Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
He's saying that the adapter doesn't have AC pins. The only pins active in a CCS charger in the J1772 part of the adapter are communication pins. The AC pins are absent.

To do both, the adapter would have to have a switch built into it that was capable of distinguishing between AC and DC and switching to the right pins otherwise. It would be significantly more complex (and open to doing damage to the vehicle). In fact, the only CCS-style plug I'm aware of that has both is the Ford Charge Station Pro, and its DC pins are designed only to take power out in V2H situations.
Thanks. Got it. It makes me wonder what is happening when I plug in to L2 in my house. When those blue lights on the port do their initiation dance. Is there a switch that is disconnected and looking for communication pins to tell the truck this is a ligit AC 240V 60Hz power and OK to close the switch? If that is the case, truck may be able to protect itself if DC is present on AC pins by keeping the connection open. If that is the case a Ford adapter may be more capable than A2Z. I am just getting into wishful thinking at this point but I got your point.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks. Got it. It makes me wonder what is happening when I plug in to L2 in my house. When those blue lights on the port do their initiation dance. Is there a switch that is disconnected and looking for communication pins to tell the truck this is a ligit AC 240V 60Hz power and OK to close the switch? If that is the case, truck may be able to protect itself if DC is present on AC pins by keeping the connection open. If that is the case a Ford adapter may be more capable than A2Z. I am just getting into wishful thinking at this point but I got your point.
Level 2 AC power flows through the J1772 power pins. The bottom DC pins on the FCSP are only for the house backup.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I pre-ordered the A2Z adapter in December because I expect that it's going to take 6 months to a year to get the Ford adapter. I think that those of us who bought before the announcement it may be on the longer side. They'll prioritize new buyers and people who've bought recently.

If Tesla releases an adapter it will chow up much sooner but for a higher price, probably at least double the A2Z.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Sadly I would not infer anything with my car🤷‍♂️. Tesla if they approve it, would state it, similar to the Apple MFI program.

The lack of saying who approved it is such a red flag to me.

No going to risk damage and voiding my truck’s warranty over a third-party DCFC adaptor.
There's a video of @tommolog using the prototype at a Supercharger and it worked just fine. He put the prototype into a CCS1->NACS adapter and was able to get charge on a model 3.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
OP, are you able to go to a SC nearby and connect it and see if you dont get a red ring? On A2Zs site they show a MachE connected and communicating with the car, basically waiting to initialize the charge.

Sponsored

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
There's a video of @tommolog using the prototype at a Supercharger and it worked just fine. He put the prototype into a CCS1->NACS adapter and was able to get charge on a model 3.
Love Tom, but his video would not hold up with Ford’s lawyers or in a court of law.

Do what you want but not going to risk my truck on something that can’t say who approved it.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Just curious. Will it work with AC chargers as well?
I have a $39 NACS to J1772 adaptor that works great to charge my Lightning with my Tesla AC Charger.
Just curious. Will it work with AC chargers as well?
I’ve got few NACS to J1772 adaptors that I use at my house and cabin to charge my Lightning with my Tesla AC chargers. I also keep one in the Lightning’s fronk in case I need to charge away from home on a Tesla Destination charger.

At the time they only cost me $39 each and they are rated for up to 80 amps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C4FBD4DY/

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
It is approved by Tesla. This adapter situation is no different than the current CCS to NACS situation. I've used myriad adapters with never a problem. But, you do what you re comfortable with.
Do you have something from Tesla to support your misleading claims that Tesla has approved it?

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Love Tom, but his video would not hold up with Ford’s lawyers or in a court of law.

Do what you want but not going to risk my truck on something that can’t say who approved it.
What is the situation where you think lawyers are going to get involved?

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
What is the situation where you think lawyers are going to get involved?
if it breaks my car, causes a fire, voids my warranty, or makes be become a Tesla owner…duhh🤷‍♂️

I am sorry you are willing to risk your truck. I am not so accept it.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
A2Z has publicly stated on its website that it is Tesla approved. Either way it doesn't matter, I'm not new to the EV world. I've had EVs for years and am used to using various adapters and don't have a fear of it setting my car on fire. But, I've also updated every module with FDRS and consider myself an early adopter. So, of course, do what you're comfortable with. For me. I'll be at the Supercharger the day the network opens. I will trying it soon but doubtful it will work till the billing system is in place.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
A2Z has publicly stated on its website that it is Tesla approved.
For a second there I wondered to myself. Is it Tesla APPROVED, Tesla CERTIFIED, or Tesla COMPATIBLE?

Thanks Apple for giving me irreparable anxiety and PTSD.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I would imagine the handshake would be handled by Fords PnC capability, I doubt the handshake occurs in the adapter itself.

All the wires are there and I would think they communicate via CP/PP.

harging-plugs-and-their-standards-v0-03fta55s6ioa1.png

That said, I’m waiting for an official one myself. Not looking to turn myself into fried chicken messing around with 400V+ and 400A+
Where’s the Level 3 plug?? Oh yeah, there’s no such thing.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
It is approved by Tesla. This adapter situation is no different than the current CCS to NACS situation. I've used myriad adapters with never a problem. But, you do what you re comfortable with.
Sounds like the claims of every made in China EVSE being "UL listed"

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I am waiting for my adapter to ship from A2Z which is estimated to be the beginning of February. As OP said, A2Z says it will work on the supercharger network and NDAs disallow OEM disclosure. I dont think Tesla would say “this is our adapter” more like “yea, we will allow you to use this adapter. But here is our official one.” Which for all we know, A2Z’s manufacturer is the same Tesla will use for their “official” adapter.
Kyle from Out of Spec has mentioned he's heard from Tesla employees that they're making the adaptor in house (I believe he said in New York somewhere)
Sponsored