Generator to charge truck

GarrettBlake

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Looking for suggestions about vendors and specifications for a generator I can use to charge the truck. The existing generator I have puts the mobile charger in amber mode whether on 220 or 110 circuit even before connecting the vehicle. Ford customer service was of no help. I am assuming that the power from my existing generator is too dirty. It works just fine for powering the house, but the mobile charger does not like it.
Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Needs to be an inverter generator from my understanding.

tom666317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Needs to be an inverter generator from my understanding.
That's correct. Additionally neither the truck, nor the Ford Mobile Charger have a method to reduce power draw. You will need a very large invertor generator, or a mobile charger that can set the power draw. Otherwise, you will keep popping the breaker on generator if you try to use the 220v. Using the 110v on the generator will take forever to charge so it's not worth including in this conversation.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
That's correct. Additionally neither the truck, nor the Ford Mobile Charger have a method to reduce power draw. You will need a very large invertor generator, or a mobile charger that can set the power draw. Otherwise, you will keep popping the breaker on generator if you try to use the 220v. Using the 110v on the generator will take forever to charge so it's not worth including in this conversation.
The FMC would require an 8 KW (common size) generator.

GoHawks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning ER
I have an inverter generator for my house backup that also charges the truck. It will run/charge on propane or gasoline. I also have grizzl-e charger that allows you to manually reduce rate that I use while at campgrounds that works with this set up. Details in the photos.

Ford F-150 Lightning Generator to charge truck IMG_2122
Ford F-150 Lightning Generator to charge truck IMG_2120

Ford F-150 Lightning Generator to charge truck IMG_2113
Ford F-150 Lightning Generator to charge truck IMG_2121
Ford F-150 Lightning Generator to charge truck IMG_2112

Sponsored

F-150Evolved

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
the best I found:

two in parallel Duromax ih9000.

they run on gasoline or propane and I moded them to also run on low pressure natural gas.

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
Looking for suggestions about vendors and specifications for a generator I can use to charge the truck. The existing generator I have puts the mobile charger in amber mode whether on 220 or 110 circuit even before connecting the vehicle. Ford customer service was of no help. I am assuming that the power from my existing generator is too dirty. It works just fine for powering the house, but the mobile charger does not like it.
You also need to make sure you have a neutral bonding adapter hooked up or any EVSE will detect a fault and fail to charge.

F-150Evolved

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
This is one of the few if not the only portable-sized and fully adjustable Level 2 charger.
This one lets you adjust the charge current from 6-40 amps in 1amp increments.

This is important so that you can match the impedance of your generator to an about 75% power load when charging the truck.

Ford F-150 Lightning Generator to charge truck 1704690659617

Sponsored
OP
OP

GarrettBlake

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Thanks for the info, I was actually looking at those two model generators. I also need one that is dual fuel, so this is very helpful. I am curious though, why would you need to adjust the level 2 charger since the generator seems capable of providing full power to it? Does the Ford mobile charger pop the breaker on the Duromax 9000iH? Or are you just trying to tune the load to get to 75%?

F-150Evolved

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
No issue pulling 40 amps running in parallel on gasoline.
Having the ability to de-rate your charge current is great because it gives you flexibility and redundancy. If for example, a generator goes down or you’re pulling power from a 50amp camp ground outlet backed by a 30 am breaker your not dead in the water.

Also, if you’re running the ih9000’s on propane, you might want to derate to 35 amps. This could also happen if it’s too cold and the propane tanks freeze.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
The Ford mobile charger only charges at 30A anyway. Yes it’s equipped with a 14-50 plug that implies it could charge at 40.A, but it does not.
Sponsored