First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Kyle from Out of Spec has mentioned he's heard from Tesla employees that they're making the adaptor in house (I believe he said in New York somewhere)
They have a facility in Buffalo where they make charging equipment.
Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I wonder if it would work at a magic dock on the tesla side with your app starting.

Last edited:

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
A2Z has publicly stated on its website that it is Tesla approved. Either way it doesn't matter, I'm not new to the EV world. I've had EVs for years and am used to using various adapters and don't have a fear of it setting my car on fire. But, I've also updated every module with FDRS and consider myself an early adopter. So, of course, do what you're comfortable with. For me. I'll be at the Supercharger the day the network opens. I will trying it soon but doubtful it will work till the billing system is in place.
So where on their site does it say TESLA approved it?

Ford F-150 Lightning Received A2Z EV (NACS to CCS) adapter today IMG_3583

They specifically say they cannot name the OEM that approved it. Guess what, OEM means BYD could have “approved” it just as much as Tesla.

Marketing is full of things that imply something, without giving you specifics to avoid getting in a legal entanglement.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Kyle from Out of Spec has mentioned he's heard from Tesla employees that they're making the adaptor in house (I believe he said in New York somewhere)
I have no clue who that is but if you can provide a link that would be sweet.

Sponsored

Lilthumper

First Name
Balakay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F250 PS, 2023 Tesla Model Y Perf., 2023
Occupation
Healthcare
A2Z is simply a heavy duty adapter that should work with low amp AC to DC and high amp DC to DC. It has no tricks inside of it, it's just built to handle high current. I think OP will be just fine on Tesla DC Supercharger to CCS or Tesla AC to J1172

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
A few comments...
  1. You're not going to be able to use any adapter until Ford pushes a software update to your Lightning. Given how Ford pushes OTAs, I would not expect a sudden mad rush on adapters. FordPass/Plug & Charge will be the only way to use a Supercharger -- you'll need the software to do that.
  2. Don't be surprised if your VIN will be required to buy the official adapter, because you won't get sold one unless you have the software to use it.
  3. Tesla already has a record when it comes to third party adapters. While they seem to care little about destination chargers, they're quite protective when it comes to DC charging.
  4. Most owners don't even know that this is coming. Unless you've been nerding out on EVs, only a small segment of owners are chomping at the bit here.
  5. There are a lot of former and current Tesla owners on this forum. Come on, when has Tesla actually made or hit a date for anything. February comments aside, I'd expect it to be landing in Q1 with most owners not getting access to it until Q2 for all of the above reasons.
  6. Given the above, I don't see any need to rush out and hoard adapters that may not even work.

OP
OP

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
It says right on the main adapter page it is approved by Tesla. Tesla is not picky at all with after market adapters. I have 3 different CCS to NACS adapters I use at EA stations and the car could care less. If you read the product timeline you can see they are working with 3 USA OEMs. Either way, don't use it if you're not comfortable. I road trip, and this will be a lifesaver. Waiting for Fords and/or Tesla's adapter will be months to years and the network will be open very soon.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Why does it have to be approved by Tesla? Does Ford need to approve every EVSE charger for Ford vehicles to use it? All the adapter does is pass current. its some copper inside a fancy molding. We already know it works because @tommolog showed it works.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
A2Z is simply a heavy duty adapter that should work with low amp AC to DC and high amp DC to DC. It has no tricks inside of it, it's just built to handle high current. I think OP will be just fine on Tesla DC Supercharger to CCS or Tesla AC to J1172
It can only do DC. There would have to mechanical switching inside to do both, it does not have that. You need an adapter for AC and a different one for DC.

Sponsored

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
A few comments...
  1. You're not going to be able to use any adapter until Ford pushes a software update to your Lightning. Given how Ford pushes OTAs, I would not expect a sudden mad rush on adapters. FordPass/Plug & Charge will be the only way to use a Supercharger -- you'll need the software to do that.
  2. Don't be surprised if your VIN will be required to buy the official adapter, because you won't get sold one unless you have the software to use it.
  3. Tesla already has a record when it comes to third party adapters. While they seem to care little about destination chargers, they're quite protective when it comes to DC charging.
  4. Most owners don't even know that this is coming. Unless you've been nerding out on EVs, only a small segment of owners are chomping at the bit here.
  5. There are a lot of former and current Tesla owners on this forum. Come on, when has Tesla actually made or hit a date for anything. February comments aside, I'd expect it to be landing in Q1 with most owners not getting access to it until Q2 for all of the above reasons.
  6. Given the above, I don't see any need to rush out and hoard adapters that may not even work.
What software push did Ford send to allow Lightening/MachE to work at magicDoc superchargers? The only software needed is on the Tesla side.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
What software push did Ford send to allow Lightening/MachE to work at magicDoc superchargers? The only software needed is on the Tesla side.
Part of the deal for NACS is that the vehicles must support plug n charge for the Tesla experience.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
A few comments...
Just a few observation points:

1. An OTA is not required to add a provider to the BOCN.

2. Moot point. No software required.

3. Tesla was protective about DC adapters because it can directly affect their vehicle. This is the inverse of that.

5. Tesla actually does really well with infrastructure rollout and usually meets their quarterly goals when it comes to charging. Tesla is most likely done and ready to rollout, itprobably Ford that is the holdout.

6. Buying an adapter that is ensured to work isn’t hoarding.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I have no clue who that is but if you can provide a link that would be sweet.
He is a YouTuber with over 200,000 subscribers that has been providing EV information for years now. He is well known and respected in the industry.

Check YouTube for Out of Spec.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
Part of the deal for NACS is that the vehicles must support plug n charge for the Tesla experience.
The only benefit for plug n charge using a supercharger is for FordPass to upcharge. It was literally faster for me to turn on the Tesla supercharger in the app and plug the charger in that it was for me to wait at the EA charger for it to do the handshake and me to wait to press the “start charge” button on the charger. It’s already better than the best EA/FordPass experience (minus the short cable).
Sponsored