First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette, F150 Lighnting, Mercedes GLC300
Occupation
retired
I ran into a dilemma the other day while doing a number of module updates with FDRS. I was a proponent and user of 2xPL2320s. Since I experienced the issue I'm about to explain, I've bitten the bullet and ordered a PL6100.

I connected the dual 2320s to the jump start connectors under the right-side cover in the frunk, started both and turned on supply mode, connected the mongoose, logged into FDRS and away I went. Followed the process laid out in this forum and updated a number of modules at least one of which updated a number of other modules in a series of automated updates. All this time the LVB voltage shown in FDRS was hanging in the 12.4/7 range when actually programming, and mid 13s when between modules. When I selected CMR, and the process started, voltage dropped like it went off a cliff. First to mid 12s like before then started counting down. It got to 11.7 before the update failed. My fault for not cancelling much earlier I know that.

I do not know why I had this issue this time, the lowest voltage I've seen before using FDRS with the dual 20 amp sources is about 12.4. It seems the 40 amps available with the dual PL2320s is not sufficient in the scenario I've just described. I know a lot of folks are using the dual 20 amp power sources with success and have been for quite some time. I'm just relating an experience I had and asking a couple of questions.

Anyone know what maximum amperage pulled during FDRS programming is? Was it the CMR module that draws more than the others, was it because I had already done a number of modules and the actual battery SOC was getting lower? I just don't know.
Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I don't think the CMR draws more juice per say so much as the fact that it takes longer to update causing more of a strain on the battery. If it struggled with the CMR, then I can only imagine with the IPMA that takes 3 hours.

OP
OP

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I don't think the CMR draws more juice per say so much as the fact that it takes longer to update causing more of a strain on the battery. If it struggled with the CMR, then I can only imagine with the IPMA that takes 3 hours.
I had kind of the same thought, that I had already strained the SOC with the number of modules that were updated before the CMR attempt. It truly was a failure also; I drove the truck today and I received a screen message the driver facing camera was unavailable and then lane keeping unavailable. I will attempt to put things right this weekend after I get the PL6100.

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
I had kind of the same thought, that I had already strained the SOC with the number of modules that were updated before the CMR attempt. It truly was a failure also; I drove the truck today and I received a screen message the driver facing camera was unavailable and then lane keeping unavailable. I will attempt to put things right this weekend after I get the PL6100.
Is the CMR purple in FDRS?

Sponsored
OP
OP

BSull

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
CMR was purple. Tried programming again and it failed with programming failure on module F120-MB6T-3G604-NE. I’m trying a PMI now but it seems to be stuck in a loop F188-MB6T-3G604-CE internal operation in progress. I did say no to is original module installed.
May have toasted the CMR.
How long should PMI take on the CMR?

Last edited:

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
It seems the 40 amps available with the dual PL2320s is not sufficient in the scenario I've just described. I know a lot of folks are using the dual 20 amp power sources with success and have been for quite some time. I'm just relating an experience I had and asking a couple of questions.

Anyone know what maximum amperage pulled during FDRS programming is? Was it the CMR module that draws more than the others, was it because I had already done a number of modules and the actual battery SOC was getting lower? I just don't know.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/post-361197

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Auto Sales
CMR was purple. Tried programming again and it failed with programming failure on module F120-MB6T-3G604-NE. I’m trying a PMI now but it seems to be stuck in a loop F188-MB6T-3G604-CE internal operation in progress. I did say no to is original module installed.
May have toasted the CMR.
How long should PMI take on the CMR?
45-60 minutes.

VIN?

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
My LVB got down to a terrifying 7.8V (I think this cannot have been the true voltage - see below) reported in FDRS when my nominally 40A continuous, 50A peak bench power supply failed during my recent IPMA update. The screens and cooling pumps shut down as voltage dropped towards "8V" and I was sure the IPMA would be toast, but, shockingly, things kept chugging along for nearly 10 minutes with FDRS chewing through each flash block without errors, while I frantically chained together two sets of jumper cables to connect the jumper posts to the battery on our full size van parked in the next garage bay. Thank goodness that trick worked. When the van's battery pulled the system voltage up to around 9V reported, everything turned back on (I wish it hadn't, really, since this doubtless greatly increased draw). Voltage continued rising to just under 12V and gradually reached 12.1V by the time the update finished. And thank goodness the van even started afterwards!

It's possible different modules have different degrees of DC voltage tolerance. From what I saw vs what others have reported with failures at 10-11V, in fact, I would say it's likely.

The bench supply that failed was a cheap one from Amazon and even turned up to its maximum 15V max, couldn't hold voltage above 12V once load got around 32A. For most of the update, its gauges were showing about 11.8V and 42A - just under a 500W continuous load. That would be just about 39A of current at 12.7V or only 36A at the usual 13.8V AGM float charge voltage. I think the bottom line here is that so long as Ford doesn't change things to disable the pumps, fans, screens, etc. or enable the DC-DC converter during FDRS updates, updating is a 500W continuous load, and a supply that can handle that load with tight voltage regulation is key. Otherwise voltage will start dropping, load will increase, and things will not go well. In a nutshell - sure, at 13.8V it's safe to think of this as a 40A load, but a lot of nominally 40A chargers out there will not hold 13.8V and then their current rating will be exceeded. At the 8V (!) my reported LVB voltage dropped to by the time I got those jumper cables hooked up, the van's battery would have been supplying over 60A while things recovered.

I was in such a panic I did not think to put a multimeter on the posts and measure the actual voltage vs what FDRS was showing. I don't think it could possibly have been 8V, because the voltage vs charge graph for a 12V AGM battery shows 10.5V at 0% charge. I wonder if this means that even though I had the LV BMS recall performed, I have a bad sensor?

I've purchased a 75W PowerMax brand RV charger/converter for future use, since I know from experience they can handle large continuous loads in both automatic and fixed-voltage modes.
Sponsored

Last edited: