First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
I recently used Tesla’s magic dock on a road trip on I-20 in Louisiana and Mississippi. I had to use the Tesla app but it worked fine.
The only issue was getting close enough for the cable to connect.

IMG_2727.jpeg
Wait I thought these were 10’ cables. I went to a supercharger and measured out that distance and it was plenty long enough. But no way a standard SC cable would reach my truck. No matter how I parked.
Sponsored

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Eight V4 superchargers with magic docks recently installed in Wilsonville OR. Unfortunately the magic docks are not active so the only people that can use them are regular tesla folks. No word on when they will activate. Guess it will be the spring roll out.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT

Txxthie

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 TM3 RWD LFP
While I agree that is what Farley said, to be honest at this point, that is a guaranteed delay to me. I have confidence Tesla can do their part by Spring, but not Ford. At this point just have Tesla make the adapter available and let's use their app. Waiting on Ford to get them in warehouses and dealers AND update their app is not something I see them doing by Spring.

Farley also said we would have transparent no-surprise pricing and online ordering for EV's. Incredibly now the only way to order a '24 Lightning or Mach-E is to visit a dealer. Meanwhile their Build & Price websites are still stuck on 2023.
I think it will launch without P&P initially. The current implementation with magic hat works fine and requires no co-implementation of software. EA & Ford had issues with P&P. Is it even functioning now? The EA app has worked for me and so does the Tesla app (TMY owner). Maybe there are software engineers that could chime in on this topic?

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
They announced Spring 2024... Tesla does not exactly ever meet announced timelines and I'm not sure Ford is much better. Than compound that since they are both involved and have to work together on it.... if I had to place a bet, We are not charging on non-magic docked equipped Superchargers until Q4 2024.

• Haha
Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I wonder if Ford will provide any discounts for this adapter. I don't mind providing the money to have one in our adapter goodie bag, but if I can get it for a discount price it would better.

If you read the timeline, A2Z posted:

A2Z EVSE will produce a different design NACS-CCS1 adapter for an EV automaker.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I think it will launch without P&P initially. The current implementation with magic hat works fine and requires no co-implementation of software. EA & Ford had issues with P&P. Is it even functioning now? The EA app has worked for me and so does the Tesla app (TMY owner). Maybe there are software engineers that could chime in on this topic?
Agree. Let's not delay this thing just so we can have Plug and Charge from the FordPass app. With EA we can use FordPass or the EA app. In fact FordPass still does not allow EA discount pricing. If Tesla comes out with a similar membership plan (maybe they do already?) I doubt Ford can implement it.

So give us a choice of using the Tesla app or FordPass. And also using any qualified adapter. And maybe that's what Farley meant - that you could pull in and charge - but not ruling out that you could also pull up and use the Tesla app.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Magic Dock...

Plug and Charge works fine at EA.

Eight V4 superchargers with magic docks recently installed in Wilsonville OR. Unfortunately the magic docks are not active so the only people that can use them are regular tesla folks. No word on when they will activate. Guess it will be the spring roll out.
MagicDock activation has nothing to do with the Ford rollout. MagicDock is part of Tesla's making 3,500 chargers available by end of 2024.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When they turn on 15,000 chargers, they have to work easily, with integration into FordPass, otherwise this will blowup in Ford's face. The vast majority of EV drivers don't have a clue about charging, they need to pull up, plug in, and that's that.

I am willing to bet that no "it works but supply your own adapter and use the Tesla app" will happen earlier.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The need for an extension cable is going to be an issue. As soon as there is some kind of crabbiness at a Supercharger because a CCS vehicle parked in the way of two stalls, that will be an excuse for the whole program to grind to a halt.

Sponsored

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Plenty of Non-Tesla-enabled Superchargers in Europe.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla Supercharger Ford Compatability Date 1702669722377

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The need for an extension cable is going to be an issue. As soon as there is some kind of crabbiness at a Supercharger because a CCS vehicle parked in the way of two stalls, that will be an excuse for the whole program to grind to a halt.
Which both Ford and Tesla are well aware of (the need).

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Plenty of Non-Tesla-enabled Superchargers in Europe.
1702669722377.png
It was easier there since both Tesla and non-Tesla use the CCS cable. No need for adapters or magic docks, just open up the network. Haven't heard if chaos ensued. :)

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
They announced Spring 2024... Tesla does not exactly ever meet announced timelines and I'm not sure Ford is much better. Than compound that since they are both involved and have to work together on it.... if I had to place a bet, We are not charging on non-magic docked equipped Superchargers until Q4 2024.
Fake news. I have a Tesla 2nd Gen Roadster that can full self drive on rockets through an underground vacuum tube…on Mars.

On a serious note, the SC won’t be delayed in my opinion. They are losing market share rather quickly, the downward price pressure is also chewing into margins. They’re still better than everyone else but not great for their own history.

The SC network will be the easiest and fastest way for them to generate meaningful cash flow. And they know they’re the best, they will be the most expensive not to mention the federal subsidies. Compared to the capital to develop, manufacture and deliver a new car, creating a reverse CCS adapter and outsourcing the manufacturing should be a piece of cake.