• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Phone Mount by Shifter?

gcseibert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Does anyone know of a phone mount that would sit in the space in front of the shifter (see photo)? I have seen many items that fit in the cup holders, but can't seem to figure out how to search for one that would sit in the shifter recess. Since the Android Auto connection is so bad (I connect less than 5% of the time) I'm trying to find a good way to mount my phone without permanently attaching anything to the truck or taking up the cup holder space. Does anyone have any recommended products for this purpose?

Ford F-150 Lightning Phone Mount by Shifter? 1706199159705
Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
The only issue with that is the possible damage to the shifter assembly if you push the stow button by mistake while something is in that recess where the shifter stows.
The manual says never put anything in that hole, although I often have ....

Reactions: N87

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You do realize that the shifter folds down into that recess?

OP
OP

gcseibert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Yes, I am aware the shifter folds down in the recess, so I'd be looking for something that just sits in there and can be easily pulled out if I want to recess the shifter. Right now I just throw my phone in there so I'm not taking up the cup holders.

butterfb

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Occupation
Senior Support Engineer
The one that i like goes into the Coin holder and allows a holder to be attached by a ball. Currently trying to print this one up as i was planning on putting a flat charger down under the mat in the front storage but that is no longer my plan

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I tuck mine in the long slot between the shifter and cup holders, granted you can't look at it, but you're not really supposed to while driving.

Ford F-150 Lightning Phone Mount by Shifter? 1706203414335

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
BTW, try adjusting your frequent / remembered wifi connection rules on the phone, I've modified all but one to allow auto-connect to my phone and that's the trucks projection SSID, all others including my house wifi must be manually allowed to connect to my phone.

This process trades off conveniences of quick connections wherever I travel to speed up and improve the trucks connection to my phone. It's not for everyone, just thought I'd mention that.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have been working on a design for a 3D print to fit into that space and hold a phone, but haven't dialed it in yet and got sidelined on other projects. If I ever get it finished, I will definitely post it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I tuck mine in the long slot between the shifter and cup holders, granted you can't look at it, but you're not really supposed to while driving.

1706203414335.png
That’s where I park mine.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

1706203414335.png
I put mine there too…

Does anyone know of a phone mount that would sit in the space in front of the shifter (see photo)? I have seen many items that fit in the cup holders, but can't seem to figure out how to search for one that would sit in the shifter recess. Since the Android Auto connection is so bad (I connect less than 5% of the time) I'm trying to find a good way to mount my phone without permanently attaching anything to the truck or taking up the cup holder space. Does anyone have any recommended products for this purpose?

1706199159705.png
I don’t have AA, but can you plug it in for a more reliable connection?

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Plugging the phone into the truck with a USB-C cable does nothing to improve the Android Auto connectivity.
Plugging the phone into the USB-C cable connects the phone directly and makes Android Auto work every time, in my experience.

There's something going on with your phone if you are having the connection issues you describe. My phone connects so seamlessly it annoys me if I've backed out of my driveway before Android Auto is working.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
Plugging the phone into the truck with a USB-C cable does nothing to improve the Android Auto connectivity.
This is 100% the opposite of my experience. Plugging the phone in with USB-C delivers a wired AA experience that works every time. I use it on the rare occasions wireless doesn't work.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I use a VPN to block ads on my phone, which prevents AA [edit, the wireless connection] from working properly (if anyone knows a fix for this, please share) so I always plug in. Connection is up and running in under 5 seconds every time.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER

1706203414335.png
Same, half the time I forget to pick it up when I get out of the truck. :D
Sponsored