Sponsored

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Patiently waiting for mine. I'd rather wait now than wait after the network opens up.

I regularly drive across a couple of CCS charging deserts that have NACS Superchargers, and would prefer not to wait for Ford (or A2Z) to ship a charger.

Yes, it's probably unnecessary - just like the small pile of adapters that have never made it out of the frunk. But I don't regret having those, either.
Glad I'm not alone in that :ROFLMAO: I have adapters for just about everything except NACS. I've used about 1/2 of them and am glad I had them when the need came up.
Sponsored

deserthi

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Tech
I pre-ordered the A2Z adapter in December because I expect that it's going to take 6 months to a year to get the Ford adapter. I think that those of us who bought before the announcement it may be on the longer side. They'll prioritize new buyers and people who've bought recently.

If Tesla releases an adapter it will chow up much sooner but for a higher price, probably at least double the A2Z.
We are supposed to get these adapters from ford once Tesla opens up the ability to use these for Ford and not until. I am concerned because these were supposed to come in February and there is not the slightest hint from Ford or Tesla about this with only a couple of weeks to February. This is going to be a game changer and I really want it bad.

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Glad I'm not alone in that :ROFLMAO: I have adapters for just about everything except NACS.
I even have one of those Farley-trolling-Tesla J-1772 to NACS adapters, so I can give a boost to a dead Tesla. Can't imagine that will ever be actually useful, but I am ready.

dww

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L, Tesla 3P, YP
It says right on the main adapter page it is approved by Tesla. Tesla is not picky at all with after market adapters. I have 3 different CCS to NACS adapters I use at EA stations and the car could care less. If you read the product timeline you can see they are working with 3 USA OEMs. Either way, don't use it if you're not comfortable. I road trip, and this will be a lifesaver. Waiting for Fords and/or Tesla's adapter will be months to years and the network will be open very soon.
San Antonio to South Padre is for all practical purposes impossible with CCS. Tesla has two V3 and two V2 (4 total) charger stops on that route. Traveling through Dallas to Tulsa the CCS chargers are poorly distributed (miles off highway, too close to last charger, to far away from next charger). Tesla has a V3 charger in Durant that is midway. Being able to use this charger would cut almost an hour off a trip from SA to Tulsa. Early 2024 NACS adapters was a primary reason for me choosing Lightning.

Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
if it breaks my car, causes a fire, voids my warranty, or makes be become a Tesla owner…duhh🤷‍♂️

I am sorry you are willing to risk your truck. I am not so accept it.
To be clear, I haven't ordered the adaptor and am waiting to see what the official offer is from Ford. I like having choices. That said, I think the "tin foil hat" fear of using a 3rd party adapter is toward the extreme end of fear. Yes, there are many bad adaptors out there and performing due diligence before purchase is wise. I've been keeping up on the news around A2Z's offering and I haven't seen anything to make me balk and using their product. They are going above and beyond what is required (which really isn't anything right now). The fact that they are working with any OEM should tell you that they have some level of legitimacy. I'm very eager to see what Ford/Tesla distribute and to compare it to the experience that the A2Z early adopters have.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
We are supposed to get these adapters from ford once Tesla opens up the ability to use these for Ford and not until. I am concerned because these were supposed to come in February and there is not the slightest hint from Ford or Tesla about this with only a couple of weeks to February. This is going to be a game changer and I really want it bad.
Don’t hold your breathe, BC 1.2,3,4 was suppose to be released to the Lightning by the end of 2023 too. 🙁

itdwebman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 TOYT 4Runner, 2023 Lariat ER
I will wait for a Telsa / Ford certified adapter.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
The only benefit for plug n charge using a supercharger is for FordPass to upcharge. It was literally faster for me to turn on the Tesla supercharger in the app and plug the charger in that it was for me to wait at the EA charger for it to do the handshake and me to wait to press the “start charge” button on the charger. It’s already better than the best EA/FordPass experience (minus the short cable).
You won’t be able to use the app to start a Supercharger with the adapter. Tesla will need to verify the vehicle is a Ford by reading the VIN or the MAC address through PLC before it will allow it to charge. Otherwise once they open it to Ford any vehicle could get an adapter and use the app. The only Superchargers that will activate through the app will be Magic Docks.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Don’t hold your breathe, BC 1.2,3,4 was suppose to be released to the Lightning by the end of 2023 too. 🙁
Would be nice for the updates to start flowing again. I think someone at Ford forgot to reboot that Windows Millennium edition PC back up so they can get things moving.

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
Would be nice for the updates to start flowing again. I think someone at Ford forgot to reboot that Windows Millennium edition PC back up so they can get things moving.
I wonder if they are waiting to get more BMS modules replaced before they start another push.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
You won’t be able to use the app to start a Supercharger with the adapter. Tesla will need to verify the vehicle is a Ford by reading the VIN or the MAC address through PLC before it will allow it to charge. Otherwise once they open it to Ford any vehicle could get an adapter and use the app. The only Superchargers that will activate through the app will be Magic Docks.
This 100%. It's a requirement for the deal. Tesla will only support payment through the app for Magic Dock.

OP
OP

tnugentfl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning lariat ext range
This isn't correct. Billing is going to be handled through the BOCN, basically plug and charge. Irrelevant of the adapter. Magic Dock was clearly a testing apparatus for Tesla, and I wouldn't expect the rollout to continue. Everyone is obsessing over the adapter and it is simply moving the pins, making the ports on the car and charger compatible. CCS and v3 NACS communicate on the same ISO standard. The adapter is "dumb", just a physical connection. Everyone is making too much of this. Tesla and Ford can make this happen overnight if they so choose, and it is clear Ford and GM will be the first beneficiary's of the Supercharger network.

Grease Lightning

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
To be clear, I haven't ordered the adaptor and am waiting to see what the official offer is from Ford. I like having choices. That said, I think the "tin foil hat" fear of using a 3rd party adapter is toward the extreme end of fear. Yes, there are many bad adaptors out there and performing due diligence before purchase is wise. I've been keeping up on the news around A2Z's offering and I haven't seen anything to make me balk and using their product. They are going above and beyond what is required (which really isn't anything right now). The fact that they are working with any OEM should tell you that they have some level of legitimacy. I'm very eager to see what Ford/Tesla distribute and to compare it to the experience that the A2Z early adopters have.
To be clear I don’t have a “tin hat” mentality, but this company is clearly using misleading and potentially deceptive advertising and that should cause the hairs on any normal person to stand up on their neck.

Let’s be honest. If these were officially approved by Tesla, do you not think that the NDA and approval would have also required them to delay releasing it to coincide with Tesla’s own release and when you can actually use them? Don’t you think. Tesla is a very successful company. This is not there first rodeo and are not stupid enough to give away a competitive advantage.

Again smells like rotten fish and I choose to not get food poisoning.

Last edited: