tax and registration fees. The dealer forwards the taxes and fees paid and the title to a DMV office of your choice.
You then go to that DMV office and identify yourself and they continue on with the process there. For an ICE or a hybrid, they will want the car smogged even if it’s new. They will also do a vin# verification.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
My dealer in OHIO included my Georgia TAVT Fee within the agreement, although they PRINTED me a check for that same amount to take with me to my TAG OFFICE when I registered the new KIA the next week.

Some dealers will be able to provide a direct payment to your state's TAX AUTHORITY, but some will not, or will choose to do it another way....

Even if your out-of-state dealer does NOT include or provide the TAX, it will be the responsibility of the new owner to pay that FULLY themselves when they register the new vehicle in their own state.

There is no way to 'get around' any state TAX.
Sponsored